Salary Cap space - Updated

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
25m SB................... 65m gtd.....................not official yet

2019- 6.1m base................cap hit 11.1m
2020- 16m base.................cap hit 21m(possibly restructured down with voidable years)
2021- 17m* base................cap hit 22m
2022- 20m base.................cap hit 25m
2023- 20m base.................cap hit 25m

*guarantees in March 2020

So, in effect, its basically a three year deal for $65 million?

This is a really nice contract for both the player and the team, both sides can claim a win on this one.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Current Cap Space- 19.7m................. 4/5

includes
RQuinn.................................8m
DLaw........new cap hit ........11.1m

Thanks for the updates my friend, I appreciate it.

Looks like we have plenty of money left for an extension for both Cooper and Dak. :thumbup:

Little Jr

Reaction score
Fred restructured in 17&18. Smith did in 15&17. Romo did in 14&15. Witten did in 16&18. Oscan did in 16. Free did in 16. That's just the ones I know of. @Nightman may know of more.

So I don't know where you're getting we haven't restructure the last few years. The past 3 years, including 2019, we've restructured 4 contracts. The previous 3 years we restructured 5. That's just my count could be more.

At least have a point and an argument when calling out people.
Actually 6 the 3 previous but im not sure free 2m restructure for 1m in cap space is really a restructure. Lol

Wood

Reaction score
And why do we have all that space? Because we haven’t been stupid the last few years and stopped the dumb restructuring program. They got smart.

I would only consider Suh on short term deal but throw max money at him.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Fred restructured in 17&18. Smith did in 15&17. Romo did in 14&15. Witten did in 16&18. Oscan did in 16. Free did in 16. That's just the ones I know of. @Nightman may know of more.

So I don't know where you're getting we haven't restructure the last few years. The past 3 years, including 2019, we've restructured 4 contracts. The previous 3 years we restructured 5. That's just my count could be more.

I have ignored him for years..... thanks for the assist

People come up with all these theories as to why the Cowboys have Cap Room but the main reason is that the cap went up 65m in 6 years

Add that to Will McClay's drafting prowess and SJones' allergy to FAs and we have room

But like you said they still restructure and they still use large Signing Bonuses to borrow from the future... they didn't do Dez but they never wanted him on the books to begin with.... normally they do it quietly, one by one when they make a signing instead of all at once so they don't have a big lump and fans will demand they spend it on new toys

But it is the same result ..... so let SJones sycophants believe he has re-invented the wheel instead of the wheel just getting bigger and better

Ddisco22

Reaction score
NFL Salary Cap- 188.2m
Rollover from 2018- 11.7m
Total Cap Space- 199.9m

Current Cap Space- 25.9m ........3/7
includes:
DLaw- 20.5m FT
RGregory- (955k) rebate for suspension
DThompson- 720k
JMLillard- 720k
DRoss- 645k ERFA

Need info for
Witten- 2m plus incentives
With the deal he's only counting 11 mil against the cap. If played in the tag would be 20 and now we can pay Dak

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
So, in effect, its basically a three year deal for $65 million?

This is a really nice contract for both the player and the team, both sides can claim a win on this one.
Not really

The last 2 years are for 40m not guaranteed..... they are Team Options at a lower APY
The Cap will be 20-30m higher so 20m for a DE is still a good deal.....as long as he is healthy

DLaw got 45m extra in guarantees and DAL got 5 years of prime years control for the cost of 3

And he can get the surgery and be back for TC

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
And goes on to make false statements lol :facepalm:
I don't mind guys challenging my theories..... I am aggressive on managing the cap.... but don't question my knowledge of the workings of the cap

I want to win the Super Bowl not an accounting award.....teams shouldn't have a ton of leftover cap space...... SPEND IT ON BETTER PLAYERS to win NOW

If we bang out a couple Lombardis we can try for the Dynasty but Howie Roseman with the Eagles is using the techniques I defend and they went all in and won a SB then went just as far in the playoffs as we did with back-up QB

Analytics works on the field and off the field and we need to catch up on both accounts

kevinhickey

Reaction score
Exactly.... if they extend ACooper they will get 7m more in cap space

That would be in addition to the 19.7m we have now

27m is more than enough to extend Dak and sign/trade for a couple guys
Do you think Cooper is next? Or Dak

ItzKelz

Reaction score
So they have $26 million in cap space. They will probably start the season with $18 million in cap space left and the team will be a joke. Just watch and see.
Because we have cap space we are going to be a joke? That is a first. Why would we be a joke? I truly want to understand your logic on this.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
Because we have cap space we are going to be a joke? That is a first. Why would we be a joke? I truly want to understand your logic on this.

I was referring to them having a large amount of unused cap space to start the season and still having glaring holes and weaknesses which will undoubtedly lead to failure in the playoffs. The joke would be that the resources and players were available to them and they didn’t take advantage of either with the aggression that a team truely committed to winning a championship would do. They have made some nice moves since I posted that but it will hold true if they start the season with $10 million + in cap space with Jeff Heath still playing a significant role on defense and no DT that can help stuff the run on 1st and 2nd down.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Not really

The last 2 years are for 40m not guaranteed..... they are Team Options at a lower APY
The Cap will be 20-30m higher so 20m for a DE is still a good deal.....as long as he is healthy

DLaw got 45m extra in guarantees and DAL got 5 years of prime years control for the cost of 3

And he can get the surgery and be back for TC

Thanks for the info.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

How did romo work out?

Most of those were extensions. You obviously don’t understand the difference.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
I was referring to them having a large amount of unused cap space to start the season and still having glaring holes and weaknesses which will undoubtedly lead to failure in the playoffs. The joke would be that the resources and players were available to them and they didn’t take advantage of either with the aggression that a team truely committed to winning a championship would do. They have made some nice moves since I posted that but it will hold true if they start the season with $10 million + in cap space with Jeff Heath still playing a significant role on defense and no DT that can help stuff the run on 1st and 2nd down.
IMO we have no glaring holes on the team. We did pick up a SS that could play in front of Heath and we also added depth at DT in FA and by the way our DT literally had 1 bad game in the regular season and of course we know what happened in the playoffs. IF we add talent in the draft like we have the last 6 years along with getting Dak, Zeke and Amari extensions and have 10 million under the cap to go towards potentially Byron Jones new deal then as a fan Im personally impressed.