Signed by Cowboys Safety George Iloka signed

blueblood70

Reaction score
TC will sort all of this out..we have a lot of competition now with depth and lets see who wants it more..lets hope for amore physical TC so we can gauge the Safetys and DL..etc

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Nice. At least he is an experienced player. And an upgrade over Heath.

Now we just need to complete the trade for Quinn and then I would be comfortable moving on to the draft.
He may be an upgrade, but will they start him over Heath?

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Oh, my poor boy. If you don't think Harrison Smith is the best safety in football, then you don't understand football. But here's a decent "source" for my point:

https://apnews.com/d58900e2194d42d08d26c77c0c4d8312

"The AP voters overwhelmingly agreed. Smith received 97 points in a 10-points-to-one-point system, garnering eight of 10 first-place votes. He finished second on one ballot and third on the other to easily outdistance the New York Giants’ Landon Collins, who had 69 points."

Did you look at the rankings? They have Landon Collins as #2. Now Landon Collins isn't a bad safety, he's good to very good at times, he was nowhere near the second best safety in football in 2018. Heck, half this board goes on about how Collins gets burned. Let everyone look at the full top 10.

The rankings:

1. Harrison Smith, Vikings

2. Landon Collins, Giants

3. Earl Thomas, Seahawks

4. Kevin Byard, Titans

5. Devin McCourty, Patriots

6. D.J. Swearinger, Commanders

7. Jamal Adams, Jets

8. Derwin James, Chargers

9. Eric Weddle, Ravens

10. Eric Berry, Chiefs

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Yup. They want us to keep our guys and pay big money in FA, as if the latter won’t impact our ability to do the former.

You continue posting the same thing in literally every thread. It's going on 20 years since we've had a great safety and nearly a decade since we had a great DT.

That'st he problem.

ConceptCoop

Reaction score
You continue posting the same thing in literally every thread. It's going on 20 years since we've had a great safety and nearly a decade since we had a great DT.

That'st he problem.

That’s a silly way to look at things. The last 20 seasons are immaterial. We have to manage the resources we have today.

We have 6 pro-bowl players to re-sign and we can’t afford to keep them AND spend big money at safety/DT. We should always prioritize our own guys, rather than get in bidding wars with the market.

Edit: And I keep posting it because you lot keep whining in literally. Every. Single. Thread.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
That’s a silly way to look at things. The last 20 seasons are immaterial. We have to manage the resources we have today.

We have 6 pro-bowl players to re-sign and we can’t afford to keep them AND spend big money at safety/DT. We should always prioritize our own guys, rather than get in bidding wars with the market.

Edit: And I keep posting it because you lot keep whining in literally. Every. Single. Thread.

LOL what a load of absolute crap.

The absolute incompetence of not being able to fill multiple holes on our defense for decades is not "immaterial" - it shows a pattern and a problem. Stop spinning with homerism.

Yes, yes we can afford to pay both a safety and DT. We could have paid Earl Thomas his money, paid good money for a DT and STILL have been good when it comes to the cap. The only way our cap starts to matter is if we are stupid and overpay Cooper, Elliott, and Dak. If anything, what the point you don't realize you're making, you are saying Jones can't be trusted with the cap - which I would agree, they work in extremes - either giving too much or too little.

This doesn't change the fact, that for another season, we will be going in with bargain bin and very below average safeties and DTs. You may not care about that, but I kinda like having competent players...at the very least, at all positions. That's normally how you get to the big dance.

ConceptCoop

Reaction score
LOL what a load of absolute crap.

The absolute incompetence of not being able to fill multiple holes on our defense for decades is not "immaterial" - it shows a pattern and a problem. Stop spinning with homerism.

Yes, yes we can afford to pay both a safety and DT. We could have paid Earl Thomas his money, paid good money for a DT and STILL have been good when it comes to the cap. The only way our cap starts to matter is if we are stupid and overpay Cooper, Elliott, and Dak. If anything, what the point you don't realize you're making, you are saying Jones can't be trusted with the cap - which I would agree, they work in extremes - either giving too much or too little.

This doesn't change the fact, that for another season, we will be going in with bargain bin and very below average safeties and DTs. You may not care about that, but I kinda like having competent players...at the very least, at all positions. That's normally how you get to the big dance.

Are you really arguing that we should take our past needs into account when constructing the roster today?

“We should re-sign Jaylon Smith.”

“Sean Lee was great not too long ago. We haven’t had a great safety in 20 years, however. Let’s spend that money at safety instead.”

“What about Tank?”

“Remember Demarcus Ware and Greg Hardy? We’re set at DE. But who was the last great DT?! We better let Tank walk and sign a DT instead.”

:facepalm:

And no; we can’t afford to overpay Earl Thomas and a big name DT and keep all of our guys.

Have you seen the Patriots rosters over the last 5 years? Their WRs have been awful. Every roster is going to have holes. It’s the salary cap era - you can’t just throw money at all of your holes.

Sydla

Reaction score
Harrison Smith is one of the best safeties in football.

Why are some of you arguin about him?

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Are you really arguing that we should take our past needs into account when constructing the roster today?

“We should re-sign Jaylon Smith.”

