Video: Schefter-Dallas could be a sleeper team to draft a QB

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
We won’t take one. We can’t afford to use two picks from this draft on QBs. That would give us only 5 picks to address all the needs we have. Plus it’s hard to develop two young QBs. The Cowboys have to find out about Lance and are focusing on trying to develop him.
Drafting for need is a horrible philosophy. Look what last years draft produced. Sure, other positions need to be addressed, but do you really want to go into next season with Trey Lance as the only option at QB under contract? QB, as it stands is priority #1, unless the Jones boys and Dak know something that we don't.

Walker

Texas Ranger
Reaction score
Jerry going to make a big splash and move up to the #1 pick.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Drafting for need is a horrible philosophy. Look what last years draft produced. Sure, other positions need to be addressed, but do you really want to go into next season with Trey Lance as the only option at QB under contract? QB, as it stands is priority #1, unless the Jones boys and Dak know something that we don't.
With the FA losses we’ve had and not being active in free agency, we’re going to have to pick for need at some positions. The Joneses invested a 4th round pick on Lance in this upcoming draft because they didn’t see any QBs worth taking later on according to their evaluation. He gives the team an option if they move on from Dak and if they do at the end of next season, they can always draft a QB. Looking at the team currently they might end up with a mid first round pick or higher if the season doesn’t go well.

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
With the FA losses we’ve had and not being active in free agency, we’re going to have to pick for need at some positions. The Joneses invested a 4th round pick on Lance in this upcoming draft because they didn’t see any QBs worth taking later on according to their evaluation. He gives the team an option if they move on from Dak and if they do at the end of next season, they can always draft a QB. Looking at the team currently they might end up with a mid first round pick or higher if the season doesn’t go well.
I get where you're coming from. The way I'm looking at it, they saw an opportunity to get a look at a talented, but raw QB prospect and jumped on it. We don't know what they saw on the practice field or in the film rooms last season, but I'm sure the staff has kept a close eye on his development. If results were positive, and I trust this coach in QB evaluation, then waiting a year may be an option. If there's still skepticism, the organization needs to make a move at the position sooner than later.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
He will not play in a game, unless Dak gets hurt.

That is why the trade was moronic.
With Dak's injury history, I would venture to guess we will see Lance next season. Plus Dak may get suspended due to the sex scandal, Roger has a history of suspending our players even with a lack of proof.

tomokawan

Reaction score
Considering the decision that's already been made with Trey Lance, it'd be shocking if the Cowboys took a QB in the 1st round. Nevertheless, they've done some surprising things in the past. While I'm not counting on them to take that route, it's still possible, somehow, knowing our FO. They're done some mighty strange things before. There's no guarantees they wouldn't do something mighty strange again. Logic doesn't always survive here.
They could do like the Eagles did with Wince. I just love Michael Penix. I would have no problem getting him.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I get where you're coming from. The way I'm looking at it, they saw an opportunity to get a look at a talented, but raw QB prospect and jumped on it. We don't know what they saw on the practice field or in the film rooms last season, but I'm sure the staff has kept a close eye on his development. If results were positive, and I trust this coach in QB evaluation, then waiting a year may be an option. If there's still skepticism, the organization needs to make a move at the position sooner than later.
If there’s skepticism or the coaches feel encouraged by what they’ve seen in Lance the past several months, a few questions will be answered during camp and preseason. That’s when he’ll be given his first opportunity to compete for the backup job. If things don’t go well with him and Dak isn’t extended and leaves in free agency the Cowboys will very likely draft a QB high. Even if Lance does perform well this summer and wins the backup job the Cowboys still may draft a QB in 2025 if Dak is allowed to walk. That will give the Cowboys two options at QB heading into camp in 2025. There’s no reason to draft a QB in a couple of weeks with the strong possibility of Dak being extended. The Cowboys are already without a 4th and 5th round pick so it would be stupid to draft a QB in this draft. I can assure you they won’t.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
No one wants him for the price tag he is looking for.
I propose he becomes a post-June 1st cut............end this facade he is NOT the one!
Would love to see Daks value on the open market.
The only way a team signs him is if Jerry is carrying the tab like Denver did with Wilson to Pitt..

pansophy

Reaction score
If the Giants, Broncos, and Raiders skip over Nix/Penix why would the Cowboys draft one of them at 24 when they haven’t even worked them out. :huh:
So someone doesn't trade to 23 to get them first. Nix in particular looks like a west coast type QB.

