Signed by Cowboys Safety George Iloka signed

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
I am warming up to the Iloka signing a little.

He is not the safety I want and I hope they draft one and early but Iloka does offer something. At worst he offers special teams play and experienced depth and that is nothing to sneeze at. But he also would be an upgrade on obvious running plays over Heath. Maybe an Iloka/Heath tandem at SS is better than just Heath. He also is capable of playing F/S in a pinch as is Heath so if Woods were to be injured we could trot out Heath and Iloka together. Better than Frazier and any other backup Safety's we have and better than Heath vs the run.

Rayman70

Reaction score

He is not the safety I want and I hope they draft one and early but Iloka does offer something. At worst he offers special teams play and experienced depth and that is nothing to sneeze at. But he also would be an upgrade on obvious running plays over Heath. Maybe an Iloka/Heath tandem at SS is better than just Heath. He also is capable of playing F/S in a pinch as is Heath so if Woods were to be injured we could trot out Heath and Iloka together. Better than Frazier and any other backup Safety's we have and better than Heath vs the run.
its like warming up to that ugly gal at the bar after a couple beers..then a couple more..then so on. By the end of the night you are convinced she's a knockout and will make ya happy... Put a paper sack on ole George Iloka and call him EARL THOMAS? lol...

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
This is why free agency needs to be AFTER the draft.

We’re just covering our basis in case we run into a Taco Charlton situation. I’d love Thornhill or Savage at 58 ... but so do 31 other teams
I doubt there’s 1 GM in the entire league who would rather have FA after the draft. FA gives a team the chance, like the Cowboys, to not have to reach for a player early and screw up your entire offseason.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
a guy we draft won't come in and light it up. It will take time. Too bad ET was money driven and not team driven..he would be here and we wouldn't be having this convo.
True but the draft pick has a much better chance of improving and still playing by years end while an old vet will probably be in the tub.

Reaction score
Not true.

They changed the coverage scheme when they hired Kris Richard.

Yea, we play cover 1 and cover 3. But we interchanged Woods and Heath as the high safety. Regardless, Woods will be one starter for sure. His play was better than Heath. Plus, Stephen has said as much by speaking of him in glowing terms.

John813

Reaction score
Good. He's a good tackler and can man the SS spot when we need "8 in the box".
I doubt they deploy him on 3rd and long, but we'll see.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I hear ya, but....
1) Woods
2) Iloka
3) Heath
4) Draft pick 2nd/3rd round
5) Thompson or Frazier
... let's not play like it's a slam dunk, Kavon is gonna be in a competition.

That's assuming we spend a draft pick on the position. We've drafted two (Woods, Frazier) in the last four years.

It's also assuming Thompson could beat out Frazier, which I'm not sure is the case since at the fifth safety position, special teams will be a priority.

I'm not saying Frazier is the type of player who should feel like there's no competition for his spot. I'm just not sure there will be. And that's not a big deal as long as he's down there in that fifth spot.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Very good signing.
But yet another one year deal.
What is up with all these one year deals.

We will have around 30 FA’s come next year.
What is the FO really,doing here.

Filling gaps with players hoping to perform well enough to get a better deal next year, while the team is hoping to draft well enough that it doesn't need them for more than a year.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Did you see the thread—I think it was Jumbo—that pointed out the Cowboys’ apparent proclivity to double dip? Recent past history has shown several instances where they signed a player to a one or two year contract, then drafted at the same position. Having said that, do you think that “tipped their hand” and affected how other teams drafted?

That's more of what I was thinking. I think DE and S are going to be our main targets and for good reason.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Do we know he's really better than Frazier or do we just assume he is?