Sanjay Lal hype is getting out of control

khiladi

Reaction score
look at 2014,2016. Does he get the credit as well? I'm with ya...on his failures,but don't we need to be fair and acknowledge the success too? For me..I take a wait and see approach. If he stinks after 5 games...kick him out of the star asap.

You mean the first year he was effectively removed from the play-calling and Jerry said he wouldn't even be touching the offense and it would be Romo with Linehan doing it?

Blackspider214

Reaction score
You mean like Richard being the successor to JG that I've heard on this board and the media?

The dude was just let go by the Hawks.

Yeah because coaches are never let go and find success with other teams...Being let go in this profession means nothing.

Rayman70

Reaction score
You mean the first year he was effectively removed from the play-calling and Jerry said he wouldn't even be touching the offense and it would be Romo with Linehan doing it?
doesn't matter..was he the head coach or not? We can dissect it 100 ways.He was the HC when we were successful,and through our failures.He must be accountable for the good and bad. Not just one or the other. I think if we fail to go far this year he def. gone. Its pretty clear.

khiladi

Reaction score
doesn't matter..was he the head coach or not? We can dissect it 100 ways.He was the HC when we were successful,and through our failures.He must be accountable for the good and bad. Not just one or the other. I think if we fail to go far this year he def. gone. Its pretty clear.

Of course it matters when your Owner flat out says your role is now going to be 'ambiguous' and that they don't want you anywhere near the offense, which was supposed to be your specialty and that your defining feature per that owner is that you deal well with ambiguity..

Jerry is now in a Coordinator can win it now mode, the Head Coach not being central to that at all. 2016 is the example he gave of it, meaning he can keep the facade of having Garrett in place while the power is given to coordinators... the other point is Stephen Jones also said that they are now going to go with being cheap essentially, in the pre-draft interviews...

glimmerman

Reaction score
I think the large lady will be singing soon if it’s not a deep playoff run. He may have a OC and DC he can throw under the bus this year.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I guess we will find out what kind of job coach Lal has done with these young WR pretty soon.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Of course it matters when your Owner flat out says your role is now going to be 'ambiguous' and that they don't want you anywhere near the offense, which was supposed to be your specialty and that your defining feature per that owner is that you deal well with ambiguity..

Jerry is now in a Coordinator can win it now mode, the Head Coach not being central to that at all. 2016 is the example he gave of it, meaning he can keep the facade of having Garrett in place while the power is given to coordinators... the other point is Stephen Jones also said that they are now going to go with being cheap essentially, in the pre-draft interviews...
we gonna find out

khiladi

Reaction score
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/08/02/cowboys-take-another-dig-at-dez-bryant/

Sanjay Lal talks a lot of trash for accomplishing zero in this league. So when Dak was in S. Mississippi, his pre-draft profile knew the future that his not anticipating WRs being open was because he would eventually play with Dez, not that he had that issue in college?

What a dysfunctional organization... It's clear this whole scherade was to protect the decision of starting Dak Prescott, which clearly sett this organization back and blew the Super Bowl Window. Of course, if anybody was actually paying attention to Stephen Jones in his pre-draft interview, they would know this decision was really about money and going cheap.

JustChip

Reaction score
And yet, here we are moving WRs all over the place and trying to revamp the passing game, because it was absolute garbage while the Garrett defenders kept barking how nothing was wrong. Even when he got demoted from playcallinh, they spun it.

The delusion is strong for the Garrett homers..

Have you considered that maybe they're moving WRs all over now because they have the personnel to do that and they didn't before? Maybe they were limited previously because Dez was limited? I'm not saying he was or wasn't because I don't know, but it is a reasonable question that an objective person would ask. Maybe it wasn't an issue previously because of Romo's skillset. Human nature being what it is, it's tough for a person to accept a change or something new if what's being done is working. Same with the coaches. Basically, if it ain't broke, don't fix it as the saying goes.

