Twitter: Schefter: Dak going Cousins route could pay off financially

fivetwos

Reaction score
Its hard to fathom how someone can say those are a mistake but then stand behind giving contracts to Lawrence, Zeke and Jaylon. But giving your franchise QB top dollar is a mistake though lol.
I'd say he is referring to those guys not being worth that money.

What's not being accounted for was what the alternative was for those teams.

The most difficult thing to do is find yourself a new QB who gives you a chance to win. Those guys, although way overpaid, give their teams that much, and therefore made it a better bet vs searching for a cheaper QB.

DFWJC

Reaction score
The Goff contract was a mistake. The Wentz contract was a mistake. The Cousins tags and contract were mistakes.

Dallas is trying to avoid that mistake.

People scream about the precedent of those contracts. Yeah, the precedent is "don't sign those contracts!"
Yeah, my comment was supporting what you are saying.

It was in reply to QBs holding their teams hostage while trying to max out their dollars with drawn-out negotiations.
Goff, Wentz, and Cousins (in Minnesota, not Washington) were not that.
There were no holdouts or tags and apparently fairly smooth deals. The fact that the teams maybe overpaid them is another thing altogether.

And I agree! If you think someone overpaid for their QB, that in no way means you have to do the same.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Yeah, my comment was supporting what you are saying.

It was in reply to QBs holding their teams hostage while trying to max out their dollars with drawn-out negotiations.
Goff, Wentz, and Cousins (in Minnesota, not Washington) were not that.
There were no holdouts or tags and apparently fairly smooth deals. The fact that the teams maybe overpaid them is another thing altogether.

And I agree! If you think someone overpaid for their QB, that in no way means you have to do the same.
Weren't they also extensions of rookie deals?

As was the Mahomes deal?

That tends to offer some wiggle room for the team. Dallas blew that by not signing him sooner, now they have to pony up.

Like Prescott or not, it's not at all a good situation to have this be the case with your leader.

It's a potentially locker room dividing deal.

Players arent robots (being coached by one doesnt count).

erod

Reaction score
You don't speak for McCarthy. As a matter of fact....I'm pretty sure he knew Dak was his quarterback when he took this job.

Local reports say McCarthy hasn't reached out to Dak once. On the contrary, he and Dalton speak constantly.

It'll be interesting to watch. You Dak is aware of this.

And there's what the Cowboys say in public, and what they really say in private.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Weren't they also extensions of rookie deals?

As was the Mahomes deal?

That tends to offer some wiggle room for the team. Dallas blew that by not signing him sooner, now they have to pony up.

Like Prescott or not, it's not at all a good situation to have this be the case with your leader.

It's a potentially locker room dividing deal.

Players arent robots (being coached by one doesnt count).
I don't think Dallas blew anything by not signing him last year.
By all accounts, they made a pretty strong offer last summer and even upped it.

When he didn't sign, they got him for a paltry 2 mil.
If he plays for the tag, then Dallas will have paid him 33 mil for 2 years. So still great.

I don't blame Dak either. It's his life and money. If he wants to make more than all other QBs...including Mahomes...over the next 4-5 years (not after), then go for it.

As a Cowboy fan, I do wish he wouldn't try for the absolute max he can get.
But that's me being selfish for the team and wanting us to have more cap room to (longer term) build the defense and maintain the oline.....like the Pats always did with Brady and Chiefs hope to do with Mahomes.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Plenty of truth to that.

Nothing wrong with a compromise on that 5th year, like agreeing to not tag him for a 6th (if that's possible).

Either way the guy is set for life and the issue can be put to rest.

Seems like a no brainer, unless your agent has another agenda.
That’s what I am afraid of. His agent pulled the rug out last year when a deal was done just because we won 3 games at the beginning of the season. I want this deal done and get him to change agents in 4 years. Lol.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Local reports say McCarthy hasn't reached out to Dak once. On the contrary, he and Dalton speak constantly.

And there's what the Cowboys say in public, and what they really say in private.
That’s interesting. I heard that in the beginning. And that Dak hasn’t been a part of any of MM virtual meetings. I wonder if they still haven’t talked..

