Schefter: Zack Martin Unhappy with Contract; Considering Not Reporting to Camp

McKDaddy

Reaction score
He didn't say it was violated. He's saying owners do not have to honor a contract, because they don't.
I don't see the distinction. Players union can lobby for 1 year contracts that way both sides can reassess.

Sydla

Reaction score
Zack Martin doesn't want $2 million more a year. He wants top position pay ($20 million)/year.
Please point out the quote/statement from Martin that confirms this.

You are extrapolating quite a bit from a Schefter report where it appears he got his information from the team and not the Martin camp.

Sydla

Reaction score
Yeah. It’s all cap math.

Look at the base salary. Any signing bonus was already paid and gets spread out.

He’s getting this years base + 2024.

He’s UFA after 24.

His moneys not right.

He can afford to sit 2023 if they don’t fix it.
You are wrong. And multiple people have pointed this out to you.

His base salary this year was was $13.5MM. In March, the Cowboys restructured his deal where they converted $11.8MM of that base salary to a bonus. In doing so, they paid him $11.8MM cash in March. They did that to spread his base salary cap charge over the remaining years of his contract. Yes, that was a cap move but it doesn't change the underlying payment of cash to Martin.

No, he's not getting just $1.7MM this year. He's going to get $13.5MM in cash in 2023. Again, because the Cowboys already paid him $11.8MM in March 2023. The $1.7MM you keep linking on Spotrac or Over the Cap is just the NEW base salary remaining after they already paid him the $11.8MM just a couple months ago.

You linked to his Spotrac page and you can read on the far right side of the page his transactions and it says on Mar 10, 2023 he converted some of his base salary to a bonus.

Just take the L on this one and move on.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
i really don't have much sympathy for anyone here.....millionaires fighting with billionaires...i don't think Zack or any player for that matter has fans feeling sorry for them. They are all grown men who have signed business contracts and signing them have consequences, just like we all have. More money or not, i really don't care.

mcmvp

Reaction score
i really don't have much sympathy for anyone here.....millionaires fighting with billionaires...i don't think Zack or any player for that matter has fans feeling sorry for them. They are all grown men who have signed business contracts and signing them have consequences, just like we all have. More money or not, i really don't care.
I agree with you. It’s the fans I feel sorry for in these situations… especially if it’s a player that’s vital to your team’s success.

aikemirv

Reaction score
So zeke had two years left on his deal. No guaranteed money left. The deal he signed would have had him earn that last two years of money as he was under contract for those two years. He was cut. He will not see that money, ever. The Cowboys did not honor the contract. It happens every year. In fact we discuss amongst ourselves who the cowboys should not honor their contract with so we can have better cap numbers or a different player. We actively promote the cowboys not honoring their contracts at times.

With that in mind, I think players should do the same. Do not honor the contract if you don’t want to, as your employer probably won’t either, and certainly haven’t when it comes to other players.
No the deal that he agreed to was that they could walk away. You are missing what the responsibilities of the deal are!

DuncanIso

Reaction score
You are wrong. And multiple people have pointed this out to you.

His base salary this year was was $13.5MM. In March, the Cowboys restructured his deal where they converted $11.8MM of that base salary to a bonus. In doing so, they paid him $11.8MM cash in March. They did that to spread his base salary cap charge over the remaining years of his contract. Yes, that was a cap move but it doesn't change the underlying payment of cash to Martin.

No, he's not getting just $1.7MM this year. He's going to get $13.5MM in cash in 2023. Again, because the Cowboys already paid him $11.8MM in March 2023. The $1.7MM you keep linking on Spotrac or Over the Cap is just the NEW base salary remaining after they already paid him the $11.8MM just a couple months ago.

You linked to his Spotrac page and you can read on the far right side of the page his transactions and it says on Mar 10, 2023 he converted some of his base salary to a bonus.

Just take the L on this one and move on.
Yes.

They do convert base into a signing bonus through cap restructure.

It “kicks the cap can” down the road.

And yes, ZM is still butt hurt over his money.

Sydla

Reaction score
Yes.

They do convert base into a signing bonus through cap restructure.

It “kicks the cap can” down the road.

And yes, ZM is still butt hurt over his money.
Then why argue that his base is only $1.7MM like you did?

I don't have a problem with Martin asking for more security/money from Dallas. But arguing that he only has "$1.7MM in salary" this year is a misrepresentation of what he's actually going to get paid this league year.

quickccc

Reaction score
I think Zack will call the Cowboys' bluff,. . but will back off once those daily fines begin to present a threat.

