Say what you will but Jerry and Stephen and McCarthy are doing a good job

erod

Reaction score
Of course with the help of Will McClay scouting players. They manage the cap well. They draft well. Yes, Jerry for a long time didn't draft very well after Jimmy Johnson but he's finally adjusted. Mike McCarthy, dumped Kellen Moore and went his own offense. Did not do well but at first but after Niners loss the offense is the #1 in the league. Yes, he has game management blunders but McCarthy is a good coach. The right coach for Dallas at this point. The team is #1 in scoring offense and #4 in scoring defense. On the cusp of 3 straight years with double digit wins. Yes, it's not perfect but they are on the right track.
The Cowboys play well during the regular season all the time.

It's not about the regular season.

rambo2

Reaction score
Sadly I think they are doing a good job at keeping Jerry’s stadium full and the Cowboys relevant. We seem to avoid making moves that could move us from the pretty good to the serious contender category. If you want a 12-5 team they are doing a terrific job. If you want a Super Bowl champion I think they still have some work to do. The Eagles and 49ers are constantly looking for that one player who can make their team better. We don’t seem to do that anymore because the move may not pay off and it may cause us to go 5-12 next year. That costs Jerry money…
They are doing a great job of putting a good team on the field.

rambo2

Reaction score
The way some members react around here they make it sound like they merely want to look competitive in the regular season and have no goals beyond that. That's the Jerry jones mantra - 'relevant and interesting'. Nothing else after that matters. Did they have a good regular season record? Did Dak get his stats? That's all some members want.

I don't give a damn about regular season accomplishments, I want championships. That should be the goal for everyone, but it isn't the case.
You can't see that they are competing for the championship? It's exciting.

rambo2

Reaction score
30 something teams would love to have a GM/owner who has led the franchised to something like 5 total playoff wins in 25+ years?
Yes, they would love to be the Cowboys.

CCBoy

Reaction score
How much more? A couple grand ?......used to be a day that players would come here for a little less because they'd make it up on the back end playing for America's Team and all the endorsements that come with it.

Howie Roseman has been beating up on jerry for the last couple years now. That's a fact

Having said that, I didn't want "damaged goods" Leanord here anyway.....we have enough mediocrity at the LB position presently
I won't discuss a set of I doubts...prove the linebacker status can't handle the job. One big loss to San Francisco is the only real hurdle to date. You here imply things are set in stone against them.

Christian gets injured, what then? Either Hurts or Purdy get hurt, what then?

Kwyn

Reaction score
The problem with Stephen and Jerry is they have to be proven wrong without doubt before they adjust. Jason Garrett, Jaylon Smith, Kellen Moore, trading for players (“We like our guys”)

They are still stubborn/arrogant when it comes to deadline trades and premium free agency.

The problem with McClay is that he’s not really in charge of the draft until the 3rd maybe 4th round. The Jones insist on playing football guys in the early part of the draft. McClay and the scouts shine when the Jones don’t know the names anymore.

As for the OP’s take, they have gotten better but they are also the problem. Tough decisions require accountability and consequences. There are no consequences for the Jones’ mishaps in personnel.
Your thoughts on how the draft is run seems like pure guesswork based on your personal assumptions. Would love to see anything resembling a source for your opinion.

kskboys

Reaction score
This desire to spike the ball and claim victory at this point is weird. But it happens every time we get on a run only to then get disappointed.

Let's talk about what a good job Jerry, Stephen and Mike did after we get through this guantlet of games and into the playoffs. Because if today you want to say they've done a really nice job and then we go 1-3 over the next 4, then this ball spiking is going to look kinda foolish.
Yup. We're playing well right now, and I do have some optimism, albeit guarded.

rambo2

Reaction score
30 something teams would love to have a GM/owner who has led the franchised to something like 5 total playoff wins in 25+ years?
The Cowboys have as many Super Bowl wins as 17 teams combined. That’s around 60 percent of the league and Jerry has 3 of the wins and has a shot this year.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
This desire to spike the ball and claim victory at this point is weird. But it happens every time we get on a run only to then get disappointed.

Let's talk about what a good job Jerry, Stephen and Mike did after we get through this guantlet of games and into the playoffs. Because if today you want to say they've done a really nice job and then we go 1-3 over the next 4, then this ball spiking is going to look kinda foolish.
It was nice crushing those scrub teams.

8)

DuncanIso

Reaction score
The Cowboys have as many Super Bowl wins as 17 teams combined. That’s around 60 percent of the league and Jerry has 3 of the wins and has a shot this year.
Gotta win the division.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Whether or not Shaq Leonard would help here is debatable.....but him choosing the eagles over the cowboys is a judgement on this franchise. He decisions was almost certainly based on where he has the best shot at a ring.

it's an indictment on this FO whether some are willing to admit it or not.
It's sad.

Eagles had less than 2 million in cap space, and they still pulled off the deal.

for 300k in cap.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
I am looking for playoff success not regular season so I will know more late Jan.
me too man.

Gotta see playoff wins.

Gonna be a rude awakening in Feb/March for a lot of coaches/players if we lose in the playoffs.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
It's sad.

Eagles had less than 2 million in cap space, and they still pulled off the deal.

for 300k in cap.
They’re paying him the minimum, same as Dallas would have.

He went there because he has a relationship with their head coach and because he will be a starter in Philly and would have been a rotational piece in Dallas.

Jarntt

Reaction score
Of course with the help of Will McClay scouting players. They manage the cap well. They draft well. Yes, Jerry for a long time didn't draft very well after Jimmy Johnson but he's finally adjusted. Mike McCarthy, dumped Kellen Moore and went his own offense. Did not do well but at first but after Niners loss the offense is the #1 in the league. Yes, he has game management blunders but McCarthy is a good coach. The right coach for Dallas at this point. The team is #1 in scoring offense and #4 in scoring defense. On the cusp of 3 straight years with double digit wins. Yes, it's not perfect but they are on the right track.
I guess I set my sights a little higher than winning 10 plus games in the regular season. Managing the cap well isn't just staying under the cap, it is acquiring talent both in the offseason and midseason to put your team over the top or to sure up your depth where needed. I was happy with the offseason moves other than not bringing in another OL and LB. I was not happy with how the trade deadline went. You could see what the other two teams did vs what we did (or did not do). We shall see how it goes when the playoffs start. I'm cautiously optimistic, but that doesn't mean we did all we could to ensure playoff success, because I don't think we did.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The way some members react around here they make it sound like they merely want to look competitive in the regular season and have no goals beyond that. That's the Jerry jones mantra - 'relevant and interesting'. Nothing else after that matters. Did they have a good regular season record? Did Dak get his stats? That's all some members want.

I don't give a damn about regular season accomplishments, I want championships. That should be the goal for everyone, but it isn't the case.
:hammer:

Sydla

Reaction score
Yes, they would love to be the Cowboys.
From a financial perspective, sure.

From a football perspective? Yeah, I don't think a lot of teams would be lining up to hire Jerry Jones and his son as co-GMs.

Proof

Reaction score

that's just silly. every fan wants championships. it's the ultimate goal, but if it's all you care about then wait until the superbowl to watch.

in a best case scenario we can get 20 games per year out of our team. so some of us enjoy the bulk of those games and use them to gauge where the team is, how they're doing, what we think of them etc. and even in disappointment still can objectively view the team through the lens of talent, what if's and all that because the sample size is just too small to get hung up on 10 pct of the games.