Twitter: SAS: Dak Prescott should be making at least $25M

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
What you don't seem to grasp is the observable FACT that quarterback contracts are a moving target, and the movement is UP. Rodgers contract was top money when he signed it, in the past, but is no longer top money in the present now that Wilson got more than that, and Wilson's contract probably won't be top money in the future, either. Kirk Cousins wouldn't have gotten $28 million/year in 2015 for being a mid-pack starter, but he did in 2018.

WHAT'S NORMAL IS CHANGING OVER TIME.

This are objective facts, we can look at the numbers and see them get bigger over time. I can't put the idea any more simply than that. This is like elementary school stuff, how is it confusing you?

Or are you arguing that Kirk Cousins is an elite QB, and that's how he got $28m/year guaranteed? Because if you really think that LMAO
I gave you contracts from a single year ago. Fact of the matter is...28MM was not middle of the road. There is no way you can conclude this empirically.

Take your L.

bsbellomy

Reaction score
Garoppolo is better? I'm not even sure he's played enough for anyone to know what he is. 8 starts over the last 2 years. The next time he has more than 5 starts in a season will be the first time he's ever had 6 starts in a season.

Yeah he's better the same way Baker is better. People want to say they just haven't seen enough yet but in reality they are just homer fans that don't want to face the truth.

bsbellomy

Reaction score

Go ahead and rate him where you want, but id bet there are 20 fanbases that would take their guy over Dak with at least 1 more coming on draft day.

You think the Jets would take him over Darnold? How about the Bills? I seriously doubt they'd trade theirs for ours. I wouldn't.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Yeah he's better the same way Baker is better. People want to say they just haven't seen enough yet but in reality they are just homer fans that don't want to face the truth.

So you have seen enough? As a non-homer fan, you've seen enough out of a guy with 10 career starts who is heading into his 6th season?

Even if Baker was better than Dak, Baker has nothing to do with Garoppolo. They aren't even in the same zip code in terms of career path and I'd say Baker is easily better than Garoppolo.

People say they haven't seen enough because he's only started 10 games in 5 seasons. Part of playing the position of QB is....well, actually playing. He isn't better than anyone while he's on the bench.

GMO415

Reaction score
This is what a lot of people don't understand. The value of a starting NFL QB has been established. You have starting QBs who have never smelled a Div Round Champ game making $27 million plus. Yet, you want an accomplished QB like Dak to take less?

There is something deeper or deep-seated here...... otherwise, he's on par to get paid like the next man.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
I think SAS is either a closet Cowboys fan or he's slowly morphing into a Cowboys fan. In the past couple of years, his positive comments about them have increased and the negative ones have decreased (that I've seen, but I don't watch him too much).

But since he's made his career about hating on the Cowboys, he can't come out and admit it.

Its all an act...……..when First Take had him and skip and they did the show live in Dallas last year or maybe the year before, my buddy went to see them in person. He said that during the commercial breaks he would go around to the fans and talk and take pictures and was smiling and laughing with everybody and then as soon as the commercial break was over and the cameras started rolling again he went back to yelling and screaming and trashing the Cowboys and how pathetic their fans are and so on and so on...…….LOL

Like I said, its all just an act for him...…......I dont blame him, he has made millions of dollars hating on the Cowboys and their fans;)

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
People keep acting like those who don't want to Pay Dak have an issue with the rising cap and the qb market.

We have a problem with thinking Dak is a near top of the market qb.

There is a difference. Learn it.

Oh and bookmark this post. I'll holla at you in 5 years.

I'm old enough to remember when I was ridiculed for saying we shouldn't have drafted Zeke. Those voices get quieter everyday.

