Scandrick on Cowherd: Garrett is the most underrated coach in NFL

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
lol the man is looking for work he will say any thing to get a job in dallas
why wouldn't he say anything to get a job with any other team? we let him go and have shown no interest. we are 4 deep at CB. he just got burned against us....so why would he think he has a chance for a job with cowboys!!!

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
The way I think of Garrett is the way I think of Marvin Lewis. Mediocre coaches, but I think they have an eye for talent and team building. They don't have the coaching talent to take the team over the top though. They aren't winners.

They belong in the office in a GM type role.
I have been saying garrett would make a great GM for years....

Haimerej

Reaction score
How was his relationship with Jerry?

"It was fantastic. I didn't get to speak to him directly." Badum-tsh

When Cowherd elaborated on his reasons behind saying Wentz looks like a better talent, emphasis added-

"I think Dak's got all of that but the offensive scheme kinda held him back at the beginning. I think they brought him along slow. Great offensive line. Great running game. They relied on playaction a lot. Now let's move forward. Last weekend they did pretty much whatever they wanted to."

For those saying the above is some sort of contradiction about his praise for Garrett, that sounds more like what we've seen since the beginning, the offense had been simplified for Dak. Now they're doing whatever they want- reflecting on Dak progressing, no?

gmb1

Reaction score
He mentioned the grass greener thing. I mentioned that in the other thread. :laugh:

conner01

Reaction score
It sounded like he realizes his playing days are at an end and that this was essentially a 'job interview' to get into NFL media in some form. He seemed insightful and well-spoken enough to warrant landing a job somewhere, especially when compared to some of the people making a living somehow. And on a smaller scale, Jerry and the Cowboys are very good about giving former players opportunities to cover the team, several are doing so already.
That is probably the case
Never hurts to suck up a bit lol

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I've heard other media reports that lend credence to Scandrick's comments about wanting a football broadcasting role. It appears to me that he very likely realizes that he's no longer a candidate to play NFL football any longer. I also wouldn't be surprised if he'd be open for something on an NFL staff as an assistant or in some other capacity for an NFL team. Whether or not a job opens up in TV media is yet another question to be answered later.

Last edited:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That is probably the case
Never hurts to suck up a bit lol

I thought he presented himself very well. Cool, calm, and collected.

But I will say this, he said he realizes that his on-field days are likely over and that he wanted to explore TV. After his comments today, he needs to stick to that, because I don;t think any teams will now look to bring in someone who will talk freely about their locker room afterward. I think he crossed a bit of a line that he won't be able to 'uncross', so he's likely committed to broadcasting now.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
I have been saying garrett would make a great GM for years....

Yeah, people tend to credit Will McClay, but our drafts started to turn around after the 2010 season - the worst draft picks we had were when Jerry Jones seemed to have stepped in (Morris Claiborne trade)

I give Garrett a ton of credit for putting a huge emphasis on rebuilding the offensive line and the guys he chose.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
Listen my comment has nothing about not liking JG but his comments were bizarre. Before CC could even get a question out it was "class organization" and over effusing all over the place. The follow ups should have been "if they have this class, a great coach, etc then why don't they win in the playoffs" but the conversation was a bunch of soundbytes about them, the Eagles, etc. Honestly I'm not sure how to take all of that.

GenoT

Reaction score
So...cutting to the chase...

We’ve got a JAG CB — who just got cut for the fourth time since the end of the 2017 season and is now desperately seeking a gig — now propping the first coach who cut him, but the only coach who kept him around for more than one season.

fifaguy

Reaction score
Scandrick has nothing but love for the Cowboys. You can hear it in his voice and see it in his eyes. Almost like he's pleading to come back..

Cmac

Reaction score
Some hurt feelings in here...lol
Yep…..and for OScan to sign with Philly twice....maybe some hurt feelings on his part now, about being jerked around?.....but that's what happens when you get in journeyman stage. He had a choice on both signings. Ironically, MJenkins spoke fairly well of him when he signed with them. BTW...JGruden/Skins says the young guys (some got cut later) simply outplayed him, but he did leave with money in his pockets. Just sayin'.....hmmm.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Scandrick is thirsty for one last paycheck.
I keep reading peeps saying that, but he himself says he doesn't really want that last paycheck and may be leaning towards retirement in the vid.

Edit: It wasn't in that vid, it was the interview on First Take with Skip and that other guy that yells a lot.

My bad bro.

Last edited:

Cowboysfan1975

Reaction score
Well you can't get anymore straight from the horses mouth than that. He'll be called a company guy, brown noser, and suck up, but I think this is the way most of the players, coaches, and NFL feel about Garrett. Just not the "Zoners".
Exactly and I'll trust actual pro players opinion a lot more than some guy on an internet forum that thinks he know how to run an NFL team, because he played some high school ball.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
5:30 mark they start talking about the Cowboys.

Summary:
-Garrett is underrated, no anonymous comments, no calling out players to the media, holds players accountable behind the scenes.
-Cowboys are a first-class organization.
-Dak is a better leader/player than Wentz.
-Scheme has held Dak back.

Backup link:

I always liked Scandrick, on and off the field.

Probably has the smarts to be an announcer, but his delivery needs work. He seemed a little rushed and clipped in his delivery her. Tense. Anyone else think so?

I note that his appreciation for Garrett was all team management, not game management or scheme. Not Xs and Os. Not gameday.