News: Schefter: Cowboys Have Placed Franchise Tag on RB Tony Pollard

btcutter

Reaction score
if they use him that way maybe, but we have been here for going on 3 years..lets see if MM can make his 20 touches a game not just sweep left and right.
Pollard has been lightly used until this past year so he's got tread left. Last year he was involved in passing game as well so you have to assume the staff now have a better idea of how to use him as another playmaker.

SinceDayOne

Reaction score
The Jones boys really like football players that limp, huh? Sign them to big contract and hope is the game Jerry and Stevie are playing. First Jaylon Smith then Michael Gallup and now Tony Pollard. Very risky business that seem to have offered few rewards to this point.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Depends what they pay him but I’m ok with it.

Pollard is more than just a RB and it’s high time the Cowboys expand his role in the offense.

Letting him go would be stupid but giving him anything north of 10 mill would be stupid.

They need a deal they can get out of in a couple years.
In this scenario his catches need to be north of 5 per game which i fully think would be worth it with him, i just need to see our OC/HC actually use him this way.

btcutter

Reaction score
Pacheco looked fine as a late 7th rounder.
What about a bunch of RB drafted who's either been cut or playing only on special teams last year? Draft is a calculated gamble. Not all pan out. Remember Joseph Randell and Tashard Choice?

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
What about a bunch of RB drafted who's either been cut or playing only on special teams last year? Draft is a calculated gamble. Not all pan out. Remember Joseph Randell and Tashard Choice?
I get it, but RB is the easiest position to always draft league wide.
Its a calculated gamble well worth the risk.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Pacheco looked fine as a late 7th rounder.
Pacheco was an amazing find for KC, but lets not pretend like any 7th round RB can plug in and produce like that either. Pacheco was also limited in the pass game. The other 7th round RBs were Zander Horvath and Brittain Brown. Go to the 6th round and you have Connor Heyward,Trestan Ebner, Keaontay ingram, Tyler Badie and Kevin Harris. 5th round was Tyler Allgeier, Snoop Conner, Jerome Ford, Kyren Williams, and Ty Chandler.

I think the smart thing for the Cowboys to do would be to look at drafting a RB to pair with Pollard for 2023 that could take over a full time role in 2024. What isn't smart is to depend on a rookie to be a bell cow type of back year 1. Unless you're spending a 1st round, maybe a 2nd on one the odds of getting a complete back who can contribute right away isn't nearly as good as people make it out to be.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Its a 10 mill gamble and I hate it. Dallas is assuming all the risk. NEVER EVER pay a RB a 2nd deal. Even if its a tag.
not at this point. the tag just means they will begin negotiations. but if he won't sign because he wants to eventually test FA, then this is the only way to keep our only productive back.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
And how soon people forget that Pollard himself was a fourth rounder.
Easiest position to draft and replace but this FO values all production to the extreme.
A good FO platoons the RB position by taking RBs in the draft every other year, mid rounds are acceptable.
We spend the 4th overall on Zeke and then discover that a 4th rounder like Pollard can be relevant and still never learn the very basic principles of team building.
Its mind blowing that these two idiots make so much money ruining the product they are managing.

CWR

Reaction score
The Jones boys really like football players that limp, huh? Sign them to big contract and hope is the game Jerry and Stevie are playing. First Jaylon Smith then Michael Gallup and now Tony Pollard. Very risky business that seem to have offered few rewards to this point.

There have been a ton more in recent memory. Dak, and dlaw both come to mind. Gallup may or may not work out. We signed him cheap compared to the market so I'll give him a year healthy to see whats he's got left. Pollard is not a long term commitment and we need his explosiveness. If he returns gimpy it's on them.

Fact is I wanted him re-signed last offseason when it would've been markedly cheaper.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Eagles and Chiefs went to the Super Bowl with running backs on cheap rookie contracts
AND their defense, sts, coaching OLS and oh one had the MVP HOF QB , dont forget why those offenses ran they way they didnt both OCs left for better jobs the HC called plays.. i mean come on act as if that the way it works here. Factors outside the RB contributed to their success. BTW iof that the case why does Cmac gret paid huge then traded and for drft picks? shy did the 9ers have stacked young backfield, already had debo why add cmac who has comparable numbers top pollard, so pollard simply gets a FT, no extra draft picks and less money then cmac..

its always our FO that gets flak for those moves but remember when how smart eh 9ers were giving up trade value draft picks and paying cmac that type of money when well according this pace those are dime a dozen go get them in the 7th LMAO.

smart move carr to NO, they set, Dak sux...daks actually better in every way
smart move cmac to SF but pollard bad move, pollards close to an equal to Cmac numbers are pretty close.

this place is so anti cowboy for being an alleged Cowboys zone.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
Not a fan of this move. Would love to just go young and rookie contracts but not surprised