Twitter: Sarcasm: Jaylon’s Still Got It

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Because the play design leads him to do that. You can see him watching the qb, and he doesn't bite on the fake hand off, the qb starts rolling out to his side, and he is mirroring him. Watch his head

LVE is following the RB whether he gets the hand off or it is a pass, because that is how the play is shaping out

If jaylon and lve are both on the RB for an immediate tackle, the qb turns up the field and runs for 20 yards. The WR's cleared the db out

He is already running to the sideline in that image and LVE is still to the inside of Jaylon but easily runs past him.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He's overly criticized, though. He hasn't had a bad preseason so far, but if he makes one mistake (even it's a play where he might actually be assignment sound), it is used against him like it is here. It's confirmation bias.

He did have one really good play in this game...

The season before the new contract, he could run to the sideline really well and now he can't.

In my opinion it is because he gained about 20 pounds.

ultron

Reaction score
It doesn’t look like the HB is his assignment, if he doesn’t seal the edge - the QB will take off and run. Looks like a busted assignment from 55

Kingofholland

Reaction score
To be fair we should also be talking about the nice play he made 5:17 remaining in the 1st quarter. As fans we're so pre-conditioned to watch every bad play he makes we ignore everything else.

Jaylon certainly needs to improve and could definitely see this being his last year here though. 9 million cap savings as a post june 1st cut next year. I think he ends up splitting snaps with Neal while Parsons and LVE see the majority of play time. Hard to justify that pay for someone playing half the snaps.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

The season before the new contract, he could run to the sideline really well and now he can't.

Might be. That's the one thing that stood out about this play. I don't think Jaylon necessarily blew his assignment. His initial reaction was to play a run left as the backside defender. But once he recognized it was a fake, he showed limited ability to turn and chase.

Doesn't mean he can't have really good plays like the one he made in this game. It just means there may be some range-of-motion situations where he's limited. We'll see how that will affect him in what Quinn plans to do with him.

Mannix

Reaction score
------I know people still call him "gimp" and things like that, but he was really good in 2018 and I wonder what happened to him. Was there another injury we don't know about?

Dude...."gimp" is pretty harsh....just call her Jaclyn, and try and not to be such a jerk. :muttley:

Beaker42

Reaction score
So maybe I'm dumb but it looks like the OL is blocking like it's a zone run to the left but the rb runs to the right and it's a PA? I don't get it. :huh: But it worked so I guess I am dumb. :laugh:
Jaylon’s sole read on that play was the RB and he he screwed the pooch. Got sucked inside when he never should have.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score

Outside of any lingering issues with his foot, I wonder sometimes if he’s so rocked up (muscular) that he’s lost agility and flexibility.

I’ll give him this...nobody looks better in a football uniform than Jaylon. Dude looks like he was created in Madden.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
------I know people still call him "gimp" and things like that, but he was really good in 2018 and I wonder what happened to him. Was there another injury we don't know about?

Dude...."gimp" is pretty harsh....just call her Jaclyn, and try and not to be such a jerk. :muttley:

It’s all expectation and context.

There was a point where it was in question whether he’d even play football again so expectations were extremely low. When he got on the field and actually started making plays and seemingly functioning normal it was a pleasant surprise.

I saw red flags with him back in 2018, but I rationalized it as just football rust (from not playing regularly) and simply adjusting to the NFL game. I thought he was on the right trajectory and that some of the issues would be resolved with time and continued development.

2019 was a terrible year. I don’t care if people want to point to his Pro Bowl (he was an injury replacement BTW). He was baaaad. I was making threads about him back then he was so awful. 2020 was a continuation of that.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Outside of any lingering issues with his foot, I wonder sometimes if he’s so rocked up (muscular) that he’s lost agility and flexibility.

I’ll give him this...nobody looks better in a football uniform than Jaylon. Dude looks like he was created in Madden.

I remember a photo from a couple of years ago with Jaylon, Robert Quinn and DLaw in street clothes.
- Jaylon looked like he weighed more than Quinn.
- I doubt he was actually 265 (Quinn's listed weight) but I think Jaylon was close to the 260 range.
- After Eberflus departed the defensive coaches might have encouraged him to bulk up.
- Last year I can definitely envision Mike Nolan with his late eighties style 3-4 encouraging the LBs to bulk up.

The video of Jaylon losing to the blocking sled repeatedly was comical.
- A big part of hitting the blocking sled is technique.
- If the player is 6 inches to far away or 6 inches too close when he explodes into the sled it just won't work.

Big_D

Reaction score
I'd like to thank Micah Parsons for showing our veteran LBs they can actually swipe at the ball. Took 1 play in a preseason game to figure it out. Swipe the ball, not the ground? LOL Real LB play is finally here, time to move on or just relegate him to special teams. He's worthless. Dead cap space is actually better! And more reps for the guy who will take his spot, I don't even care who that is at this point!

jwooten15

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Thank God we have Parsons and Cox. I just pray Jerry let’s the coaches bench Jaylon. If not for the contract, he wouldn’t be on the field (or this team)

Praxit

Reaction score
Greatness.

DJZQ8GzVwAA7MSU.jpg
..lol.. in the flesh. ;)..

Mannix

Reaction score
It's dumbfounding that anyone defends this boat anchor anymore. Are people that invested in terrible players with terrible contacts who hold the team back?
OMG....boat anchor is the best description I've heard so far....describes her lack of mobility, and weighing the team and organization down....and salary they are saddled with.