The problem comes when it's no longer working. But by that time, actually implementing change might be a little like trying to turn the Titanic, it can be done, just not quickly. At that point, maybe the quickest way to get to where you're going is to simply change what you're working with It's not "scapegoating", it's just what is the best course. Kind of like the famous quote from Big Jake - your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, it's time to change something.

khiladi

Reaction score
Have you considered that maybe they're moving WRs all over now because they have the personnel to do that and they didn't before? Maybe they were limited previously because Dez was limited? I'm not saying he was or wasn't because I don't know, but it is a reasonable question that an objective person would ask. Maybe it wasn't an issue previously because of Romo's skillset. Human nature being what it is, it's tough for a person to accept a change or something new if what's being done is working. Same with the coaches. Basically, if it ain't broke, don't fix it as the saying goes.

The problem comes when it's no longer working. But by that time, actually implementing change might be a little like trying to turn the Titanic, it can be done, just not quickly. At that point, maybe the quickest way to get to where you're going is to simply change what you're working with It's not "scapegoating", it's just what is the best course. Kind of like the famous quote from Big Jake - your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, it's time to change something.

That's actually wrong, because the numbers show Dak's best throws to Dez were the slant and his absolute worst throws were the go routes, whether to Dez or Terrance Williams... Dak can't throw outside nor deep accurately. TWill was actually drafted precisely because of this ability and the Garrett offense is to attack hashes outside first. They started a QB whose worst throws are those.

And TOs best routes were from the slot and in motion. And this criticism has been ongoing for years, meaning there is always a scapegoat.

And this has been discussed ad nauseum in this forum

JustChip

Reaction score
That's actually wrong, because the numbers show Dak's best throws to Dez were the slant and his absolute worst throws were the go routes, whether to Dez or Terrance Williams... Dak can't throw outside nor deep accurately. TWill was actually drafted precisely because of this ability and the Garrett offense is to attack hashes outside first. They started a QB whose worst throws are those.

And TOs best routes were from the slot and in motion. And this criticism has been ongoing for years, meaning there is always a scapegoat.

And this has been discussed ad nauseum in this forum
What you say is immaterial to my point. Dez was not as productive after 2015 as before. It doesn't matter why - it was what it was. Add to it the $ cost and it just made sense to make the change. I will not be surprised at all if Dez signs somewhere else and has a good year (although it's going to be harder and harder the longer he goes unsigned), but that doesn't mean he would've had a good year here. Circumstances matter in every situation. That doesn't make Dez a scapegoat.

Just to be clear, I'm not a Dez "hater". I loved the pick when we made it partly because he was a Cowboy fan growing up. I wanted Steven Jackson for that same reason.

khiladi

Reaction score
What you say is immaterial to my point. Dez was not as productive after 2015 as before. It doesn't matter why - it was what it was. Add to it the $ cost and it just made sense to make the change. I will not be surprised at all if Dez signs somewhere else and has a good year (although it's going to be harder and harder the longer he goes unsigned), but that doesn't mean he would've had a good year here. Circumstances matter in every situation. That doesn't make Dez a scapegoat.

Just to be clear, I'm not a Dez "hater". I loved the pick when we made it partly because he was a Cowboy fan growing up. I wanted Steven Jackson for that same reason.

What you say is immaterial to my point. The reality is Dez is being made a scapegoat, whether it's Sanjay Lal, Will McClay, Stephen Jones with their indirect comments, yet whatever he has said is proving to be correct, which is why they are even altering their passing game.

jrumann59

Reaction score
I will do a wait and see here are the QBs and receivers he had starting in 2009

QBs
Frye/Gradkowski/Losman/Russell - talk about QB death valley

Receivers - Reciver death valley
Darrius Heyward-Bey / WR
Johnnie Lee Higgins / WR
Jonathan Holland / WR
Nick Miller / WR
Zach Miller / TE
Louis Murphy / WR
Brandon Myers / TE
Marcel Reece / WR
Chaz Schilens / WR
Tony Stewart / TE
Javon Walker / WR
Todd Watkins / WR

2010 QB death valley continues
Frye/Gradkowski/Boller/Campbell/O'Sullivan

Receivers still yuck

Yamon Figurs / WR
Jacoby Ford / WR
Darrius Heyward-Bey / WR
Johnnie Lee Higgins / WR
Nick Miller / WR
Zach Miller / TE
Louis Murphy / WR
Brandon Myers / TE
Marcel Reece / WR
Chaz Schilens / WR

