Saying Goodbye to a Grand Ole Gal

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
Hostile;2506226 said:
Gridiron Classics by Reebok.

On the bottom left front of the jersey there are two patches. The top one has the NFL logo and to the right says Throwbacks Vintage Jerseys.

Below that it says Bob Lilly Dallas Cowboys: 1961-1974.

It is very comfortable.

Hostile, it's been awhile, but, did you ever get to go to TX Stadium to see a game? I remember some while back that you wanted to see at least one game there? Did you?

:confused:

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
5Stars;2506244 said:
Hostile, it's been awhile, but, did you ever get to go to TX Stadium to see a game? I remember some while back that you wanted to see at least one game there? Did you?

:confused:
I was planning to come to the Thanksgiving game this year but lost my job. So I never got to see a game live from Texas Stadium.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
Hostile;2506247 said:
I was planning to come to the Thanksgiving game this year but lost my job. So I never got to see a game live from Texas Stadium.

That's too sad...because it would have fit YOU to a tee!

That stadium is kinda like a rodeo areana...close and comfy. Not a bad seat in the house!

If it wasn't to late, I would hook you and I up tonight to go down and get tickets and check it out! It's a remarkable place...

DallasCowpoke

Fierce Allegiance
Reaction score
Hostile;2506226 said:
Gridiron Classics by Reebok.

On the bottom left front of the jersey there are two patches. The top one has the NFL logo and to the right says Throwbacks Vintage Jerseys.

Below that it says Bob Lilly Dallas Cowboys: 1961-1974.

It is very comfortable.

Ditto on what Hos said, I have both jerseys as well.

They're both 100% cotton and cut fuller than those nasty-ace, synthetic mesh things.

The Staubach version I bought in mid-90s and is a XL.

The Lilly 1 I bought just a scant 6-7 years later, and sizes must of shrunk, 'cus I had to get a 2XL. :eek:

Surely, it had nothing to do with me hitting 40, right!!?? :D

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
DallasCowpoke;2506255 said:

They're both 100% cotton and cut fuller than those nasty-ace, synthetic mesh things.

The Lilly 1 I bought just a scant 6-7 years later, and sizes must of shrunk, 'cus I had to get a 2XL. :eek:

Not a thing. I have the exact same sizes on both jerseys as you do. I love them both but I wear the Lilly one a lot more now that I'm past 40 too.

Ditto the :eek:

DallasCowpoke

Fierce Allegiance
Reaction score
Hostile;2506258 said:
Not a thing. I have the exact same sizes on both jerseys as you do. I love them both but I wear the Lilly one a lot more now that I'm past 40 too.

Ditto the :eek:

Good! I was worried I was gonna have to sign up with "Chubby Chasers" to get a date!

:muttley:

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
DallasCowpoke;2506255 said:

Talking about jerseys...I have two authentic AIKMAN ones from the 92 SB...one white and one blue. Cost me $179.00 each at the time. Never been worn, sitting in a drawer.

I also bought a Bills orginal for my boy at the same price...If I recall where I got it. He left it in the same drawer until this season, then he came home and asked for it.

;)

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
DallasCowpoke;2506267 said:
Good! I was worried I was gonna have to sign up with "Chubby Chasers" to get a date!

:muttley:
Gave up on the paroled women inmates huh?

Good, you were never going to find one whom your parents would approve of.

You might have had more luck though if you weren't blaring that song about liking your women a little on the trashy side. They might have seen themselves as sophisticated.

igtmfo

Reaction score
I'm treating this thread like one of those online message boards of funeral homes ... where you pay your respects to the recently departed ...

I haven't been to a game since 1982 or something, I live in Dallas so I have no excuse ...

In my defense though, I think I attended the first two events in Texas Stadium. The first event was a Billy Graham crusade (over two nights). Those were days when he would fill stadiums. You can still see one of the whole programs from that weekend, if it matters ... It was videotaped, with George Beverly Shea singing hymns - it pops up on something maybe called "Billy Graham Classics" from time to time. Geez everybody looks so guilty and sad as cameras pan to the crowd ... those were the days of Billy preaching "hell fire and brimstone" baby! He was good though.