“Sean Lee was great not too long ago. We haven’t had a great safety in 20 years, however. Let’s spend that money at safety instead.”

“What about Tank?”

“Remember Demarcus Ware and Greg Hardy? We’re set at DE. But who was the last great DT?! We better let Tank walk and sign a DT instead.”

:facepalm:

And no; we can’t afford to overpay Earl Thomas and a big name DT and keep all of our guys.

Have you seen the Patriots rosters over the last 5 years? Their WRs have been awful. Every roster is going to have holes. It’s the salary cap era - you can’t just throw money at all of your holes.

I'm saying that there were missed opportunities in past free agencies, and yes, even within the draft to fill the DT and safety need. Because the Jones work in extremes and their bad contracts in the past, it held us back from making a big splash. Now, because the Jones didn't understand how to work the cap in the past, they think spending money only one bargain bin players is the way to go and only focusing on the draft....where they'll ignore DT and safety anyways at the top of the draft. Worse yet, because they got desperate - they gave up a first round pick for a WR. So, if look at this - we haven't spent a first round pick on a safety or DT in years, yet in the past 10 years, we've spent two first round picks on WRs and one first round pick on an RB. Skill positions. All of which has resulted in 0 trophies because our defense is never where it needs to be to win a Super Bowl.

You're okay with mediocrity. I'm not.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
No idea. Mattjames has gone off the deep end.

I never stated Harrison Smith isn't a top safety - I asked you to post a source that he was in 2018. You gave me AP, which had Landon Collins right behind Harrison Smith and then had Earl Thomas (didn't play the entire season) and Eric Berry in the top 10 LOL

And then you cry about PFF.

PFF has Smith at #14 - it's not as though they said he sucked.

ConceptCoop

Reaction score
I'm saying that there were missed opportunities in past free agencies, and yes, even within the draft to fill the DT and safety need. Because the Jones work in extremes and their bad contracts in the past, it held us back from making a big splash. Now, because the Jones didn't understand how to work the cap in the past, they think spending money only one bargain bin players is the way to go and only focusing on the draft....where they'll ignore DT and safety anyways at the top of the draft. Worse yet, because they got desperate - they gave up a first round pick for a WR. So, if look at this - we haven't spent a first round pick on a safety or DT in years, yet in the past 10 years, we've spent two first round picks on WRs and one first round pick on an RB. Skill positions. All of which has resulted in 0 trophies because our defense is never where it needs to be to win a Super Bowl.

You're okay with mediocrity. I'm not.

Are you arguing that we shouldn’t heavily take BPA into account when drafting? We can’t control how the board falls. We didn’t draft Zeke and Dez because we were set on taking a WR and RB. We drafted them because we judged them to be the best available players on the board.

If we traded for Earl instead of Cooper, you’d be here whining about how we need a WR.

I’m not okay with mediocrity, I just don’t have the simple view that since we haven’t won a ring, everything we’ve done has been the wrong decision.

Our roster has been very strong over the last 10 years. There are a lot of reasons that we haven’t won a SB. The biggest are coaching and injuries to Tony Romo; not because we have’t spent big in FA.

Sydla

Reaction score
And as much as I wanted Iloka because I think he's better than Heath, I hope they draft a kid that's so good he puts both Iloka and Heath on the bench immediately.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Are you arguing that we shouldn’t heavily take BPA into account when drafting? We can’t control how the board falls. We didn’t draft Zeke and Dez because we were set on taking a WR and RB. We drafted them because we judged them to be the best available players on the board.

If we traded for Earl instead of Cooper, you’d be here whining about how we need a WR.

I’m not okay with mediocrity, I just don’t have the simple view that since we haven’t won a ring, everything we’ve done has been the wrong decision.

Our roster has been very strong over the last 10 years. There are a lot of reasons that we haven’t won a SB. The biggest are coaching and injuries to Tony Romo; not because we have’t spent big in FA.

BS and stop revising history. There have been multiple defensive players we have passed on that have went on to have great years in the NFL for skill players. When we get desperate and move up, we get guys like Morris Claiborne - when we could have had a player like Harrison Smith (you know, the guy everyone is loving in this very thread) - the need at safety was there much longer than the corner position in 2012 - we at least addressed the corner position already in FA before the 2012 season.

And you wouldn't hear whining from me if we didn't get a WR - it's a skill position, they don't win you super bowls by overpaying for them.

ConceptCoop

Reaction score
BS and stop revising history. There have been multiple defensive players we have passed on that have went on to have great years in the NFL for skill players. When we get desperate and move up, we get guys like Morris Claiborne - when we could have had a player like Harrison Smith (you know, the guy everyone is loving in this very thread) - the need at safety was there much longer than the corner position in 2012 - we at least addressed the corner position already in FA before the 2012 season.

And you wouldn't hear whining from me if we didn't get a WR - it's a skill position, they don't win you super bowls by overpaying for them.

I don't think I there's a productive conversation to have with you. GL to you and go Cowboys!

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
His stats page says he was active for 16 games last year but was benched for 13 of them, with no major injury.

Did the Eagles just sign the guy who started ahead of him to be a backup... and you just signed the backup to start? Is that what happened?