Signed by Cowboys Safety George Iloka signed

Sydla

Reaction score
His stats page says he was active for 16 games last year but was benched for 13 of them, with no major injury.

Did the Eagles just sign the guy who started ahead of him to be a backup... and you just signed the backup to start? Is that what happened?

Yep but our signed safety will improve upon what we already had, which was a defense better than yours last year, and your S will sit on the bench and do nothing to improve your defense.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Cowboys have had Sendejo before. 32 this year also.

Player History

11/10 DAL P/SQ 12
11/10 DAL activated 13
09/11 DAL waived
09/11 NYJ w/claim DAL 1
09/11 NYJ waived 2
09/11 NYJ P/SQ 2 - 4
11/11 MIN FA 13
12/16 MIN IR 17
10/17 MIN suspended 1 game week 8 for hit on Mike Wallace
10/17 MIN reinstated week 9
11/18 MIN IR 13
03/19 MIN UFA
03/19 PHI UFA signed

https://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/player/36801/

Last edited:

speedkilz88

Reaction score

• I believe he sees things well. There is football intelligence to his game. Doesn’t get fooled.
  • Consistent wrap up tackler. He’s not going to let you down in this area. He will deliver a blow on the goal line.
  • Would not call him quick footed. There is not smoothness to his game. His length doesn’t allow him to be quick. Hard for him to really cover ground. Feel he’s best when near the line.
  • In any type of coverage where he’s going to have to carry a receiver down the field, his lack of speed is going to be a problem. To turn and run is an issue.
  • Reminds me of Barry Church in the way he plays. Physical but lacks athletic traits. Need to play him around the line in order for him to have a chance. The deeper he plays the more issues he has.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

• I believe he sees things well. There is football intelligence to his game. Doesn’t get fooled.
  • Consistent wrap up tackler. He’s not going to let you down in this area. He will deliver a blow on the goal line.
  • Would not call him quick footed. There is not smoothness to his game. His length doesn’t allow him to be quick. Hard for him to really cover ground. Feel he’s best when near the line.
  • In any type of coverage where he’s going to have to carry a receiver down the field, his lack of speed is going to be a problem. To turn and run is an issue.
  • Reminds me of Barry Church in the way he plays. Physical but lacks athletic traits. Need to play him around the line in order for him to have a chance. The deeper he plays the more issues he has.

I can recognize a Broddus analysis without seeing his name attached to it.

This might be Iloka now but over his career that's not how he was used on the majority of snaps.

Iloka primarily played as the deep Safety or in 2-deep coverage with the Bengals. Church never played as the deep Safety in college, with the Cowboys or with Jax.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
The reason Dallas had that plan was because of how good Heath was beginning to play as a deep safety. His speed and range allow him to be pretty good at that and better than anything Iloka is liable to provide in coverage.

Heath was the best safety we've had for breaking on the ball since forever. He would fly across the field and have the hands and body control to make a play on the ball.

We should have been playing him as a single high FS. As long as he has the play in front of him, he can make plays. Playing him near the LOS in coverage exposes his worst traits.

Heath and Byron were both wasted for multiple years. It's too bad. We could have had a much better secondary if those guys were used right.

Woods is used wrong as well. He's the one who should be near the LOS in coverage. He can perform in the slot. They just needed to put a little more weight on him. But he doesn't have the speed to play single high.

Reaction score
Not true.

They changed the coverage scheme when they hired Kris Richard.

FYI. From Jerry yesterday: Jones said he was impressed by the Iloka’s versatility. “I think he, the fact he played some free and the fact we, that's the way we like to play them, we like some interchangeability back there,” Jones said. He does have some experience and I think when you add of all that up, he fits that pretty good, he's not just a total down guy. He gives us position flex and in the competitiveness aspect of it.”

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
If we are in the grouping of 80% of teams please list team wins since 2016. Where do we rank? Since 2014?

Who has drafted better than the Cowboys in that same time frame?

I'll wait... But I don't got all day.

That speaks to coaching.

Also, Garrett aside who is viewed probably rightly in middle tier of coaches... We've always had top and highly recruited coaching staff that was extremely well paid.
Im counting Lomabardis and playoff wins, and Im not sure what your reference to drafting during that time frame applies to, I never said we haven't drafted well.
Having Linehan as an OC wasted valuable time, every year a player gets closer to the end of their career, and in the NFL, careers are short for most players.
Its about having the best coaching and staff in place, but you have to be able to step back as owner/CEO, and that hasn't been the case for a very long time.
Not sure what your narrative is pertaining to here.

