Salary Cap space - Updated

HungryLion

Reaction score
sure they could, but thats bad business. When you have to push things into the future, its just another sign that you dont really have the money.

It’s not though. The contracts are designed to be restructured if/when needed. It only negatively impacts you IF a player doesn’t produce until the end of their contract.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
It’s not though. The contracts are designed to be restructured if/when needed. It only negatively impacts you IF a player doesn’t produce until the end of their contract.

"when needed"? And why would you need it? Because you don't have the money.

You can try, but there is nothing you can say that will change my mind that restructuring and pushing bigger salaries into the future is sound cap management.

Its what Jones did for so long and it simply didnt work. Just what you said. Old guys were having huge back end contracts and we were holding onto them too long and eventually there were several years of lots of dead money.

HungryLion

Reaction score
"when needed"? And why would you need it? Because you don't have the money.

They design the contracts to be restructured if/when they choose to do so. So they can control what years the money hits the cap, so they can decide when they want it going against the cap, if they want to sign other players.

It’s basically a built in option for the front office of when to have the money hitting the cap and how much.

When needed, based on when they want to sign other players on the team and pay out their contracts as well.

The cowboys have plenty of cap space.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
They design the contracts to be restructured if/when they choose to do so. So they can control what years the money hits the cap, so they can decide when they want it going against the cap, if they want to sign other players.

It’s basically a built in option for the front office of when to have the money hitting the cap and how much.

When needed, based on when they want to sign other players on the team and pay out their contracts as well.

Whatever you say buddy. Your one of those "cap is a myth" guys right?

Bigdog

Reaction score
Even in 2013 after the cap stayed flat for 5 years............it was 123m in 2009 and still 123m in 2013..... the Cowboys were not hamstrung from signing guys or forced to cut players

That is on top of the 10m penalty levied on the team after the Miles Austin fiasco

DAL gave Romo 119m, they re-upped SLee, Witten, DWare, MAustin, Ratliff Spears, ASpencer, Church, TNewman, Hamlin, TSmith , Free, RW11, MBIII, Dez

They signed BCarr, GHardy, HMelton, TO, Kosier and several bargain bin FAs

even last year DAL left 30m on the vine that they could have used to add talent or rolled over to this year... they still rolled over 12m with 30m in Dead Money..... they weren't interested in spending more
The Austin thing was not a fiasco imo. I still can’t believe we got penalized for being smarter than the other teams and taken a risk.

Little Jr

Reaction score
LOL.......25 million. There was some drunk guy I was arguing with the other day and I told him we had 25 million left and he went on a tirade.

I think its pretty easy to see that if we were to sign any one of the big names left, especially Dak , there isnt much left without getting creative.
We could sign Dak and Cooper and Dlaw without touching one contract to restructure. We could sign Dak and Cooper while leaving tank on the tag. Without one restructure

I have a feeling you're one those guys who think avg annual is the same as cap hit

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score

Exactly.... when a player has 4 or 5 years left and a large base salary it is smart to restructure

In fact ALL contracts should be restructured if that player is going to play that year for certain..... ALL guaranteed contracts should be spread out as much as possible

It is an interest free loan and in fact it is also cash back.... if you could walk into a bank and get a loan for 1000 dollars and they told you to pay back 900 dollars over the next 4 years smart people would be lining up around the block

With roll over there is no reason not to create the space

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
The Austin thing was not a fiasco imo. I still can’t believe we got penalized for being smarter than the other teams and taken a risk.
DAL did exactly what they were told not to do..... they earned the cap fine..... all it did was put the 10m back on Austins cap where it belonged

Little Jr

Reaction score
Cap Hell is a myth ..... it resets every year and keeps going up
It still amazes me that people believe talking heads when they talk about cap hell.

If people would just take time to study up on the cap and understand it, they would laugh at media guys who talk about and tell people how much trouble a team is in because they're in cap hell.

Little Jr

Reaction score
Paying DLaw and ACooper 34m this year is 10x worse than having 10m in Dead Money 4 years from now

It is simple math but keep believing in Common Core
That's another issue people don't understand, dead money. They think it's some kind of extra cap hit.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
It still amazes me that people believe talking heads when they talk about cap hell.

If people would just take time to study up on the cap and understand it, they would laugh at media guys who talk about and tell people how much trouble a team is in because they're in cap hell.
If I create 50m in cap space and end up with 20m in dead money I am 30m ahead
If I create 10m in cap space and end up with 2m in dead money I am only 8m ahead
If I create 0m in cap space I will have 0m dead money but also 0 net cap space

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
That's another issue people don't understand, dead money. They think it's some kind of extra cap hit.
It is simply the receipt for cap savings already delivered years ago when the cap was 30m lower

It is a sunk cost and has NO BEARING on whether to keep a player or not.....people always say a player can't be cut because of Dead Money..... not true

PITT took a 16m dead cap hit trading AB but they actually saved 1m this year and 15m next year

When DAL cut TRomo they had 19m in dead cap but they saved 34m on the cap over those 2 years.... it was huge cap space windfall

DAL saved 17m when they cut Dez even though they took an 8m dead cap hit..... it was smart not to spend an additional 12.5m a year on his base salary and that is all that mattered

Little Jr

Reaction score
If I create 50m in cap space and end up with 20m in dead money I am 30m ahead
If I create 10m in cap space and end up with 2m in dead money I am only 8m ahead
If I create 0m in cap space I will have 0m dead money but also 0 net cap space
Yep.people look at dead money and freak.