Chasing6

Reaction score
If there’s skepticism or the coaches feel encouraged by what they’ve seen in Lance the past several months, a few questions will be answered during camp and preseason. That’s when he’ll be given his first opportunity to compete for the backup job. If things don’t go well with him and Dak isn’t extended and leaves in free agency the Cowboys will very likely draft a QB high. Even if Lance does perform well this summer and wins the backup job the Cowboys still may draft a QB in 2025 if Dak is allowed to walk. That will give the Cowboys two options at QB heading into camp in 2025. There’s no reason to draft a QB in a couple of weeks with the strong possibility of Dak being extended. The Cowboys are already without a 4th and 5th round pick so it would be stupid to draft a QB in this draft. I can assure you they won’t.
Even if Trance plays great. He is not playing unless Dak gets hurt and will be a free agent.

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
You can't assure me of anything. Your line of thinking is playing with fire at the most important position on the team. There are no QBs under contract next year, the starter is looking to break the bank, the backup is nothing more than a journeyman, and we know next to nothing about the third guy.

If the right guy falls to 24, a guy that you feel good about moving forward with, you take him and let him sit behind Dak and Trey for a year. If they feel good about the player, moving on from Dak and Lance becomes realistic. Otherwise you're looking at potentially packaging a king's ransom worth of picks to move up next year. You mentioned needs. You can't fill needs without draft picks.

This year there are some good QBs at the top of the draft, and in all likelihood, we will have a chance to grab at least one of them. That isn't a guarantee next season. Why would you not do something to correct the problem now before it becomes something much bigger?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
You can't assure me of anything. Your line of thinking is playing with fire at the most important position on the team. There are no QBs under contract next year, the starter is looking to break the bank, the backup is nothing more than a journeyman, and we know next to nothing about the third guy.

If the right guy falls to 24, a guy that you feel good about moving forward with, you take him and let him sit behind Dak and Trey for a year. If they feel good about the player, moving on from Dak and Lance becomes realistic. Otherwise you're looking at potentially packaging a king's ransom worth of picks to move up next year. You mentioned needs. You can't fill needs without draft picks.

This year there are some good QBs at the top of the draft, and in all likelihood, we will have a chance to grab at least one of them. That isn't a guarantee next season. Why would you not do something to correct the problem now before it becomes something much bigger?
They’ll be following my line of thinking on this one. Can’t believe anyone would think they would use the 24th pick on a QB. That’s nuts! All the top ones will be gone in the first few picks. The last QB that was taken at number 24 or lower in the first round that developed into a franchise QB was Lamar Jackson.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
I will just say this.....How many teams are kicking themselves for not taking Will Levis now? Just about everyone had a shot..... :popcorn:

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
They’ll be following my line of thinking on this one. Can’t believe anyone would think they would use the 24th pick on a QB. That’s nuts! All the top ones will be gone in the first few picks. The last QB that was taken at number 24 or lower in the first round that developed into a franchise QB was Lamar Jackson.
Was it insane when the Packers drafted Love at 26 with Rodgers on the roster? How about Rodgers at 24 with Favre still on board? Those guys are hall of farmers. Those teams had their own holes, but management saw it necessary to address the elephants in the room and go QB. Why? Because they understood that it was necessary to address a looming problem. Both worked out well in their favor.

So you're going to tell me that your "fill holes with draft picks" ideology is superior to the foresight of a successful NFL franchise? Dude, no way! There's a reason successful franchises are successful, and the Jones boys need to take note.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Was it insane when the Packers drafted Love at 26 with Rodgers on the roster? How about Rodgers at 24 with Favre still on board? Those guys are hall of farmers.
You’re trying to make a correlation between those situations and ours? :rolleyes: Both Favre and Rodgers were aging QBs. The Packers were preparing for life after Favre when they drafted Rodgers. The same thing when they drafted Love, they were preparing for life after Rodgers. Dak is younger than both were and we used a pick on Lance from this draft. We WON’T be drafting another QB in a couple of weeks and you can book it!

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
So you're going to tell me that your "fill holes with draft picks" ideology is superior to the foresight of a successful NFL franchise? Dude, no way! There's a reason successful franchises are successful, and the Jones boys need to take note.
I’m telling you we have no choice but to fill holes with the draft because of our lack of activity in free agency. We’re banking on the draft and players that are released this summer. By the way the draft is used to fill holes. That’s the idea of it. :thumbup: Your best players come from the draft.