Video: Schefter-Dallas could be a sleeper team to draft a QB

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Agree they have a lot of immediate needs, but nothing wrong with drafting for future. Plenty of plug-in vets that will outperform mid/late round rookies as an interim plan.
We’ve lost several vets and haven’t been active in free agency. The only plug-in play vet we added was an LB. We’re going to have to go with several first and second year players.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
The idea that a QB is off the board on day 3 is kind of silly. All 32 teams have the potential to take a QB with a 6th or 7th round pick.
We won’t take one. We can’t afford to use two picks from this draft on QBs. That would give us only 5 picks to address all the needs we have. Plus it’s hard to develop two young QBs. The Cowboys have to find out about Lance and are focusing on trying to develop him.

blueblood70

Reaction score
We’ve lost several vets and haven’t been active in free agency. The only plug-in play vet we added was an LB. We’re going to have to go with several first and second year players.
Actually, I agree with desperado...

I think you're overlooking the fact that after the draft there is a huge pool of free agents still left there are veterans to be had that are still quality...

just because they didn't go in the first round of the free agent frenzy doesn't mean there aren't plenty there and plenty more to be cut and trades to be made...

you act like this team fully assembled and all we're waiting on is a draft and that's it you'd be one of those guys again far too early judging this roster five months before game one there are a lot of veterans like he called them plug in veterans still out there waiting most teams are now in a holding pattern until after the draft when they truly know what the rest of their needs are...

And by the way most of the veterans that we lost were already long in the tooth post to retirement or easily replaced I don't see anybody that we lost that would be hard to replace even with our second year players... But again there are lots of free agents left and a lot of maneuvering they did this last year they brought in cooks Gilmore and hankins they can do it again after the draft get similar guys on similar levels look this is a year to year league there's no need to sign a guy to a three to five year deal you can get these type of guys on one to two year deals...

The panic button keeps getting pushed earlier and earlier in the preseason the so-called offseason seems to end after the first wave of free agents are gone this place just seems to have thinking this is the roster and we're ready for game one somehow it absolutely is untrue... Relax

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
i'd have to imagine all the 1st round qb's will be gone long before we sniff the clock. the trade up would be immense and likely take dak allowing a trade with a top team.

and i find it hard to believe they'd do that without KNOWING which qb they were going to get AND him being the one they want.

if they can pull that off, great. hurry hurry super scurry to draft someone and let the next era begin.

then you get rid of MM at the end of the year and a new coach has to pick up someone elses mess. again.

suddenly that sounds most plausible.

youngjerryjones

Reaction score
No way the Cowboys take a QB in this draft after already using a 4th round pick from this draft on Lance. They have far too many needs that haven’t been addressed in free agency and only have 6 picks.
once you read deep into the article you see Schefter makes it a moot point saying if they feel like Lance has made strides they wont even need to do that this year.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Don't worry. GM Jethro will start FA after the draft at the $ store.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
once you read deep into the article you see Schefter makes it a moot point saying if they feel like Lance has made strides they wont even need to do that this year.
The Cowboys won’t know what strides Lance has made until he plays in a game.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
He will not play in a game, unless Dak gets hurt.

That is why the trade was moronic.
They made the trade to cover themselves in the event Dak isn’t extended and they move on. It’s not a wasted pick yet.

Sandyf

Reaction score
If they draft a QB, it probably will happen if they acquire a 4th or 5th round selection. Jordan Travis would be a good bet since he will probably go on IR the whole year.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
The Raiders last month signed Gardner Minshew II to a two-year, $25 million deal - with $15 M guaranteed.
He will compete with incumbent starter Aidan O'Connell for QB1.
And - new GM Tom Telesco and new HC Antonio Pierce have not totally ruled out picking a QB in the upcoming draft, if a prospect they deem will be a good fit is still on the board during their selection(s).
The duo starting out running the Silver And Black aren't going to do an about-face a month later.
So I think these Prescott-to-Vegas rumors can be put to bed.
I guarantee you that Garnder Minshew and Aidan O'Connell will not prevent LV from making another move at QB. If they have a QB they love in the draft when they pick then yeah these rumors can be put to bed. Until they select a QB in the draft or Dak signs an extension I think all options need to be taken seriously. Minshew is basically just making high end backup money though.

