Sam Howell to start against Cowboys

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
This would be a trap game only if the Cowboys make it so with poor play. I'm certain that Mike McCarthy and his players fully intend to win this one, regardless of whomever the Commanders might decide to start at QB. The Cowboys are the better team. That should always result in a victory, so long as the better team plays accordingly to their talent level. I hope that's the case in game 18, prior to the playoffs. Winning before entering the playoffs would set the stage for a successful start to the Cowboys' post season. It's sorely needed for the Cowboys' mojo. Go Cowboys!

Last edited:

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
So after what happened last season in a meaningless game against Washington and now Dallas has been gifted the second seed, they will some how arrogantly look down at Washington. :facepalm: We got a bunch of chicken littles on this board.
Lol shut up.

You act like I said "I guarantee that they're going to come out and lose."

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Not because of Howell, necessarily, but this feels a little bit like a trap game.
I don't think its a trap game. the cowboys know they have to win this to get second seed. playoff starts this week for cowboys. they control their own destiny.
the Commanders will come out fired up, but if we play well, couple of scores early, then it will deflate them.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Lol shut up.

You act like I said "I guarantee that they're going to come out and lose."
Keep an eye on Washington’s injury report. Their top two corners did not practice Monday and Jonathan Allen did not practice either. This reminds me of 2019 when Washington drafted Chase. They tanked the last game. Hopefully they have the same type of success with the next draft.:thumbup:

Cowboys22

Reaction score
Not because of Howell, necessarily, but this feels a little bit like a trap game.
How? A trap game is one that you overlook because you expect to win and there really is nothing on the line at that time. The division and the #2 seed is on the line in this game. If they come in flat and lose, then forget the playoffs because they don't deserve to even be there.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
How? A trap game is one that you overlook because you expect to win and there really is nothing on the line at that time.
The bolded is absolutely not a requirement of a trap game.

The #2 seed doesn't really mean anything anyway. If you think it does, it would mean that you think that they're scared to play on the road. They won't admit that, and don't think that way.

All roads lead to @ SF. Doesn't matter when you get there.

Cowboys22

Reaction score

He knows he will be fired so he doesn't care about draft position. I bet the higher ups aren't that pleased but they can't do anything because they would make it obvious they want to lose on purpose. We'll see if this position makes it to gametime or not.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
The bolded is absolutely not a requirement of a trap game.

The #2 seed doesn't really mean anything anyway. If you think it does, it would mean that you think that they're scared to play on the road. They won't admit that, and don't think that way.

All roads lead to @ SF. Doesn't matter when you get there.
Everything bolded is 100% false. A trap game is one where you are the better team and it's early or mid season and nothing is really at stake. Everything is at stake in this game. If they come out flat, it will be due to withering under the pressure, not overlooking Washington. Seeding doesn't matter? When you have to go to SF doesn't matter? I highly doubt anyone anywhere will agree with that!

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Everything bolded is 100% false. A trap game is one where you are the better team and it's early or mid season and nothing is really at stake. Everything is at stake in this game. If they come out flat, it will be due to withering under the pressure, not overlooking Washington. Seeding doesn't matter? When you have to go to SF doesn't matter? I highly doubt anyone anywhere will agree with that!
Nope

They have to go to SF. What difference does it make if it's the Divisional or NFCCG? They are in the playoffs and don't have a bye. The rest is inconsequential to the team.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
Nope

They have to go to SF. What difference does it make if it's the Divisional or NFCCG? They are in the playoffs and don't have a bye. The rest is inconsequential to the team.
What difference does it make? 1st round exit vs NFCCG makes no difference? Again, I highly doubt anyone will agree with you. Making it to the NFCCG would represent a huge leap forward not to mention when you play someone makes a big difference due to injuries, weather, etc.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
What difference does it make? 1st round exit vs NFCCG makes no difference? Again, I highly doubt anyone will agree with you. Making it to the NFCCG would represent a huge leap forward not to mention when you play someone makes a big difference due to injuries, weather, etc.
No

There's no difference in losing in the Wlid Card or losing in the NFCCG. It's not the Super Bowl. Varying degrees of not meeting your goal mean nothing.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
No

There's no difference in losing in the Wlid Card or losing in the NFCCG. It's not the Super Bowl. Varying degrees of not meeting your goal mean nothing.
Neither does conversing with people who spout nonsense.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Neither does conversing with people who spout nonsense.
Cool, welcome to the internet.

You think the organization cares about which round they lose in? No.

Your entire point is that the Cowboys players/coaches are a) scared to play on the road and b) scared to play the 49ers at full health. Players don't think that way - if they do, they aren't going to go anywhere anyway.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
Cool, welcome to the internet.

You think the organization cares about which round they lose in? No.

Your entire point is that the Cowboys players/coaches are a) scared to play on the road and b) scared to play the 49ers at full health. Players don't think that way - if they do, they aren't going to go anywhere anyway.
No, my point is that they would all, as well as everyone but you, prefer a deep playoff run which would allow for all kind of unknowns to happen that could be beneficial. Thats on top of what would be a step forward from the team. No one is scared of anything. You have to play the schedule that unfolds but 2 wins and then a showdown with SF is better than 0 or 1 win and that same showdown.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
No, my point is that they would all, as well as everyone but you, prefer a deep playoff run which would allow for all kind of unknowns to happen that could be beneficial. Thats on top of what would be a step forward from the team. No one is scared of anything. You have to play the schedule that unfolds but 2 wins and then a showdown with SF is better than 0 or 1 win and that same showdown.
You are literally scared of playing SF in the Divisional rather than the NFCCG lol.

kramskoi

Reaction score
Based on our road performances, it should be expected to be close. That doesn't mean we can't pull away at some point. Remember game 1 on the road at NYG? I would love to sandwich this season with another 40-0 road win at the end.
They played the 49ers tough. The 49ers didn't pull away until 5:46 left in the third quarter. Howell then worked the team down to the San Francisco 8 yard line at the start of the fourth quarter (20 - 10) to close the gap but then proceeded to throw an INT. They never made a game of it after that...with Howell throwing a second INT.

This game will likely be close and hard fought...especially if the weather doesn't hold. Only way it isn't is if the Dallas offense starts off even better than it did in the first meeting. Funky turnovers could make this game easier OR harder...you never know. That is why any thoughts of resting players for the playoffs are ill-advised. Everyone who can possibly play should play. The playoffs start THIS weekend...not next.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Eagles had the division secured, pretty sure.
They did but the Cowboys played to win the game which is why they played their starters. They wanted to head into the playoffs with some momentum which didn’t happen. However, they still beat a weak Tampa team in the playoffs.