Sydla

Reaction score
Heath was the best safety we've had for breaking on the ball since forever. He would fly across the field and have the hands and body control to make a play on the ball.

We should have been playing him as a single high FS. As long as he has the play in front of him, he can make plays. Playing him near the LOS in coverage exposes his worst traits.

Heath and Byron were both wasted for multiple years. It's too bad. We could have had a much better secondary if those guys were used right.

Woods is used wrong as well. He's the one who should be near the LOS in coverage. He can perform in the slot. They just needed to put a little more weight on him. But he doesn't have the speed to play single high.

I really like to know where this idea that Heath is a really good single high FS came from? Sure, he's made a few plays in his time here but he also has a history of misread plays, late to react to situations, etc.

He should not be a starter at any S position for this team. A solid backup? Sure.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
FYI. From Jerry yesterday: Jones said he was impressed by the Iloka’s versatility. “I think he, the fact he played some free and the fact we, that's the way we like to play them, we like some interchangeability back there,” Jones said. He does have some experience and I think when you add of all that up, he fits that pretty good, he's not just a total down guy. He gives us position flex and in the competitiveness aspect of it.”
Flexibility is great, but its why you get guys like lloka on the cheap when compared to your top safties that can stay in for 3 downs.
When you take that "flexability" approach" to several players, it just equates to a weaker roster over all.
53 man rosters.. if the league ever expanded the base roster to say 57.. 58, grabbing these guys would be beneficial.
Having said that, lloka will probably still beat out Heath for playing time during camp.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
I really like to know where this idea that Heath is a really good single high FS came from? Sure, he's made a few plays in his time here but he also has a history of misread plays, late to react to situations, etc.

He should not be a starter at any S position for this team. A solid backup? Sure.
Heaths issue has always been several areas, but primarily his angles.
How many times have you seen Heath misjudge his angle of approach rather on a passing assignment or running play.
Heath is a try hard semi athlete that lacks the natural instincts required at this level of the game to actually improve.
His ceiling has always been low, but he has a decent motor for what its worth, that's why he remains in this league and on this team.

Sydla

Reaction score
Heaths issue has always been several areas, but primarily his angles.
How many times have you seen Heath misjudge his angle of approach rather on a passing assignment or running play.
Heath is a try hard semi athlete that lacks the natural instincts required at this level of the game to actually improve.
His ceiling has always been low, but he has a decent motor for what its worth, that's why he remains in this league and on this team.

And he clearly has a valuable role here in Dallas if they put him in it - special teams ace, back up S.

But people trying to argue he's a legit starting S are overvaluing him.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
And he clearly has a valuable role here in Dallas if they put him in it - special teams ace, back up S.

I agree with that, attitude, motor, Heath knows those are his greatest attributes, cant deny that.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
I can recognize a Broddus analysis without seeing his name attached to it.

This might be Iloka now but over his career that's not how he was used on the majority of snaps.

Iloka primarily played as the deep Safety or in 2-deep coverage with the Bengals. Church never played as the deep Safety in college, with the Cowboys or with Jax.
We can't post Owning's stuff because it's DMN
We can't post Sturm's stuff because it's behind a paywall at the Athletic.
Pretty much Broaddus is all we got.

morat1959

Reaction score

What makes him a ST “ace?” Our ST were horrible last season and have been for several years? Have you isolated on him on ST’s because I have. He’s just as bad there as he is as a S.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

AKOYE on Heath.

He has it exactly right. When Heath plays over the top with the play in front of him, he's good. His read, react, and speed lets him make plays. But he's bad in man. Doesn't have the agility for it, particularly if he's forced to flip his hips.

There was much whining about Heath in 2017, while so much love for the young guys.
AKOYE did a breakdown of our breakdowns in the secondary. It wasn't Heath. Couldn't find that one.

And that "made a few plays" is "made more plays than anyone else we've had in the secondary for years".

Denim Chicken

Reaction score

This is a good post and I agree for the most part, except that bit about Woods playing near the line because I have issues with his tackling the same as Heath.