Twitter: Schefter suggesting as many as 18 teams could change QBs

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I believe I read where Watson has a no trade clause in his contract, basically giving him the power to choose where he wants to be traded to
and at least publicly Jets and Miami only have been made mentioned. For our sake I hope it stays that way.

True but the word is the Panthers AND Bears want him bad, like real bad. They are planning to offer the moon if rumors are true. This is why I said in another post, it will probably take at least THREE 1st rounds picks to get him.

quickccc

Reaction score
True but the word is the Panthers AND Bears want him bad, like real bad. They are planning to offer the moon if rumors are true. This is why I said in another post, it will probably take at least THREE 1st rounds picks to get him.

No matter what the Bears and Panthers are offering, that no trade clause on Watson's contract automatically puts the kubosh on any interest from Carolina or Chicago.
Because of that no trade clause, it's up to Watson's choice of where he wants to be traded to.

The only counter measure the Texans can do if they cannot get him to waive the rights to a no trade and go to a NFL club of their making , is force Watson to retire out.. or play out
remaining years of his contract to the Texans.

And apparently both Jets and Miami have to be talking to Texans on possible trade compensations.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
You keep the "Hate" and I'll trust my football sense that Prescott is not worth a mega-deal esp after his very serious injury!

You see your hatred of Prescott, long before his injury, keeps you from realizing that the actual doctors and trainers who are treating Prescott, not a Prescott hater, have said he will be good to go by the time training camp starts and is in fact a head of schedule in his rehab. So you can keep pushing your fake news about his injury hindering Prescott and just be continued to be recognized as a Prescott hater.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
No matter what the Bears and Panthers are offering, that no trade clause on Watson's contract automatically puts the kubosh on any interest from Carolina or Chicago.
Because of that no trade clause, it's up to Watson's choice of where he wants to be traded to.

The only counter measure the Texans can do if they cannot get him to waive the rights to a no trade and go to a NFL club of their making , is force Watson to retire out.. or play out
remaining years of his contract to the Texans.

And apparently both Jets and Miami have to be talking to Texans on possible trade compensations.

I disagree......Watson has a ton of leverage, no question about that but at the of the day, the Texans have just a much control. Why, just as you mentioned, they can play hardball and simply say you will play for us or not at all and there's not a damn thing he can do about it. Of course that's very unlikely coz they don't want the leader of their team unhappy and the PR nightmare. For example, if they agree to a trade, I'm sure want equal value. But what Watson is controlling this 100% as you mention and demands a trade to only the Jets but they're only offering ONE 1st round pick vs lets Bears or Panthers offering two 1st plus other picks. Still think he's getting traded to the Jets, I don't. In other words, the no-trade clause gives him some say in where he goes but the team has to agree also, otherwise, it's a situation where they are forced to give him away. This is just my take ....

Silver Surfer

Reaction score
Yup, outside of your peyton Manning, kurt Warner, and Tom brady when has a FA vet QB ever gotten to a super bowl? Sure it'll happen again, but its a lot more rare than drafting a QB to take you there.

wYUdvMM.jpg

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Winston signed a one year deal with the Saints last year …. why is it so hard to believe he would do it again? OF course, even if he won't Taysom Hill will still be on the team. He's probably the choice to start over Winston anyway.

Winston will have more choices this year and why would he accept vet min to play for the Saints? He could make more with other teams.

Did you see when Hill took over for Brees? I think he threw something like 2 passes one game. Hill is garbage at QB. No way Winston is taking vet min to compete with a TE masquerading at QB who is making $10M+.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score

Interesting take...... rookie QB vs vet or let's put it another way, knowing what you're getting vs not knowing. One thing we know for sure, the success rate of QBs drafted with high picks hasn't been good over the last few years. Hell, I just read where someone suggested only 7-9 current QBs are secured as 2021 starters. Haven't checked to see if it's true but damn, that's a lot of teams with question marks.

What do you base this on?

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Basing that off of reports. Winston played for $1.1 million last year. Reports in New Orleans they expect him to start or rotate with Hill. Why would a guy who nobody wanted last year, who played for cheap all of sudden get a big deal elsewhere?

Pittsburgh has already spoke about reworking Bens contract. You know he’s going to drag it out but he’s playing next year.

Unless Miami lands Watson, Tua will be the guy. They could pick up a vet like Dalton to play the Fitzpatrick role. But they won’t quit on him this early.

