Saying Goodbye to a Grand Ole Gal

cowboyed

Reaction score
I was only fortunate to go to one game in Texas Stadium. Unfortunately we lost to the Rams in the playoffs in 1979. However I will remember all my golden years outside Texas Stadium in the parking lot when there was drive-in theatre during the off-season.

Let's put it this way. My car had great shocks.

poke

the older I get the better I was
Reaction score
they used to have big concerts there....i believe they had one called
Texas Jam.....got so hot they were hosing down the concert goers....
that was in the late 70's or 80's.....my memory is not as good as it used to
be........maybe too many concerts

Billy Graham was there twice, the first event held actually and then just a
few years ago.

ooops i guess the Texxas Jam was at the Cotton Bowl....my bad

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile;2500617 said:
I know it hosted High School football tournaments and some college football as well. One of our members here, Dawg0916, got to play HS football there I believe. I'd bet money they hosted some Professional Wrestling, Monster trucks, or Motocross events. Maybe a rodeo.

Soccer was played there? Gag. No wonder there's a curse. Now I can exercise that demon and all will be well.

I was thinking maybe tennis or basketball, but the gaping roof probably complicated things.

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
poke;2500628 said:
Billy Graham was there twice, the first event held actually and then just a
few years ago.

I knew we were God's favorite team! :D

poke

Reaction score
in case anybody coming in from out of town wants to know....
friday night there will a state high school football championship at
Texas Stadium at 7:30 pm...or maybe at 8 pm (i saw 2 different times)

Carthage vs Celina (always a powerhouse) Class 3A Division 2

HTownCowboysFan

Reaction score
I will be at the game Saturday night which is a big deal to me. TS is the only stdm I've known for the Cowboys. With that said, it's time has come and I'm ready for the games at the new stdm next year!

poke

Reaction score
heres my program from the first game i ever went to see at Texas Stadium.

my wife and i had been married less than a year when her uncle called and said he had extra tickets to this game and if we wanted to drive 300 miles
we could have them. no brainer !!
we didnt have much money so im kind of surprised i forked out the $2.00
for a program.
the Good Guys won...and to my surprise in the 3rd quarter they announced
that tickets to the next weeks game against Green Bay were for sale.
my wife dug through her purse and got us enough money to buy tickets to that game. i knew i had married the right woman then.
this was the strike season and the Boys beat GB but then lost in D.C.
thats when the pilgrimage started for me and this week will more than likely
be the last, but man its been fun.

http://i14.***BLOCKED***/albums/a319/railzrantz/1983program.jpg

BC27

Reaction score
Hostile;2496847 said:
3170TexasStadium.jpg

A win is the only way to close the doors right. Baltimore must go down, and she must go down hard.

I agree 100%

Tra_Col99

Reaction score
Great thread, Hostile!

My favorite memory at TS has to be a time frame. My Dad's company had season tickets and I was able to go to over half the games throughout the 1991-2000 seasons. At the time I really didn't know how good I had it. I was able to see soooo many games in that stadium that choosing one favorite would be hard too do.

It really is weird, I only remember vividly the horrible game endings for some reason. All the good games sort of become one and are intertwined. I remember being physically ILL after Leon Lett kicked the ball. I remember being ILL watching Terrell Owens score the second touchdown after Emmitt made everyone aware that TS was OUR house. (Funny thing, I saw George Teague run down Lamar Thomas in the sugar bowl AND deck Terrell Owens, live!) I remember not being able to score a single touchdown and watch Chris Boniol kick 7 field goals. I was very frustrated that whole game but left excited with a win.

Anyway, favorite moments are...in no particular order... Watching Kenneth Gant do the shark dance before kick offs. I remember the team literally beating the crap out of Philly in 93 to send us to San Francisco for the NFC championship game. Deion dancing in "our" end zone after an interception return for a TD. Emmitt ALWAYS yelling with his helmet off at the fans.

Ugh, I can't believe TS is going away. She'll be missed.

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
I've seen four games at Texas Stadium.

The most memorable was my first, in 1976. My dad and I flew to Dallas and walking toward the stadium that day from the parking lot and walking in and seeing the players warming up on the field before the game is something I'll never forget. It was in September and it was blistering hot in the first half and rained in the second half as Dallas beat the Baltimore Colts.

Just found the stats for that game:

Roger's final tally: 22-for-28, 339 yards, 2 TDs, 0 Int.

poke

Reaction score
Chief;2502585 said:
I've seen four games at Texas Stadium.

The most memorable was my first, in 1976. My dad and I flew to Dallas and walking toward the stadium that day from the parking lot and walking in and seeing the players warming up on the field before the game is something I'll never forget. It was in September and it was blistering hot in the first half and rained in the second half as Dallas beat the Baltimore Colts.

Just found the stats for that game:

Roger's final tally: 22-for-28, 339 yards, 2 TDs, 0 Int.

the Boys would have had the red, white and blue stripes on their helmets for this one..........great game to see Chief !!

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Doomsday101;2499456 said:
I wish Jerry would have invited all Cowboy players who played at Texas Stadium to be on hand and go out on the field at halftime of this last game at Texas Stadium. That would be a very neat thing to see.

