Video: Schefter: The Cowboys will end up tagging Dak Prescott

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
It sounds like Dak would prefer to be tagged. In all
Honesty. I would not be surprised at all if it was his strategy.

Interesting....I was thinking the same thing yesterday. Maybe the tag is exactly what he wants. Most, if not all pieces are lined up where there's no reason this can't make the playoff and even do some damage. Guess who's stand to benefit most if that happens. Not to mention CBA, a new TV contract and Mahome and Watson deals will likely be in play.

BTW.....just read a tweet yesterday that Chief wanna sign Mahome to his extension NOW but his he and his says they are not in a hurry. In fact, it was suggested he'll likely wait until next year.....wonder why??? (LOL).

rags747

Reaction score
2 sides needed to dance. At this point I’m fine with tagging him, buys us two years to see if he is really the real deal. If not then we move on happily.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Now you know why you be fam.
Love this! I always thought of a bartender story...
My mother was the head bartender at The Driskill, back in the day.
I was 14 and she converted the living room into a bar, while she was doing the course to take the license exam.
She would make drinks and have me time and taste them.
I got tipsy a few times when she got happy with her work.

I have a few stories about the Driskill too. Had to hang out there a lot, waiting for her shift to end.

Ah... Me ma. What a great/terrible, yet GREAT influence.
I miss her.
Very cool.

Funny how somebody says something and you recall long forgotten moments.

At the time it seemed so innocent but obviously anchored deep.

I have memories of my dad like that. He was a terrific golfer. Neither of my older brothers took up the sport.

I was his last chance at showing how he enjoyed playing. He was a scratch player, meaning he shot par for 18 holes on average.

So early on, he brought me to the club where he belonged and I would hold the cup flag, rake the traps, etc.

We went on to bond hugely as he taught me everything he knew. I ended up Captain of my HS team, played in college at SMU and played with him on his life ambition of playing all the famous European courses, St Andrew's, Royal Dublin, Royal Birkdale, Glen Eagles in Scotland, and many more in a 6 week golf trip.

So your story clicked with me again.

Remind me to tell you about meeting Kenny Loggins at a bar I worked at one night.

Hmmm...

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
What I saying in my post above........

• PATRICK MAHOMESQB, KANSAS CITY CHIEFS

Sports Illustrated's Albert Breer reports Patrick Mahomes "isn’t going to do a deal early just because the Chiefs want to."
    Kansas City obviously wants to extend Mahomes for the long-term, but there are non-football factors playing into the exact timing of that extension. The Super Bowl MVP is reportedly waiting for the new CBA to be implemented and could be waiting until after the NFL signs their new television deals, too. Mahomes will be the highest-paid player in league's history regardless of when a deal is reached, but it sounds like he's going to be strategically patient with the salary cap expected to climb.

SOURCE: Sports Illustrated
    Mar 10, 2020, 6:23 PM ET

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Wish Jerry would grow a pair and non exclusive him and draft or bring in a vet QB. This is crazy top $ for a average QB.
It's not as much the money.

Its paying the money before winning anything of note.

People keep wanting to compare Dak's money to a new Mahomes contract.

Are they just goofy or drunk?

Mahomes has won a SB in his 2nd season.

Dak is so far behind that. Plus Dallas has spent a King's Ransom for the players around Dak to build an Uber offense for Dak to win with.

Still he can't pull it off.

Our fans and our owner are making some hugely risky decisions now.

We'll see.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Interesting....I was thinking the same thing yesterday. Maybe the tag is exactly what he wants. Most, if not all pieces are lined up where there's no reason this can't make the playoff and even do some damage. Guess who's stand to benefit most if that happens. Not to mention CBA, a new TV contract and Mahome and Watson deals will likely be in play.

BTW.....just read a tweet yesterday that Chief wanna sign Mahome to his extension NOW but his he and his says they are not in a hurry. In fact, it was suggested he'll likely wait until next year.....wonder why??? (LOL).

It makes sense. Take the guaranteed 30 mil this season and then get a long term deal next off season once they fully know how much the cap will increase.

the only risk is injury.

That’s why the deal now is such a big issue. He probably figures why sign a long term deal now unless it blows him out of the water.

The more I think about it. The more the tag makes sense for both parties. Dak gets a short team deal with fully guaranteed money and a chance to cash in soon under the new CBA. The cowboys get to see how he does under McCarthy before locking him up long term.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
What I saying in my post above........