Good luck offloading the Wentz contract this offseason. Although if anybody can do it, it’s Roseman. From what’s reported it was between Wentz or Pederson. Eagles ownership chose Wentz

I believe Winston may have taken the one year vet min with The Saints because they had a wink-wink deal to pay him substantially more in 2021. Problem is cap dropped to $180M and the Saints are in utter cap hell.

Too many teams are looking for QBs who will accept lower salaries and can play decent and not embarrass themselves now since the cap will be around $180M. Winston could easily get $5-10M this year. So, why would he take $1M on a team which will suck next year? Saints looking to dump WR ‘Slants’ Thomas.

I don’t know if Ben is coming back. Bad knees and his body took a beating and he just isn’t good anymore. Stealers need to move on.

The only reason Tua even saw the field this year was to evaluate if the Dolphins need a QB. That is how bad he was in practice. He stunk on the field. Dolphins definitely thinking about drafting a QB high again.

I think the Eagles may eat the cap loss and go with Hurts. If the Eagles can absorb the cap hit, Wentz is gone in a trade. Wouldn’t surprise me if a trade is announced before FA begins.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Yup, outside of your peyton Manning, kurt Warner, and Tom brady when has a FA vet QB ever gotten to a super bowl? Sure it'll happen again, but its a lot more rare than drafting a QB to take you there.

There are actually a few of them. Len Dawson, John Unitas, Craig Morton, Steve Young, Jim Plunket, Joe Theismann, Doug Williams, Trent Dilfer, Brad Johnson, Eli Manning, Drew Brees, Nick Foles. Now, not all of these guys were FAs, some were trades but still, the same thing in terms coming from other teams to lead new teams to the Super Bowl. That's not quite half but it's almost half.

I think the idea of getting a QB to lead you to a Super Bowl from means other then the draft is something that is more recent and I think that this is because of the cap and how it effects things. In todays NFL, the significance of that initial contract, in terms of how it helps manage the over all cap is big. That's why you see teams, in many cases, elect to go young as opposed to pay big money on vet QBs IMO. In todays NFL, you don't see a lot of really good Vet QBs hit FA or get traded but that might be changing very soon.
I guess we'll have to see.

DFWJC

Reaction score
If we are talking true franchise, multi-year Pro Bowl types---or especially All-Pros.......
They are rarely available; and younger ones are pretty much never available.

Even then, the list is longer than you think if you include vets that were not superstars..
Just for some perspective.

None of the QBs that are being made available have ever made All-Pro.
Pro Bowl--which is a bit of joke? yes

All-Pro? No

Not Stafford
Not Watson
Not Prescott
none of them

But it's still pretty rare to have high-end QBs available that have years eft in their playing careers

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Winston will have more choices this year and why would he accept vet min to play for the Saints? He could make more with other teams.

Did you see when Hill took over for Brees? I think he threw something like 2 passes one game. Hill is garbage at QB. No way Winston is taking vet min to compete with a TE masquerading at QB who is making $10M+.
Maybe he will have more choices, but it didn't seem he had too many a year ago, and since then he was demoted to 3rd string with the Saints, so I'm not so sure he will be that coveted. Nevertheless, I'm sure he will be looking for a chance to start, and if someone will give him that chance he will probably go there. Even so, I don't see him signing a high dollar multi-year contract. If he was considered worth that around the league he wouldn't have been a backup in NO for $1 million.

As for Hill, all I said is he would likely be the choice in NO over Winston, and in that context what you or I think is irrelevant. Clearly NO showed they felt better about Hill than Winston.

But if you want to talk about Hill, I did watch him, and he played very well. As for him only throwing 2 passes one game, that's not true unless you are talking about a game where he was not the starting QB. What you may be thinking of was the one game he only threw 16 passes, but in that game the opponent (the Broncos) did not have a single healthy QB on the roster, and had to use a WR at QB, and the Saints game plan was to be ultra conservative because there was no way they would lose unless they had a lot of turnovers. The other 3 games Hill started his passing stats were strong, and he also had success running the ball as well. The team was 3-1 with him as the starter, his passer rating and QBR were strong.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
New QBs:
3 Rookies. --possibly 4 but very likely Lance sits a year.
Watson
Stafford
5 definite starters in new spots.
then you get some retreads like Andy Dalton/Mitch who will fall into someone's lap as QB options dwindle.

