Schefter: Zack Martin Unhappy with Contract; Considering Not Reporting to Camp

blueblood70

Reaction score

this is unusual coming from a guy like Zach Martin and I don't believe he would do that but it seems to be in the water right now players complaining about their contracts from the running backs all the way down.

I don't get it but what I see and we knew this was coming when you overpaid quarterbacks, so much especially the ones from like rankings maybe around 12 to 15 or a guy like Daniel Jones getting $42 million and then you have pass rushers getting 30 million you getting some of the inside guys getting 20 to 25 million you see the positions all getting more money and yet some of the best offensive lineman which are very important are not making anywhere close to that it makes guys think about saying things like this I doubt he'll act on it...

It did work for Aaron Donald basically threaten retirement said he didn't threaten but we saw it was a passive aggressive move and then he gets a lifetime achievement award through a huge contract and realize he can still play but he'll never live up to that contract and now the Rams are paying for all that they went all in gotta Super Bowl but now all their players won't take pay cuts and adjust their contracts and the Rams are gonna be in another at least a year or two to recover from that.

I don't think Jerry's going to do that but Zach Martin may get a restructure with some bonus money, I don't even know what his contract is but you can't have every player threaten to hold out and demand more money and then acquiesce to it because then everyone will do it....

Gaede

Reaction score
this is unusual coming from a guy like Zach Martin and I don't believe he would do that but it seems to be in the water right now players complaining about their contracts from the running backs all the way down.

I don't get it but what I see and we knew this was coming when you overpaid quarterbacks, so much especially the ones from like rankings maybe around 12 to 15 or a guy like Daniel Jones getting $42 million and then you have pass rushers getting 30 million you getting some of the inside guys getting 20 to 25 million you see the positions all getting more money and yet some of the best offensive lineman which are very important are not making anywhere close to that it makes guys think about saying things like this I doubt he'll act on it...

It did work for Aaron Donald basically threaten retirement said he didn't threaten but we saw it was a passive aggressive move and then he gets a lifetime achievement award through a huge contract and realize he can still play but he'll never live up to that contract and now the Rams are paying for all that they went all in gotta Super Bowl but now all their players won't take pay cuts and adjust their contracts and the Rams are gonna be in another at least a year or two to recover from that.

I don't think Jerry's going to do that but Zach Martin may get a restructure with some bonus money, I don't even know what his contract is but you can't have every player threaten to hold out and demand more money and then acquiesce to it because then everyone will do it....
This is absurd. A potential hall of fame player is obviously underpaid. What is he supposed to do? Grin and take it for the good of the team? Without him, the team is significantly worse. Every player, every employee deserves to be paid what they're worth, and owners can absolutely make it happen. They choose not to, not for any selfless reason, but because it's easier to profit when employees are underpaid.

John813

Reaction score
Even when you get a player signed cheaply it ends up catching up eventually.

No free lunch ever.

Wasn’t he signed well before he was due to hit free agency? So he wanted the security of that but also wants to be paid as if he is a free agent? Got it.

That all said, they need him here and ought to take care of him.

He was the #1 paid guard once he signed his extension. He was never paid cheaply.

He will be 33 years old this season. No signs of slowing down yet, but at the same time you have to wonder about when that cliff may come or being more prone to injuries.

Odd wording in AS tweet as his contract was "restructured" in March. He wants an extension, presumably, not a restructure.

blueblood70

Reaction score
This is absurd. A potential hall of fame player is obviously underpaid. What is he supposed to do? Grin and take it for the good of the team? Without him, the team is significantly worse. Every player, every employee deserves to be paid what they're worth, and owners can absolutely make it happen. They choose not to, not for any selfless reason, but because it's easier to profit when employees are underpaid.
To all the players that do this they signed the contract the owners do not have to acquiesce to it I'm sorry you think that but there's a thing called integrity and when you sign something it's called a contract it's legally binding of course Jerry might come to the table and talk about a little bonus but don't say that every player has a right to come back interband more money even though he signed the contract that means they shouldn't even have contracts what good is the paper it's even written on? To say it's absurd you're obviously not a business person this is a business this is a giant corporation the NFL is $100 billion business and each one of these 32 teams franchises have a salary cap to work with and they have a lot of people to pay you cannot just give in to every demand or it will become out of control do you not understand this I mean maybe you have no general business acumen.. That's what it sounds like you just want to stick up for the players but forget there's a business side of it I didn't say he wasn't worth redoing his contract I'm telling you that threatening to hold out is a bad way of going about it and I don't even believe the story is 100% true and again he may get his stuff redone with a little bit more up front and bonus or something but again I'm sticking to my reply and you to say it's absurd meaning you have no clue on how business is run and you're not keeping in mind what a contract is and the fact is the NFL is a hard salary cap they literally have other players to pay... You know huge contracts coming up for Trayvon diggs Micah Parsons CD lamb possible restructure with Prescott there's not an endless amount of money on a hard salary cap.

No one's saying the man doesn't deserve a little bit more money but I'm telling you it's the wrong way to go about it and I'll say it again reread because I'm not going to copy and paste what I already wrote that you replied to I'm sticking to that 100%..

Please stop telling me how absurd I am when you obviously don't even have a clue when it comes to how this really works....

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I’m all for guys getting what they are owed but he got his big deal and is upset because he signed a long term deal and the deal isn’t big anymore?

blueblood70

Reaction score
Easier to profit you know that's absurd right every team has the same salary cap and the same budget to work under has nothing to do with profits you literally have to spend that money anyway how they allocate it to 60 players is the challenge and if you don't understand business and what a contract is and what a hard salary cap is please don't talk to me anymore.... If you acquiesce to every player's demands you're gonna have an out of control system and it cannot be out of control This is why you have contracts. No one's saying the man isn't gonna get a little bit more money I'm telling you threatening holdouts it's not the way to go about it when you committed with your signature on the bottom of a contract.
Oh and saying that we're gonna be significantly worse it might be true but also all these players that teams have played here all these Max contracts and these giant contracts these restructured contracts and still doesn't this place say it's been what 27 to 30 years since we've done anything significant I mean they're saying get rid of Prescott because I guess we don't need a top ten quarterback because he hasn't won anything well this is Zach Martin park of that same roster that hasn't done anything recently? How about we go win a Super Bowl and then we can have these players get their lifetime achievement awards through a larger contract..

btgboys41

Reaction score
I would not prioritize another players contract until Martin is happy with a new extension. He’s a foundational piece to this team and probably it’s best player if not Micah. He’s never a squeaky wheel so this time, add some oil to it.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I would not prioritize another players contract until Martin is happy with a new extension. He’s a foundational piece to this team and probably it’s best player if not Micah. He’s never a squeaky wheel so this time, add some oil to it.
Yeah but he’s a guard. We have more pressing issues than his position. We need him don’t get me wrong but he’s a right guard for us.

RFABR

Reaction score
Well, they couldn't pull a Tyron Smith with his contract.

Just pay the man for god's sake