And, I remember attending Duane Thomas' great game in the first Cowboys game there vs. New England I think. I think Bob Hayes had a TD too. My favorite memory of that era is of the very avant garde "computer scoreboard" in the end zone that was programmed to run pretty prehistoric looking cartoon graphics ... "Go Cowboys" ... then some stick figure who sort of resembled a like a cartoon football player kicked the cartoon ball goes over cartoon goal posts. It flashes "FG Good!" first black on white then white on black, back and forth enough to give you a headache or into an epileptic trance. The same stuff you would see on about all scoreboards at other stadiums within a few years ... it's in all the old NFL films footage from the early 70s ....

My 2 cents ...

EveryoneElse

Reaction score
I never made it to Texas Stadium, procrastination got the best of me I guess, that and I live in California and work like a mad man.

I will make it to the new stadium which will be fun, but i'll never say I saw a game at Texas Stadium.

igtmfo

Reaction score
Another note about Texas Stadium ...

Dunno if anybody has posted ...

But Texas Stadium when it was built, was as crazy an outlay as Jerry's new stadium is today ... according to Norm Hitzges on his show this morning.

Perspective:

$5-6 million. The cost of the 1971-opened stadium in Foxboro, Mass. for the newly coined "New England Patriots" (not Boston Patriots).

$36 million. The cost of Texas Stadium, also opened in 1971.

Indication of how far ahead of its time it really was ...

igtmfo

Reaction score
Last thought ...

Billy Graham used the beautiful, amazing new Texas Stadium, its opening event, as one of his talking points ... it went something like .. paraphrasing as best I can:

.... In one of man's greatest creations, this new stadium, one of the wonders of the earth, there should be exultation .... yet there are among you young people, who dare to get "high," who listen to "rock music," who wear miniskirts ... etc ...

So, the call to the stage, to accept Christ, as Billy's sermons typically ended ... about the whole stadium emptied out onto the field towards the stage ... "oh lamb of god I come, I come"

Not to be cynical, but I remember the thing in high school called "Young Life" where there were some devout spirits, but by then most everyone there was living the 70s lifestyle, me included.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile;2506247 said:

Sorry to hear that, it's an experiance everyone should get to have at least once

Sure, the stadium isnt asthetically pleasing. The roof leaks, the seats are too small, cold weather games are almost as miserable as hot games, but something about the place is just awe-inspiring.

I personally saw 4 games in Texas Stadium, but the only one that I remember every last detail of was the 1996 NFC Title game. People who say Texas Stadium isnt electric werent there that day, the roof damn near came off the place when Emmitt scored the game clinching TD.

Texas_Pete

Reaction score
Nice write up! I enjoyed it... :bow:

On an aside, what will they do with Texas Stadium? Will they still hold HS championship games there?

I only been to one Cowboy game in my life. Thanksgiving game. Destiny's Child performed at halftime. I'll never forget it!

Go Cowboys! :)

CliffnDallas

Reaction score
I know it's a fallacy:
That grown men never cry, baby, that's a lie.
We had our bed of roses, but forgot that roses die.
And thank you so much.

Bob Hope, Thanks for the memories.

poke

the older I get the better I was
Reaction score
i have enjoyed this thread immensely. thanks for starting it Hos.
i hope folks will keep posting their memories in here.
i heard a great story on 105.3 last nite where a fan said he remembered
being at a game against Philly and right below one of the luxury boxes
were some young Philly fans.
apparently they were being loud and obnoxious to the occupants of the suite,
until......one of the old men in the suite reached down, jerked one of the little loudmouths halfway into the suite and just started wailing on him !!
moral of the story.......

dont let the fancy clothes or accommodations fool you younguns, Cowboy fans are always better and tougher than Philly fans.

poke

the older I get the better I was
Reaction score
its game day !!!!!

im headed to the game so i wont be posting after this but i wanted
to make one more post to this thread.

most memorable moment for me at Texas Stadium.