$25 million is not "top of the market for qb".....................that is what above average starters get paid nowdays..........that's Dak

Top of the market QBs now get $35...........see Russell Wilson

Hadenough

Reaction score
I still maintain you take this one season at a time! Jerry and Stephen are having some sticker shock along with the rest of us about how much a QB should make.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Yes 25 but thats where I try and cap it 4 years 100 mil 65 guaranteed. If thats not enough for his second contract look at RW 2nd contract that is in line with that given inflation.. its win win, we have money for Amari and Zeke..if hes not on board with that let him collect 2mil this year..thats smart LMAO.. id rather gamble on the FT and bigger contract later then get outside the number he deserves.. I cant care less about the MARKET,..Daks market is 25 in actual QB rankings..
scenarios for both works out if in two years hes still just Dak , steady but nothing special, you go after new QB and what 2 years is 32.5 per or if you keep him 3 years its like 23 per but you can still cut him and not be insane dead money after 2-3 years and he gets 65mil, thats win win for both partys.. if hes lighting it up stepping up into top 10 instead of 10-15 you rework his deal like RW did..

Texas no state tax, DC QBs get many sponsorships that offset tons of other compensation.. it HAS TO BE factored in and if he doesnt want to give us break, I say let the year work out under 2mil, FT 2020 if necessary to bridge the new guy..than bye..I lie dak but not for a deal that not great for us long term..

the W-L record cant be the sole way we look at any QB..thats team thing a Coach and GM stat , sure its nice to talk about but his ranking Td-INT QBR, sacks fumbles and the eye test those things say dak ranks 10-15 debatable..

Stephen and Jerry like to play hard ball and I think this would be the best way to handle this contract..it can go along way in signing all of our stars and for sure if Dak took 25 like brady gave a discount regardless of situation would sure make fans that have been on the fence be all in on this guy..

Like I said I Like Dak this is in no way a knock on him, if 25 isnt good enough for his second contract given what we saw mid 17-mid 18 until changes were made, it shows Dak doesnt carry a football team and needs help and 25 would leave room for help..

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I gave you contracts from a single year ago. Fact of the matter is...28MM was not middle of the road. There is no way you can conclude this empirically.

Take your L.

In terms of market value, $28 million is closer to middle of the road than you imagine, because in today's market, if Rodgers, Roethlesberger etc … were negotiating a new contract they would be at $35-40 million. That is where the current market would fit for them. They are behind guys like Cousins and Alex Smith only because Cousins and Alex Smith have negotiated contracts more recently, not because Cousins and Alex Smith have greater market value.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
The problem is Dak is a product of Garrett. There is not a more conservative coach in the NFL. Garrett only passes when everyone in the stadium knows he has to. Maybe this new offense will see this. Remember season one, before Garrett got to him?

Dak still hasn't proved himself. He consistently misses wide open receivers, struggles reading defenses, and is 1-2 in the playoffs. He doesn't deserve a big payday. Not yet anyways.

csirl

Reaction score
With all these threads about paying loads of money to a QB who is under contract and isnt elite, it seems like one of the following is happening:

1. Daks agent frequents CZ under a few aliases.

2. There's a serious case of Stockholm Syndrome going on among a section of the fanbase.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
$25 million is not "top of the market for qb".....................that is what above average starters get paid nowdays..........that's Dak

Top of the market QBs now get $35...........see Russell Wilson
Why should Dak get more per year and 2 extra years and a ton more guaranteed money than Foles just signed for?

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
In terms of market value, $28 million is closer to middle of the road than you imagine, because in today's market, if Rodgers, Roethlesberger etc … were negotiating a new contract they would be at $35-40 million. That is where the current market would fit for them. They are behind guys like Cousins and Alex Smith only because Cousins and Alex Smith have negotiated contracts more recently, not because Cousins and Alex Smith have greater market value.
Rodgers is not behind Cousins and Alex Smith.

Sydla

Reaction score

And guess what? It's looking like the Vikings and Skins may have made big mistakes paying an inflated price to their QBs based on the silly logic expressed here that it's OK to overpay for your QB now because in a few years, the contract won't rank as high on the list of QBs.

sean10mm

Reaction score
For the people who want Dak run out on a rail, any contract he could realistically get will be too high.

For the people who think he's the future of the team, the contract really doesn't matter, since giving a starting QB a big contract is just the price of doing business.