Teams with needed QBs:
HOU and whomever they trade with
Indy:Will go get a vet
Det: likely a rookie.
NO: but likely internal given cap.
NE: Pats are a wild card but need a QB or rebuild.

POSSIBLE TEAMS:
Rams: adequate QB has hit ceiling.
Broncos: have young QB but he isn't good.
Jets: mediocre player with ceiling left.
Chi: Could resign Mitch if better options fail.
Pitt: Ben R back on restructure very likely.
TB: Brady could always retire but 1 more year seems likely as he didn't really hit stride until week 6 or 7.
DAL: Could be stupid here and need a QB
SF: Jimmy G is pretty good but he's not elite. If an upgrade option is there this team was a SB squad just last year.

I'd say 12 teams with new QBs is a real stretch and more like 8-9 is likely.
There are only a few legit upgrades than there are just swapping in a stop gap guys and of course the Rooks none of which should lead a team to 13-3 as Dak did largely because of teams they are joining.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Just for some perspective.

None of the QBs that are being made available have ever made All-Pro.
Pro Bowl--which is a bit of joke? yes

All-Pro? No

Not Stafford
Not Watson
Not Prescott
none of them

But it's still pretty rare to have high-end QBs available that have years eft in their playing careers
Actually Cam Newton was 1 time All Pro.
But that's a crazy high bar because it is the top guy in the entire league at their peak.

Pro Bowl is a good bar because it widens to much lesser class but still weeds out just junk by and large.
But even then Pro Bowl in prior 2-3 seasons is nearly non-existent unless the dude is ancient.
A QB in their 20's that has made a Pro Bowl? Almost impossible to find in any season.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Actually Cam Newton was 1 time All Pro.
But that's a crazy high bar because it is the top guy in the entire league at their peak.

Pro Bowl is a good bar because it widens to much lesser class but still weeds out just junk by and large.
But even then Pro Bowl in prior 2-3 seasons is nearly non-existent unless the dude is ancient.
A QB in their 20's that has made a Pro Bowl? Almost impossible to find in any season.
I agree about the availability of really good, young QBs..

But the Prowl Bowl is a bit of a joke....and especially for QB due to the drop outs, etc

Young, ex Pro Bowl QB?
Mitch Trubisky, come on down!
:laugh:

As for Cam and All-Pro
I would argue he is close to done.
Maybe not, but he seems that way at this stage.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
18 NFL teams with QB situations ?

1)Jacksonville
2) Carolina
3) Chicago
4) Washington
5) Detroit
6) Indy
7) Jets
8) Houston
9) Denver

In Limbo:
10) Rams
11 Philly
12 Dallas
13 SF Niners
14 ATL
15 Miami
16 New Orleans ?
17 Tampa Bay ?
18 Pittsburg ?

No, New England?

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
But if you want to talk about Hill, I did watch him, and he played very well. As for him only throwing 2 passes one game, that's not true unless you are talking about a game where he was not the starting QB. What you may be thinking of was the one game he only threw 16 passes, but in that game the opponent (the Broncos) did not have a single healthy QB on the roster, and had to use a WR at QB, and the Saints game plan was to be ultra conservative because there was no way they would lose unless they had a lot of turnovers. The other 3 games Hill started his passing stats were strong, and he also had success running the ball as well. The team was 3-1 with him as the starter, his passer rating and QBR were strong.

You are right about that. I got the QBs mixed up in that game. I didn't think Hill played well but like you said maybe he did.

quickccc

Reaction score
No, New England?

oh yeh somehow I forgot about New England's QB problems too.

And it's already been said that Cam Newton and his horrific QB'ing is not welcome back.
(for a guy that was actually once the leagues' MVP)

and I dunno what they really think of that backup QB, and I don't get any notion that he's the future savior.

Could Pats be one of the teams bidding for Matthew Stafford's services too ? :oops:

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
oh yeh somehow I forgot about New England's QB problems too.

And it's already been said that Cam Newton and his horrific QB'ing is not welcome back.
(for a guy that was actually once the leagues' MVP)

and I dunno what they really think of that backup QB, and I don't get any notion that he's the future savior.

Could Pats be one of the teams bidding for Matthew Stafford's services too ? :oops:

Yes but Belichick won't offer much. Other teams will out bid him ....easily (LOL)