Schefter: Zack Martin Unhappy with Contract; Considering Not Reporting to Camp

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Comments are very interesting. I wonder if they'd be the same if other players did this. Zack getting the Witten pass huh?
Of course he is. Zeke did this and they were up in arms and called him selfish. Martin does it and they are literally on their knees begging him to come back lol. “We need you…..”.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Yup.

Martin is just another casualty of other guys bad contracts.
Well he (and his agent) certainly can see other players getting or negotiating their bag (Steele included) and possibly saying hang on I've been team friendly, the backbone of the O-Line others are making their money off me and tge benefits of the new TV Deals.....just wants some respect and recognition.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Well he (and his agent) certainly can see other players getting or negotiating their bag (Steele included) and possibly saying hang on I've been team friendly, the backbone of the O-Line others are making their money off me and tge benefits of the new TV Deals.....just wants some respect and recognition.
He got his respect and recognition….the problem is he and his agent wanted security so they signed a long term deal. Now the deal is old and cheap and now they want a better deal. Which he is owed but this is exactly why guys sign 4 or 5 year deals…..

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Of course he is. Zeke did this and they were up in arms and called him selfish. Martin does it and they are literally on their knees begging him to come back lol. “We need you…..”.
But wasnt the Zeke issue that he held out two years early to make sure he got paid before Dak, realising that our CAP management was it's usual awful self. With Martin he wants some recognition as others are getting inflated payments off his talents.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
But wasnt the Zeke issue that he held out two years early to make sure he got paid before Dak, realising that our CAP management was it's usual awful self. With Martin he wants some recognition as others are getting inflated payments off his talents.
Who’s getting inflated payment off his talents? He’s a right guard lol.

And you are correct but Zeke and his team did this prior to getting a big deal. Martin got his and signed s long term deal. Him wanting more money is fine. He deserves it….threatening to hold out if true is where things kind of get blurred.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
It's interesting as this was inevitable really. Elite players like Martin watching players like Prescott being paid elite money must really do his head in when he thinks about the two play off games against the 49ers.
Prescott is why Martin would even get paid big money. If it was Burrow or Mahomes their teams would tell him to kick rocks lol.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
It's interesting as this was inevitable really. Elite players like Martin watching players like Prescott being paid elite money must really do his head in when he thinks about the two play off games against the 49ers.
He, like Cooper, are just 2 of the dominos to fall.

There will be more if it continues with this path.

There’s not enough money to go around when you pay a premium for an inferior product.

Creeper

Reaction score
I have mixed feelings about this. First, I hate to see it in a year when we thought the team finally had a chance to do something big. A contract dispute with the best OL on the team at this point would be disruptive.

I understand Martin's feelings, but he got a contract and he signed it. He got paid a $20 million signing bonus and got his salary paid up front when he restructured his deal twice. The problem for Jerry is if he pays Martin now he can potential upset other veteran players like DLaw. Tyron Smith just took a pay cut. How is he going to feel?

Martin's deal expires after the 2024 season, like Dak's. Zack will be 34 by then. He has two voided years, maybe Jerry could extend him those two years and pay him in salary to leave open the possibility of letting him go without cap consequences if his age catches up to him.

I just hate to see this now.

conner01

Reaction score
7 million below the top paid guards for 2023 is significant. Restructure…add 2-3 years, and give him a fat bonus this year. No problem.
It is significant now
It wasn’t when he signed it