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score

And that's fine. But we also know that McCarthy doesn't run this team no matter what you guys have programmed yourselves to think lol.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ya there were no other factors on those teams at all....basically they are in the exact same place they have been for the past few years which is close to being a contender but the 49ers are stacked (so are the Saints for that matter who ALSO are paying a QB so no real cautionary tale to be learned there). Essentially they are a flat line. They are a team that can make the SB but like every team in that position they need the ball to bounce their way because they are not quite as good as the Saints or 49ers.

While paying more for their quarterback than anyone else.

The point.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I know this wasn't for me, stash, and I may be misunderstanding the post (if so, just let me know).

And I'm not debating who is better.......

But Cousins has spent two years in Minnesota and compares favorably to Dak the last two years.

2018-2019

QB rating: Cousins 103 > Prescott 98
TD-Int differncial Cousins 40 > Prescott 33
Comp % = Cousins 69.7 > Prescott 66.3
Passing Yards/Game = Prescott 275 > Cousins 255

Team Record: Cousins/Vikings 18-12-1 > Prescott/Cowboys 18-14
Team Playoff record: Tied 1-1

Very good numbers and good numbers to make a case.

I would have to figure in both players rushing touchdowns as well however.

erod

Reaction score
And that's fine. But we also know that McCarthy doesn't run this team no matter what you guys have programmed yourselves to think lol.
Stephen seems a bit less than impressed with Dak as an "elite" QB. That's why he's looking for a long-term bargain type deal that overpays early, but perhaps is an easier contract to stomach later.

Dak wants to be wildly overpaid now, and free to get wildly overpaid again in 4 years.

Perhaps Stephen is good with the tag in that case.

visionary

Reaction score
Meanwhile, Cousins teams have never won anything.

Maybe a cautionary tale for both the Cowboys and Prescott?

If Prescott is as fixated on money, maybe it's time for this team to consider their alternatives and allow Prescott to maximize his finances elsewhere in the future?

Prescott has proven one thing to me, he cares about money over all else. If we don’t get to NFCCG this year I’m moving on from this guy

DFWJC

Reaction score
Very good numbers and good numbers to make a case.

I would have to figure in both players rushing touchdowns as well, however.
Absolutely
Rushing TDs - fumbles lost will give that extra differential...assuming it is positive.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Stephen seems a bit less than impressed with Dak as an "elite" QB. That's why he's looking for a long-term bargain type deal that overpays early, but perhaps is an easier contract to stomach later.

Dak wants to be wildly overpaid now, and free to get wildly overpaid again in 4 years.

If we sign him and are able to keep the talent around him then I don’t think he would be over paid. But if he thinks he is getting 45 a year then he is crazy. I don’t think mahomes will see 45. By 2026 they will be looking to reconstruct it.

fivetwos

Reaction score

Well who better to evaluate QBs than Stephen Jones?

Maybe that's one of the several issues within this organization.

fivetwos

Reaction score

.....and....while Prescott is far from elite/great what have you....they made their bed w him.

They went on record saying he was their guy, passed up several other options...and if he was hanging his hat on signing Prescott cheap after taking that stance....well then they deserve the spot they are in.

DFWJC

Reaction score
That’s what I am afraid of. His agent pulled the rug out last year when a deal was done just because we won 3 games at the beginning of the season. I want this deal done and get him to change agents in 4 years. Lol.
That's right.
The deal was all but done last year when, by ALL accounts, the agent came back and upped the asking price at the last minute.
Dak had piled up huge numbers, but vs absolutely horrid defenses, in the first three games.
The agent negotiated in very poor faith.

I have to believe it one reason why Dallas is screwing around with games this time. Give a fair offer, maybe up it some, and then just go with the tag if it's not accepted.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Meanwhile, Cousins teams have never won anything.

Maybe a cautionary tale for both the Cowboys and Prescott?

If Prescott is as fixated on money, maybe it's time for this team to consider their alternatives and allow Prescott to maximize his finances elsewhere in the future?
How has that worked out for the Commanders??