Twitter: Schefter suggesting as many as 18 teams could change QBs

quickccc

Reaction score
Actually Cam Newton was 1 time All Pro.
But that's a crazy high bar because it is the top guy in the entire league at their peak.

Pro Bowl is a good bar because it widens to much lesser class but still weeds out just junk by and large.
But even then Pro Bowl in prior 2-3 seasons is nearly non-existent unless the dude is ancient.
A QB in their 20's that has made a Pro Bowl? Almost impossible to find in any season.

More so than that … Newton was once the NFL's Most Valuable Player in 2015.
Now he was easily among the worst starting QBs in the NFL in 2020. :(

quickccc

Reaction score
Yes but Belichick won't offer much. Other teams will out bid him ....easily (LOL)

yeh, if it was up to Stafford, he probably wouldn't ask for much to have a chance to win a SB. .. but it'll come down to Lions demanding too much that could keep Stafford away from Belly.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Doug Williams, Kerry Collins, Trent Dilfer, Brad Johnson, Rich Gannon, Jake Delhomme, Drew Brees, Nick Foles...it has happened more than you think
I think what your list shows is that a team strong in another position or unit may get to the Super Bowl with a serviceable quarterback, but you're not getting to multiple Super Bowls with serviceable quarterbacks. One hit Super Bowl wonders. Shrug.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I agree about the availability of really good, young QBs..

But the Prowl Bowl is a bit of a joke....and especially for QB due to the drop outs, etc

Young, ex Pro Bowl QB?
Mitch Trubisky, come on down!
:laugh:

As for Cam and All-Pro
I would argue he is close to done.
Maybe not, but he seems that way at this stage.
In fairness to Mitch the year he made the pro Bowl he went 11-3 as a starter with a 96 QB Rating.
It was by far his best football.

And reality is the Bears don't make the playoffs this year if they go to and stick with Foles.
Mitch is a low end starter but a starter nonetheless imho.
The Bears couldn't do much with the pass regardless of QB and it might be partially because they only had 1 legit WR.

If I were the Bears I'd be tempted to bring Mitch back on a 2 year deal and draft a WR/weapon in R1.
--this assumes you can't get in on a higher level starter like jimmy g or of course watson/dak.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I think what your list shows is that a team strong in another position or unit may get to the Super Bowl with a serviceable quarterback, but you're not getting to multiple Super Bowls with serviceable quarterbacks. One hit Super Bowl wonders. Shrug.
you gotta come up all aces to get to a SB with a moderately good QB.
It's far easier when you have a good one to start with.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
More so than that … Newton was once the NFL's Most Valuable Player in 2015.
Now he was easily among the worst starting QBs in the NFL in 2020. :(
Yea I mean that is because of his body breaking down.
Cam was a guy who relied on his power run game and a big arm for deep shots.
Now his arm is middling and he can't move that well.
His accuracy is just terrible because he never developed elite footwork.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
you gotta come up all aces to get to a SB with a moderately good QB.
It's far easier when you have a good one to start with.

sure-fire/Hall of Famers (SB appearances)
Starr - 2
Dawson - 2
Favre - 2
Wilson - 2
Warner - 3
Griese - 3
Tarkenton - 3
Aikman - 3
Roethlisberger - 3
Staubach - 4
Bradshaw - 4
Montana - 4
Kelly - 4
P Manning - 4
Elway - 5
Brady - 9

Not Hall of Famers
Morton - 2
E. Manning - 2
Plunkett - 2
Joe Theisman - 2

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
sure-fire/Hall of Famers (SB appearances)
Starr - 2
Dawson - 2
Favre - 2
Wilson - 2
Warner - 3
Griese - 3
Tarkenton - 3
Aikman - 3
Roethlisberger - 3
Staubach - 4
Bradshaw - 4
Montana - 4
Kelly - 4
P Manning - 4
Elway - 5
Brady - 9

Not Hall of Famers
Morton - 2
E. Manning - 2
Plunkett - 2
Joe Theisman - 2
While I don't think he deserves it I bet Eli gets in HoF.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Sounds dumb.... like all the weather guys that predict 2 feet of snow and are always (well 99.5%) wrong.
My phone app is so wrong every single day.

The low is 45 degrees. It's currently 28.
Zero precipitation. It's snowing.

My freaking goodness. And that was two days ago.

stiletto

Reaction score
My phone app is so wrong every single day.

The low is 45 degrees. It's currently 28.
Zero precipitation. It's snowing.

My freaking goodness. And that was two days ago.

Best profession (weather person) to get into for keeping a job and being wrong A LOT. LOL..

DFWJC

Reaction score
In fairness to Mitch the year he made the pro Bowl he went 11-3 as a starter with a 96 QB Rating.
It was by far his best football.

And reality is the Bears don't make the playoffs this year if they go to and stick with Foles.
Mitch is a low end starter but a starter nonetheless imho.
The Bears couldn't do much with the pass regardless of QB and it might be partially because they only had 1 legit WR.

If I were the Bears I'd be tempted to bring Mitch back on a 2 year deal and draft a WR/weapon in R1.
--this assumes you can't get in on a higher level starter like jimmy g or of course watson/dak.
I agree that people can be too hard on Mitch overall, but I was just pointing out that the Pro Bowl QB really may only require a QB to be top 1/2 of the league that year.
The bar is fairly low due to all the opting out, etc.

basel90

Reaction score
Some are saying the offseason will be one like never before. Guess the $37-38M question for fans, is how or if this affects Dak's negotiation.

Many teams want to avoid a punishing QB salary situation of 30 to 40 + mil given the salary cap reductions and the unpredictability of QBs and guaranteed contracts . Just look at Wentz’s co tract and others . Jerry & Stephen are being prudent holding the line on the Dak demands .

visionary

Reaction score
Bottom line is that the biggest determinant as a player to team success is a great QB, we don’t have one

the only stupider thing an organization can do is paying an above average qb like an elite QB, and we are about to do that