Schefter: Eagles agree to terms with Nnamdi **merged**

Duane

Reaction score
I still think we were never in the running to sign him. People include the Cowboys in the discussion because it drives ratings.

Shinywalrus

Reaction score
Duane;4015558 said:
I still think we were never in the running to sign him. People include the Cowboys in the discussion because it drives ratings.

That's partially fair, but I think people are also making educated guesses based on the fact that our cornerback play was hideous.

burmafrd

Reaction score
A place like NY where you can still live in several nearby states taxes is not a serious concern. Now there are other places where you would need to think about it. For instance Buffalo is one place where you would be hard put to live elsewhere then NY.

Smith22

Reaction score
I'm guessing the mystery team is the Ravens. They need CB help in a bad way. I'm not sure that they have the cap room for the deal though.

Shinywalrus

Reaction score
burmafrd;4015568 said:
A place like NY where you can still live in several nearby states taxes is not a serious concern. Now there are other places where you would need to think about it. For instance Buffalo is one place where you would be hard put to live elsewhere then NY.

That sounds nice, but it's not true. Both Connecticut and New Jersey have punitive top brackets.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
I think if we are going to go after him, it's going to require a restructuring of Ware, Austin, and Romo, and possibly Newman, with Newman moving to Free Safety to extend his career and finish as a Cowboy.

There are 5 guys that are veterans that Jerry wants to retire as Dallas Cowboys, and those guys are the four mentioned above plus Witten.

Doing that would also allow us to sign a guy like Abram Elam to a 3-5 year deal for an affordable rate to play Strong Safety if Sensabaugh gets overpaid somewhere else. I think Newman would be a terror at Free Safety - he hits hard, especially going up against smaller guys in our division like DeSean Jackson, Jeremy Maclin, Santana Moss, and all the other 5'9" the Commanders have.

Having Nnamdi Asomugha OR Mike Jenkins playing CB - both superior athletes - with Terence Newman providing deep coverage over the top for either (another superior athlete with amazing closing speed) would be very, very good for our pass rush. Eli Manning already loves throwing the football to Terence Newman...imagine him trying to fit the pass in to a short WR in between Nnamdi Asomugha and Terence Newman, both cover guys with great speed that can leap? And oh by the way, DeMarcus Ware is breathing down his neck? It would be pick city or sack city.

With Newman's closing speed at FS also, it would allow Jenkins to play with his back to the ball more, which he is not terribly good at without good help over the top.

Anyway I could go on and on and salivate over the possibilities at secondary with these guys. We would literally have 4 DBs that like to tackle in Newman, Asomugha, Scandrick, and Elam. I'm none too sure about Jenkins, but he's a competitor - I think he'd stick his nose in there too.

yentl911

Reaction score
casmith07;4015592 said:
I think if we are going to go after him, it's going to require a restructuring of Ware, Austin, and Romo, and possibly Newman, with Newman moving to Free Safety to extend his career and finish as a Cowboy.

There are 5 guys that are veterans that Jerry wants to retire as Dallas Cowboys, and those guys are the four mentioned above plus Witten.

Doing that would also allow us to sign a guy like Abram Elam to a 3-5 year deal for an affordable rate to play Strong Safety if Sensabaugh gets overpaid somewhere else. I think Newman would be a terror at Free Safety - he hits hard, especially going up against smaller guys in our division like DeSean Jackson, Jeremy Maclin, Santana Moss, and all the other 5'9" the Commanders have.

Having Nnamdi Asomugha OR Mike Jenkins playing CB - both superior athletes - with Terence Newman providing deep coverage over the top for either (another superior athlete with amazing closing speed) would be very, very good for our pass rush. Eli Manning already loves throwing the football to Terence Newman...imagine him trying to fit the pass in to a short WR in between Nnamdi Asomugha and Terence Newman, both cover guys with great speed that can leap? And oh by the way, DeMarcus Ware is breathing down his neck? It would be pick city or sack city.

