Schefter: Zack Martin Unhappy with Contract; Considering Not Reporting to Camp

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
there is no flaw the employers and their lawyers created the contracts the players and their agents signed them yet if the owners wanted to get out of the contract they still owe the player any balance of the guaranteed money they also take a hit on the cap with the dead cap money so it's not all roses and many of those players are not producing anymore N do players give back money when they get injured missed seasons or miss five or six games? In the end it all evens out but the fact is he's under contract and it is a business and Jerry will do the right thing and I know Zach Martin has high integrity and he's not gonna hold out the entire off season I'm sure he'll be back game one regardless of a new contract or not this is just probably his agent said why don't you say something maybe you'll get this moving but I'm pretty sure Jerry already knew about it... But there is no flaw the man has a contract he's paid well if you just look at bright guards he's top five like he's 4th if you look at overall guards he's like 8th I'm sorry but that's not horrible money and he is up there in age so you gotta be able to see both sides of this yes we all love Zach Martin but it's still a business they're still a salary cap and they still gotta sign a bunch of players coming up here soon who are gonna be wanting these brand new big contracts these overpaid bloated contracts we have to somehow fit that under the salary cap so every position just like the running backs are crying or slotted for certain money so you can't just demand money and get a new deal because you are in fact still under contract with your old deal. I get why they do it and he might deserve some more money but I'm not flawed at all my argument is actually facts it's is what it is in sports..
I am checking to see if I need to warn you about paragraph abuse.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's downright peculiar. Look, if one wants to just hold firm on the belief that all players should abide by the signed contracts and play them out, great. That's an arguable stance. But to sit here and try to argue that Martin doesn't deserve an extension or raise because he's not worthy of it with his play is just strange. He was the best OG in football last year.
Zack Martin is arguably the best or second best player on this team, perhaps behind only Micah Parsons. Martin would start for any of the 32 teams in this league which (other than Parsons) could not be said about any other Cowboys player.

People hand wringing over this and the cap IMO is really not worth worrying about. Pay Zack Martin. It’s his last hurrah in a HOF career.

MLB53

Reaction score
See if you can get a 1st round draft pick and trade him is the best option he 33 yrs old, next up

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Again, he didn't go public. At least as far as we know. Schefter reported "sources" are saying this. OK, maybe it was Martin. Or maybe it was his agent. Or maybe it was someone with the Cowboys. Maybe it was a family member. We have no idea. It's not like he issued a formal statement to the press or anything.
”Sources” with this team means within the team. They think they can manipulate the media to suit their own needs.

They made up the story about Dez in the parking lot and Prescott wanting 40M so his agent made them pay for that one.

The best way to insure they get all the media exposure they want is to be the best source.

There is no greater contributor to the financial success of this team than the media.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I am checking to see if I need to warn you about paragraph abuse.
it's called talk to text sorry cant help you, given the fact that i use that because im multitasking using Ipad/Iphone and, pc for work and by the time i try and come back to edit its past the edit time. Be that as it may, my point still made..
if you'd like to extend the editing time we can do that....Ill fix it lol

so right now i'm using the hit and run posting method, given the fact that i'm an HVAC contractor, and i'm very busy.....

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
I think you have to carry those dummy year cap hits on those specific years. So if Martin plays out in 2024 and then isn't resigned, the Cowboys have to carry those dummy charges in 2025/26. But I could be wrong.
Yep you're right the void money gets paid in full in the first of the void years, so with Zack it's $9.9m in 2025

aikemirv

Reaction score
Since next year is the last year of his contract any way and we will undoubtedly restructure his $13M 2024 base salary downwards like we do every year for cap purposes...just extend the man. You don't screw around with the great players. Give him a SB now and a couple of big $ years starting in 2025 and cut his 2024 base to $1M. The only cap hit this year would be 1/5 of his SB and next year his cap hit would go down.
Well if they are not interested in discussing the contract with them are they considering letting him go instead of taking that 13 mill base salary - That is what he is likely concerned about.

Streifenkarl

Reaction score
Again, he didn't go public. At least as far as we know. Schefter reported "sources" are saying this. OK, maybe it was Martin. Or maybe it was his agent. Or maybe it was someone with the Cowboys. Maybe it was a family member. We have no idea. It's not like he issued a formal statement to the press or anything.
Thought he posted it on Twitter. My bad then. I don't have a problem with him trying to renegotiate. Just turn up in TC on day one and they can do whatever they want. Most of these things shouldn't reach the public in the first place, damn all those narcistic leakers.

Last edited:

MyFairLady

Reaction score
We have him under contract for this year and next year for a reasonable price. After that he will be 35. No team in their right mind who is serious about wining would change a thing. This is such a stupid conversation. Clearly many of you care more about the player than you do the team.

gtb1943

Reaction score
We have him under contract for this year and next year for a reasonable price. After that he will be 35. No team in their right mind who is serious about wining would change a thing. This is such a stupid conversation. Clearly many of you care more about the player than you do the team.
A player like Martin deserves special consideration. You don't seem to get that.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Correct.

Here is proof...

I think Tyler smith was very good for a rookie and has a bright future ahead of him.

But Zach Martin was a far better player last year. Yeah Tyler is stronger at the point of attack and moving guys off the ball.

But consistency? Pass blocking? Technique? Martin is significantly better than Tyler for now.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Zack Martin is arguably the best or second best player on this team, perhaps behind only Micah Parsons. Martin would start for any of the 32 teams in this league which (other than Parsons) could not be said about any other Cowboys player.

People hand wringing over this and the cap IMO is really not worth worrying about. Pay Zack Martin. It’s his last hurrah in a HOF career.
People act like adding 2 million a year over the next couple seasons is going to break the cowboys cap situation.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
The dude was probably smiling when he signed that 6 year 84 million dollar contract. But I get it, he is underpaid right now. I just hope he's not strapped for cash when he should already be set for life.

He's one player I'd make an exception for since he probably has more pro bowls than holding calls. But it's not a precedent you want to set.
Had he been injured the Cowboys would have had to pay him for no play at all and he would have considered that fair. I doubt the Cowboys, or any other team, would give in under this circumstance.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
33 years old 2 years left on his deal if we didn't have a gimp QB I wouldn't pay him an extra dollar(Team First) even though the man deserves it.
When the center is weak the Natives get restless......and get paid....right Zeke????

Rayman70

Reaction score
Guy played over 1100 snaps last year with 1 penalty and 0 sacks allowed. Let’s cut him.
nobody is sayin that whatsoever. I think what we are saying is, can we at least be forward thinking? His age is a reality. We need 2 be aware of that. I might rework his existing deal and throw a bit of money his way upfront, but thats it. I am not adding years unless they are voidable.