• PATRICK MAHOMESQB, KANSAS CITY CHIEFS

Sports Illustrated's Albert Breer reports Patrick Mahomes "isn’t going to do a deal early just because the Chiefs want to."
    Kansas City obviously wants to extend Mahomes for the long-term, but there are non-football factors playing into the exact timing of that extension. The Super Bowl MVP is reportedly waiting for the new CBA to be implemented and could be waiting until after the NFL signs their new television deals, too. Mahomes will be the highest-paid player in league's history regardless of when a deal is reached, but it sounds like he's going to be strategically patient with the salary cap expected to climb.

SOURCE: Sports Illustrated
    Mar 10, 2020, 6:23 PM ET

Whatever he wants he should get..

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Sorry if repost.

Schefter says Dallas loves Dak but Dallas has a certain number and idea in his mind and Dak thinks he should be rewarded for playing out his rookie deal.

Dallas believes he should take a "discount" to receive all of the benefits of being the Cowboys Quarterback and Dak believes he should be paid "top top dollar".

He thinks Amari Cooper is going to be paid north of 20 million a year. Unbelievable..

Then walk, bub!
We deserve more for our quid.
The combine had great tryouts.

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
Non-exclusive.

THIS.

Dallas needs to stop playing nice with these players and actually negotiate with them, as @CATCH17 pointed out.

You put the non-exclusive tag on Dak and you open negotiations with Tom Brady. That will bring Dak to the table. If it doesn’t, you might just have to follow through with your bluff, sign Tom Terrific and trade Dak for picks, then get your QB of the future in this draft.

Burrow, Tua, Herbert, Love, Easton - every one of them except Burrow can be had, especially if they get a nice deal for Dak.

Fromm, Hurts, and James Morgan are all going to play in this league as well. This is the best quarterback draft class in our lifetime.

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
Yeah.. At least Cooper is 25 years old so his deal should look nice in a few years.

I just don't see a lot of highly paid WR's winning titles.

Dallas is really building their team the wrong way but at least when Cooper is on he is really good.

I thought he was a top 4 receiver last year until about week 10.

To be fair, he battled injuries the entire second half of the season. Most receivers in this league wouldn’t have played.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Things do seem to be heading for the FO electing to franchise tag Dak.

Both parties in the contract negotiation are adamant about holding firm.

As an end result, I suspect that both of them might regret how it ended.

Both of them may come to see how they might easily have done better.

Last edited:

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Very cool.

Funny how somebody says something and you recall long forgotten moments.

At the time it seemed so innocent but obviously anchored deep.

I have memories of my dad like that. He was a terrific golfer. Neither of my older brothers took up the sport.

I was his last chance at showing how he enjoyed playing. He was a scratch player, meaning he shot par for 18 holes on average.

So early on, he brought me to the club where he belonged and I would hold the cup flag, rake the traps, etc.

We went on to bond hugely as he taught me everything he knew. I ended up Captain of my HS team, played in college at SMU and played with him on his life ambition of playing all the famous European courses, St Andrew's, Royal Dublin, Royal Birkdale, Glen Eagles in Scotland, and many more in a 6 week golf trip.

So your story clicked with me again.

Remind me to tell you about meeting Kenny Loggins at a bar I worked at one night.

Hmmm...
So you didn't ask me, but I will finish my bar tender thought.

My first job behind a bar was at a supper club in Dallas. Back then they were very popular. You would eat at your table and in b/w acts you would get served your next course, etc.

Anyway, one night I am cleaning the bar waiting for the curtain to come down inside and a guy comes in and sits down. I ask him what he wanted and says a Coors. I serve him and get a good look at his face and it's Kenny Loggins.

I could tell from his voice. I said "hey, you are Kenny Loggins" and nods yes. I asked him what he was doing there and he says he is waiting for the lead girl in the play to get off work. Terri was her name. Beautiful thing. So we waited and I chatted and poured.

Never gave him a bill. He tipped me 2 tickets to his concert in Ft. Worth and I went. He gave me a name to use to come back stage for the after party of the concert.

I went and Terri was there and we smoked joints all night. I had a great time and consider it the highlight of my bartending experiences.

As a waiter, I waited on Don Ho, a famous Hawaiian singer performer. He was very cool and left me a $50 tip which in 1970 was a big one.

So your moma knew what she was doing to feed you. I always liked working bars and restaurants because the chefs fed the workers before work. Never paid to eat in those places.

Later.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Big Mike better be able to get 38 ppg out of this offense because our defense is going to suck this year
Dak is going to have to learn how to take the air out of the ball this year for us to win.

He needs to talk to Brady about that.

mardwin

Reaction score
Dak is going to have to learn how to take the air out of the ball this year for us to win.

He needs to talk to Brady about that.

I take Brady as a bus driver doubt anyone would load the box with him behind center.