With Newman's closing speed at FS also, it would allow Jenkins to play with his back to the ball more, which he is not terribly good at without good help over the top.

Anyway I could go on and on and salivate over the possibilities at secondary with these guys. We would literally have 4 DBs that like to tackle in Newman, Asomugha, Scandrick, and Elam. I'm none too sure about Jenkins, but he's a competitor - I think he'd stick his nose in there too.

Excellent points! I would love to see this happen. :bow:

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Bowdown27;4015348 said:
So does that mean were very interested ? Lol

It means Nmandi's agent is throwing the Cowboys out there to milk a bigger contract out of the Jets.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
JackWagon;4015550 said:
No it doesnt factor in ... I wish ppl would quit bringing up "state income Tax" ... fact is no player pays attention to it .. they pay attention to the final number ... and is it bigger than everyone else in the loague or at theor position.
That's just dumb... It's a factor for me and I don't make millions upon millions. Of course players pay attention to it, assuming they're not complete morons. And you can bet their agents/financial advisors pay attention to it.

Bowdown27

Reaction score
The only thing I find odd is that last night on pft our name popped up and now schefter and mortenson throw us in there again. It seems weird to me.

SilverStarCowboy

The Actualist
Reaction score
Duane;4015558 said:

It's a Jerry move or a Daniel Snyder move, this is a Garrett TEAM, Rex is going to love him in NY. Dallas isn't anywhere close mentally to them, Dallas is lacking the culture of a Jets squad because of Jerry Jones.

Therefore, signing one player isn't going to make a huge difference in our squad.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
He didn't say it was between the jets and boys...........he said the Jets were the front runners and we MAY be lurking in the background.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
For whatever it's worth -- maybe nothing -- Lombardi said on NFLN about 20 minues ago that he was very much a West Coast guy and he'd prefer to stay there if the Jets don't work out. He said the Niners were a good possibility, and there were signs even the Raiders were re-entering the fray.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
SilverStarCowboy;4015605 said:
Dallas is lacking the culture of a Jets squad because of Jerry Jones.

Therefore, signing one player isn't going to make a huge difference in our squad.

This has been the case beginning with the departure of Jimmy.

I am praying, PRAYING, Garrett can run this thing while keeping jed at bay.

SDCowboy

Reaction score
Smith22;4015573 said:
I'm guessing the mystery team is the Ravens. They need CB help in a bad way. I'm not sure that they have the cap room for the deal though.

We need a corner in a bad way. We had the worst D in team history and one of the worst in the league and we've done NOTHING to make it better so far. If we don't get him, either jerry is giving up the season and we'll be drafting a CB in the top 10 or he's become Al Davis and no matter now bad the team is, he thinks everything is great.

Smith22

Reaction score
Seven;4015606 said:
He didn't say it was between the jets and boys...........he said the Jets were the front runners and we MAY be lurking in the background.

The chart I saw on the TV screen clearly showed 80% he goes to the Jets, 10% to the Cowboys AND 10% to a mystery team.

BlueStar22

Reaction score
SilverStarCowboy;4015583 said:
It's a Jerry move or a Daniel Snyder move, this is a Garrett TEAM, Rex is going to love him in NY. Dallas isn't anywhere close mentally because Dallas is lacking the culture of a Jets squad because of Jerry Jones.

yes it would. There are arguably 2 shut down corners in the league, Revis and Nnamdi. Nnamdi would shut down one side of the field. He'd make a huge difference.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Shinywalrus;4015590 said:
That sounds nice, but it's not true. Both Connecticut and New Jersey have punitive top brackets.

Yes, pretty much all of the northeast does except for New Hampshire, which is a ridiculous location to live if you're playing in NY.

But, it's like the old saying goes...if you can make it there (NY), you can make it anywhere.

Asomugha was also paid a ton of $$$$ with the Raiders, where taxes are very high, too.

YR