Motorola

Reaction score
I guarantee you that Garnder Minshew and Aidan O'Connell will not prevent LV from making another move at QB. If they have a QB they love in the draft when they pick then yeah these rumors can be put to bed. Until they select a QB in the draft or Dak signs an extension I think all options need to be taken seriously. Minshew is basically just making high end backup money though.
$25 mil, $15 mil guaranteed - to Minshew just last month- the new Raiders GM+HC duo is not doing a 180° turn and fork over a good number of substantial drafts picks (2024/2025) for Prescott, plus having to negotiate a top-market deal for him to even forgo his NTC clause to leave the Cowboys.
As I stated responses earlier in this thread and another one ...Las Vegas' plans for their QB room for the upcoming 2024 season do not include Dak Prescott.

Last edited:

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
No way the Cowboys take a QB in this draft after already using a 4th round pick from this draft on Lance. They have far too many needs that haven’t been addressed in free agency and only have 6 picks.
Far too many needs? Did they fill any needs in free agency? There's a reason why. They aren't gearing up for a run this year with Dak so they very well could draft a QB and I'm all for it.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Far too many needs? Did they fill any needs in free agency? There's a reason why. They aren't gearing up for a run this year with Dak so they very well could draft a QB and I'm all for it.
They signed an LB who can be plugged in as a starter. The rest of the money is going on three players if they decide to extend all three. They have a dilemma which is why we haven’t been active in free agency. They won’t draft a QB and you can book it! Dream all you want but it ain’t happening.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
I know this, the team really likes 2 QB's in this draft. Joe Milton and Spencer Rattler. Here is a crazy hypothetical. WHAT IF, the Chargers move on from Herbert and draft JJ McCarthy, Jim Harbaughs guy? Would Dallas be interested in Herbert? Trade Herbert to Dallas for a future 2025 1st etc, and we trade Dak for a draft haul that includes players. I have a funny feeling they are waiting this out in a game of chicken to see if they have any takers on Dak and what the Chargers do at 4. Remember, Harbaugh believes in JJ McCarthy 100% to run his scheme and Herbert isnt his guy. The ramifications of what they do at 4 are huge. Nobody is talking about this possibility. Joe Milton has been worked out by Dallas at least 2 times, same with Rattler. They also worked out Michael Pratt of Tulane several times. CLEARLY they are looking for a QB. So shefty isnt just throwing this out there. He knows something. Usually, I would never take him that serious, but in this case, its real. We all know the Joneses are not fans of Daks agent and they might not have the stomach to jump back in bed with Dak again due to this fact and the fact of the heavy cost. We all might be shocked as far as what they are doing behind the scenes that we have no idea of. Whether or not it happens is another thing. But if we pay attention to the strong hints Jerry has been dropping...ie his Ceedee comment, and his "all in" comment, that may be what he meant. I am confident we are drafting a QB or acquiring a big name one.
The Cowboys can’t just trade Dak. All Dak is going to get when he becomes a free agent is the amount of the best offer from one of the 32 teams. He’s betting on himself. It isn’t about who likes who. He will not be the first unrestricted free agent in NFL history. Todd France, Dak Prescott, and Jerry Jones all know how the system works. Good lord, Cowboys fans think this is some sort of unprecedented scenario. How much would the Chargers want for Herbert and who can the Cowboys sign him while still tied up under the cap with the residue of the Prescott contract?

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
$25 mil, $15 mil guaranteed - to Minshew just last month- the new Raiders GM+HC duo is not doing a 180° turn and fork over a good number of substantial drafts picks (2024/2025) for Prescott, plus having to negotiate a top-market deal for him to even forgo his NTC clause to leave the Cowboys.
As I stated responses earlier in this thread and another one ...Las Vegas' plans for their QB room for the upcoming 2024 season do not include Dak Prescott.
And you may be right but it’s crazy to think minshew at $25m /2 years is going to even be part of the equation here. That’s peanuts for todays cap number.

Motorola

Reaction score
And you may be right but it’s crazy to think minshew at $25m /2 years is going to even be part of the equation here. That’s peanuts for todays cap number.
That's not "peanuts".
As I stated before - Raiders are going into 2024 with QB1 competition between Minshew and O'Connell, who is going into his second season in the NFL. Since he was a 4th round pick last spring, his base salary for his 2nd season is $915,000..
Perhaps the Raiders plan is to see if he ups his game.to beat out the veteran Minshew.
And "Part B" of their plan could be that the winner of the QB1 battle will be the bridge QB for the incoming rookie LV MIGHT draft in this upcoming draft.
Either way the Raiders go at it...the bottom line is Prescott is not in their plans for being the next franchise QB...at least for the 2024 season.