News: Schefter: Cowboys Have Placed Franchise Tag on RB Tony Pollard

blueblood70

Reaction score
good

The amount of stupid people that will compare a 6/$90 million deal to a 1/$10 million deal as if they’re the same thing blows my mind.

The lesson to be learned from Zeke is to not lock up a running back to long term guaranteed money.
yup to all those overreacting this is like Schultz a bridge deal to the younger new backfield for 24...you cannot cut all 3 in the same offseason. You draft a fresh back and Pollard, Mailk and TBD RB can hold it down, and in 24 you have new 1-2 punch...

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
Terrible decision. You would have thought by now this team would have learned it’s lesson on spending on running backs. I’d let him walk and take the comp pick. Malik and a draft pick can handle the load. That $10m is much better spent elsewhere

32BellyOption

Reaction score
good

The amount of stupid people that will compare a 6/$90 million deal to a 1/$10 million deal as if they’re the same thing blows my mind.

The lesson to be learned from Zeke is to not lock up a running back to long term guaranteed money.
I agree. Pollard is coming off ankle surgery and will be a 100%. Now if we bring back Zeke I won’t be pleased. Not unless it’s for the league minimum which we know it won’t be. Time to bring in some fresh legs.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Terrible decision. You would have thought by now this team would have learned it’s lesson on spending on running backs. I’d let him walk and take the comp pick. Malik and a draft pick can handle the load. That $10m is much better spent elsewhere
Just like the $11 million wasted last year keeping Schultz was.

They never learn.

DCBoysfan

Hardwork and Dedication
Reaction score
I see no problem with this move unless they plan to get younger and cheaper at the other RB positions.

fivetwos

Reaction score
yup to all those overreacting this is like Schultz a bridge deal to the younger new backfield for 24...you cannot cut all 3 in the same offseason. You draft a fresh back and Pollard, Mailk and TBD RB can hold it down, and in 24 you have new 1-2 punch...
Exactly….and none of us have any idea what the agent asked for.

They spoke last week supposedly. Maybe he/she said something like 4/50 with 25 guaranteed to open talks.

In that case the tag is very much the right move over letting him walk.

He is worth like 6-7 easily, but the extra is in exchange for no long commitment or dead money.

Aven8

Reaction score
They way you have to look at this is we had two playmakers, Lamb and Pollard. We couldn’t afford to lose one. We did that with Coop last year and it failed. I like this move way more than Schultz tag last year. They will do what they did with him. Tag the player and draft replacement this draft.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Not a fan. Would have rather rebuilt the room or let him set his market price.

If they bring back Zeke...we are truly a stupid team.
I think this day became necessary when they didn’t get a RB in last years draft.

Let’s see what they do with 21. If the tag on Pollard in any way helps push him out, it becomes that much more palatable.

Reactions: Ken

conner01

Reaction score
Its a 10 mill gamble and I hate it. Dallas is assuming all the risk. NEVER EVER pay a RB a 2nd deal. Even if its a tag.
The tag isn’t the same as a second deal.it’s one year
I get not wanting to extend a RB though there are RB’s around the league who have worked out
But tagging a guy is a short term commitment unlike extending a guy and being on the hook 4-5 years

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Not a fan. Would have rather rebuilt the room or let him set his market price.

If they bring back Zeke...we are truly a stupid team.
Not defending Zeke but if he takes a massive pay cut to his base salary it will save us money and he wouldnt be the worst goaline back to have. Dont think he will take the cut so 99% he is gone

blueblood70

Reaction score
They way you have to look at this is we had two playmakers, Lamb and Pollard. We couldn’t afford to lose one. We did that with Coop last year and it failed. I like this move way more than Schultz tag last year. They will do what they did with him. Tag the player and draft replacement this draft.
:hammer:

JayFord

Reaction score
I see it coming ive seen this story

Pollard will be the player the board hates this year