That would not work. Too many parole officers would have to hold immediate meetings to allow a lot of ex-playes to leave their respective states.

poke

Reaction score
Not only do the Cowboys have America's Sweethearts but every year
i can remember they invite the Kilgore Rangerettes to perform.

thats the kind of drill team every high school of any size in Texas had
when i was in school and i enjoy watching it.

here they are in 2006......

http://i14.***BLOCKED***/albums/a319/railzrantz/rangerettes.jpg

cowboyed

Reaction score
Hostile;2496847 said:
3170TexasStadium.jpg

They call her Texas Stadium, and since six games into the 1971 season she has been the home of some great memories for Cowboys fans.​

Texas Stadium replaced The Cotton Bowl as the home of the Cowboys. She wasn't quite ready when the 1971 season began so the first 2 home games were played in The Cotton Bowl. At The Cotton Bowl Dallas had amassed a 43-31-4 regular season record, and were 2-2 in the post season.​

On October 24th, 1971 the New England Patriots were the first team to visit Texas Stadium. The Cowboys won that game 44-21. Duane Thomas scored the first Touchdown in Texas Stadium History on a 56 yard romp. It was a great way to introduce her to the NFL.​

Since that day the Cowboys have compiled a record of 196-94, and 18-5 in the post season. They won their first 10 games there including a post season win in 1971. The longest winning streak there was 18 games. It was the last 2 home games of 1979, the 1980 season, and the 1981 season. Dallas lost the 1982 home opener to end that streak. Perhaps more impressive than that was the 8 straight games they won in the Post Season from 1992 to 1996. That last win was the last playoff win in Franchise History to this point.​

All 5 of the Lombardi trophies were won by teams who played in Texas Stadium as their home field. Two of the three losing Super Bowl teams also called her home. The lone exception is the 1970 team that played in Super Bowl V against the Baltimore Colts. They called The Cotton Bowl home.​

Saturday will close the doors on the grand old lady forever. Barring an NFC Playoff miracle the Cowboys cannot host a Post Season game in her this year. She had some blemishes, but damn she was good enough for me.​

I will never forget the first time I saw Texas Stadium. I was flying to Chicago but had a flight change in Dallas. As the plane descended I caught a glimpse. I was immediately out of my seat trying to get a better look. It took 2 stewardesses to get me back into my seat. They didn't understand.​

Seems odd to me that the NFL would have the Ravens be our last opponent there. Ultimately I don't care who it is as long as she never sees triple digit losses by her home team. As of right now, regular and post season, she has hosted 214 wins and 99 losses. 68% of the time, we held serve under the hole in the roof.​

I'm excited about the new home for the 50th Anniversary team in 2009, but I will always love Texas Stadium. Let's send her off in fine style. Her first season was the first Super Bowl Championship in Cowboys History. I'd love nothing more than for her last one as the Cowboys center stage was hosting a Champion.​

There's a long road to climb to get that 6th Lombardi trophy, but Texas Stadium deserves it. The fans who have packed her for so many years deserve it. As do the fans who have never been fortunate enough to step inside her gates.​

Saturday Night will come way too fast in some ways. In other ways, it can't get her soon enough. One last glimpse of a grand ole lady comes with it. Who will score the last touchdown on her? Forever to be etched alongside Duane Thomas with the first as a trivia question.​

No matter who scores that last touchdown or how great a tribute the NFL Network plans to have for that game, it simply will not be enough. A win is the only way to close the doors right. Baltimore must go down, and she must go down hard.​

She is not worn down. Those are character lines in her skin. She has served
our fans well and has been an icon of the NFL and the nation. I almost weep for a building....

CaptainAmerica

Reaction score
Hostile;2503479 said:
I'm surprised this thread keeps staying alive.

I'm not, you started a great thread. Saturday night we lose a huge piece of what makes up the Dallas Cowboys. Despite all the glitz and glamour of the new place, the original "hole in the roof" will be a memory. That's a sad thought.

My first visit to Texas Stadium came in August 1976 for a pre-season game against the Broncos. I'll never forget sitting in the corner of the end zone on the Cowboys sideline directly above the player's entrance. I can still see the view in my mind. It was like I was living a dream.

My family and I came out to Dallas that summer to visit friends. A day or so before the game our friends took us out to the airport to see the Cowboys arrive back home from California.The interesting thing about that game was it was right after Staubach and Longley had their fight in training camp when Longley sucker punched Staubach. I can still see Staubach walking past me in the concourse with a swollen eye and a bandage. Our friends spoke to Coach Landry and introduced him to me. I will never forget how gracious he was to take the time and speak to me and sign an autograph.

Great memories!

poke

Reaction score
another thing i always like seeing are the signs fans bring.......this one was
at the Indy game in 2006....which was one of the loudest i ever been to...

this sign is one of my favorites cuz those sons were proud of being at the game with their Dad.

http://i14.***BLOCKED***/albums/a319/railzrantz/pricelessSign.jpg

and Hostile........i intend to keep this thread alive until Saturday !!!!

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
I remember the upside down star in '79. Never looked right from the home viewer's perspective.

http://img148.*************/img148/1816/historyavi000218685rt1.jpg