Well in 2011 the raiders did get Palmer
QBs
Boller/Campbell/Palmer

Receivers well they did add a couple of names....
David Ausberry / WR
Kevin Boss / TE
Jacoby Ford / WR
Richard Gordon / TE
Derek Hagan / WR
Darrius Heyward-Bey / WR
T.J. Houshmandzadeh / WR
Derrick Jones / WR
Nick Miller / WR
Denarius Moore / WR
Louis Murphy / WR
Brandon Myers / TE
Terrelle Pryor / WR
Marcel Reece / WR
Chaz Schilens / WR

I think he likes working for teams with no QB talent
2012 NYJ
QB

Greg McElroy / QB
Mark Sanchez / QB
Tim Tebow / QB

Receivers this group has names that's about it even a guy that used play in Oakland

Josh Baker / TE
Jeff Cumberland / WR
Braylon Edwards / WR
Dedrick Epps / TE
Edmond Gates / WR
Mardy Gilyard / WR
Jason Hill / WR
Stephen Hill / WR
Santonio Holmes / WR
Dustin Keller / TE
Jeremy Kerley / WR
Konrad Reuland / TE
Chaz Schilens / WR
Hayden Smith / TE
Patrick Turner / WR
Jordan White / WR

2013 NYJ
QB - Teams with no QB I see a pattern

David Garrard / QB
Mark Sanchez / QB
Matt Simms / QB
Geno Smith / QB

Receivers - WOW a couple of Former Browns....

Michael Campbell / WR
Joshua Cribbs / WR
Jeff Cumberland / WR
Edmond Gates / WR
Saalim Hakim / WR
Vidal Hazelton / WR
Stephen Hill / WR
Santonio Holmes / WR
Jeremy Kerley / WR
David Nelson / WR
Ben Obomanu / WR
Chris Pantale / TE
Konrad Reuland / TE
Darius Reynaud / WR
Greg Salas / WR
Ryan Spadola / WR
Zach Sudfeld / TE
Kellen Winslow / TE

2014 NYJ
QB - Hey at least Mike Vick had track record before prison

Matt Simms / QB
Geno Smith / QB
Michael Vick / QB

Receivers - Well they have Decker and Kerley

Jace Amaro / TE
Jeff Cumberland / WR
Eric Decker / WR
Quincy Enunwa / WR
T.J. Graham / WR
Saalim Hakim / WR
Percy Harvin / WR
Jeremy Kerley / WR
David Nelson / WR
Chris Owusu / WR
Chris Pantale / TE
Walter Powell / WR
Greg Salas / WR
Jalen Saunders / WR
Zach Sudfeld / TE

2015 Buffalo
QB- Cassell and Taylor I guess they could be worse

Matt Cassel / QB
Josh Johnson / QB
E.J. Manuel / QB
Tyrod Taylor / QB

Receivers - There is some young talent and maybe a former raider

Charles Clay / TE
Marcus Easley / WR
Marquise Goodwin / WR
Chris Gragg / TE
Leonard Hankerson / WR
Percy Harvin / WR
Chris Hogan / WR
Dezmin Lewis / WR
Denarius Moore / WR
Matthew Mulligan / TE
Nick O'Leary / TE
Walter Powell / WR
Greg Salas / WR
Marcus Thigpen / WR
Sammy Watkins / WR
Robert Woods / WR

2016 Buffalo
QB - they got rid of the venerable Cassell but Tyrod is slightly above avg

Cardale Jones / QB
E.J. Manuel / QB
Tyrod Taylor / QB

Receivers - Still some young talent many of the re-tread

Gerald Christian / TE
Charles Clay / TE
Jim Dray / TE
Marquise Goodwin / WR
Percy Harvin / WR
Justin Hunter / WR
Dezmin Lewis / WR
Nick O'Leary / TE
Walter Powell / WR
Greg Salas / WR
Brandon Tate / WR
Logan Thomas / TE
Sammy Watkins / WR
Robert Woods / WR

2017 Indy
QB - After Luck who really cares, with Luck hurt Indy fans did not care.

Andrew Luck / QB
Scott Tolzien / QB

Receivers - Probably the most talented but injuries in 2017 took their toll

Dwayne Allen / TE
Quan Bray / WR
Chase Coffman / TE
Phillip Dorsett / WR
Jack Doyle / TE
T.Y. Hilton / WR
Donte Moncrief / WR
Joe Reitz / TE
Chester Rogers / WR