Emmitt breaking the record. these are pregame pics....the first is my sign,
the second is Emmitt, right before he looked at the sign, looked up at my
wife and I, pointed at the sign and nodded at us. Only time i ever made a
sign...it couldnt get any better than that. Beat the Ravens !!

http://i14.***BLOCKED***/albums/a319/railzrantz/emmitt2sea.jpg

http://i14.***BLOCKED***/albums/a319/railzrantz/emmitt1sea.jpg

i will say this....i love Texas Stadium, i love all the memories from there and
i am going to miss it...........until next August, and its 100 degrees, and I am sitting in that new stadium NOT sweating my butt off !!!

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
The words I want to hear tonight.

http://www.wavsource.com/snds_2008-12-15_518746861733680/sports/turn_out_x.wav

Just wanted to share a couple more stats. 73 different players who called this building home represented the Cowboys in the Pro Bowl. 12 of them are in the Ring of Honor. One more player is in the RIng of Honor who played in Texas Stadium but who was not a Pro Bowl elected player while doing so, Bob Hayes. 8 of those 12 are already in the Hall of Fame. Some more are coming to the Ring of Honor and the Hall Of Fame one day. 15 different members of the current team have represented the Cowboys in the Pro Bowl.

Texas stadium officially opened on October 24th, 1971. She officially closes on December 20th, 2008. 37 years, 1 month and 27 days. Or for you math junkies 13,573 days.

Here are the 73 players who made the Pro Bowl while playing their home games in Texas Stadium.

Ron Widby, P
Roger Staubach, QB, ROH, HOF
Mel Renfro, CB, ROH, HOF
Cornell Green, CB
Chuck Howley, LB, ROH
Rayfield Wright, T, ROH, HOF
Bob Lilly, DT, ROH, HOF
John Niland, G
Walt Garrison, RB
Calvin Hill, RB
Blaine Nye, G
Lee Roy Jordan, ROH
Cliff Harris, S, ROH
Drew Pearson, WR
Charlie Waters, S
Harvey Martin, DE
Billy Joe DuPree, TE
Efren Herrera, K
Tony Dorsett, RB, ROH, HOF
Randy White, DT, ROH, HOF
Thomas Henderson, LB
Tony Hill, WR
Bob Breunig, LB
Pat Donovan, T
Herb Scott, G
Rafael Septien, K
Everson Walls, CB
Ed Jones, DE
Danny White, QB
Doug Cosbie, TE
Michael Downs, S
Bill Bates, Special Teams
Herschell Walker, RB
Eugene Lockhart, LB
Emmitt Smith, RB, ROH
Troy Aikman, QB, ROH, HOF
Jay Novacek, TE
Michael Irvin, WR, ROH, HOF
Mark Stepnoski, C
Nate Newton, G
Thomas Everett, S
Daryl Johnston, FB
Ken Norton Jr., LB
Russell Maryland, DT
Erik Williams, T
Darren Woodson, S
Mark Tuinei, T
Leon Lett, DT
Charles Haley, DE
Ray Donaldson, C
Larry Allen, G
Deion Sanders, CB
Jim Schwantz, Special Teams
Tony Tolbert, DE
Richie Cunnigham, K
Dexter Coakley, LB
La'Roi Glover, DT
Roy Williams, S
Flozell Adams, T
Jason Witten, TE
Matt McBriar, P
Tony Romo, QB
Andre Gurode, G
DeMarcus Ware, LB
Nick Folk, K
Marion Barber, RB
Ken Hamlin, S
Terence Newman, CB
Leonard Davis, G
Terrell Owens, WR
Greg Ellis, LB
Jay Ratliff, DT

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Gotta send out Texas Stadium the way it all started, with a W

And wouldnt it be awesome (and ironic) that we could somehow win the super bowl the yr the stadium opened (1971) and the yr it closed (2008)

This is a huge game for alot of reason, just gotta get the "W"

To me, a shutout would be the most fitting way to send Texas Stadium out.