All depends upon if the Cowboys will either take a " no re-negotiations " stand with long time core player Martin .. or give into him and go ahead to re-negotiate with him, much like
they did with Zeke Elliott.

Frankly I don't think Martin is underpaid, as he is among highest paid OGs in NFL, but at his age and current status - he's no longer dominant, but still very solid and reliable.
I think he knows this and it's now or never with trying to get even more of a max deal with this TV contract deal, and before his obvious decline as solid is over.

Sydla

Reaction score
I think Zack will call the Cowboys' bluff,. . but will back off once those daily fines begin to present a threat.

All depends upon if the Cowboys will either take a " no re-negotiations " stand with long time core player Martin .. or give into him and go ahead to re-negotiate with him, much like
they did with Zeke Elliott.

Frankly I don't think Martin is underpaid, as he is among highest paid OGs in NFL, but at his age and current status - he's no longer dominant, but still very solid and reliable.
I think he knows this and it's now or never with trying to get even more of a max deal with this TV contract deal, and before his obvious decline as solid is over.
He was literally a first team all pro last year.

Are first team all pros not dominant players?

Look, I get it if some of you are arguing on principle that guys that want new deals and/or hold out shouldn't be rewarded. But this narrative that Martin isn't a great OG anymore as a defense of not giving him a new deal is just hilarious. The dude was the best OG in football last year.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Then why argue that his base is only $1.7MM like you did?

I don't have a problem with Martin asking for more security/money from Dallas. But arguing that he only has "$1.7MM in salary" this year is a misrepresentation of what he's actually going to get paid this league year.
Because his base is 1.7 mil.

And he’s butt hurt level bravo.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Look, I get it if some of you are arguing on principle that guys that want new deals and/or hold out shouldn't be rewarded. But this narrative that Martin isn't a great OG anymore as a defense of not giving him a new deal is just hilarious. The dude was the best OG in football last year.
99% of the time, I side with players on the money issues and with Zack Martin, I’m 100% in his corner.

NFL Players- if they are fortunate enough- have about a decade to make the most money in their career for their elite level of skill that fades with age and injury. They literally risk their physical well being every time the ball is snapped. Sure they make a lot of money but it’s pennys compared to the boss man.

Owners on the other hand risk almost zero. They can make a fortune without risking a penny. The NFL prints money. They lost money in the 2020 pandemic season but every other year, after paying all their bills, they’re still making billions (plural). Owning an NFL team is an almost zero risk business endeavor. Some owners do nothing more than have their name associated with the team and still make gobs of cash.

Don’t worry about the owners. They’re not losing any money. The players are risking a lot to play this game. And without them, there’s nothing interesting about the NFL.

phildadon86

Reaction score

I gave up a while ago.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
I say they don’t honor them. Sign some one for 5 years then cut them after 3? Yeah they didn’t honor the contract they agreed to. Just like with Zeke, Demarcus Ware, and many others.
Players seek protection in their agreements with the franchise, so does the franchise. Exercising your rights under the terms of the agreement is honoring it. Players say it’s a business right up until they want it to be about loyalty and appreciating their effort. If they don’t get it they threaten to sit out. Very businesslike.

Sydla

Reaction score
Because his base is 1.7 mil.

And he’s butt hurt level bravo.
But his base was actually $13.5 million. They just paid him $11.8 million of that in March instead of split over the 17 week season. It's no different than your boss coming to you and saying they will pay you 80% of your 2023 total salary in January and then the remaining 20% over Oct, Nov and Dec. You salary is still the grand total, not what they just paid you in those last three months.

Sydla

Reaction score
I gave up a while ago.
It really is just weird. Imagine coming to this board, as a Cowboys fan, and suggesting that Zack Martin isn't that good anymore or was just "solid" last year despite his coming off another all pro year and is pretty much universally (pundits, analysts, front office people, coaches) considered the best OG in football.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
IM sure they can come to a middle ground somewhere, martin's a high integrity guy and i believe he won't sit out the year. he wil be here game 1 new deal or not...
He's also a declining player. Almost time to move on.

phildadon86

Reaction score
It really is just weird. Imagine coming to this board, as a Cowboys fan, and suggesting that Zack Martin isn't that good anymore or was just "solid" last year despite his coming off another all pro year and is pretty much universally (pundits, analysts, front office people, coaches) considered the best OG in football.
What’s funny is the same posters discuss Dak being ranked by the same people as top ten. And or make excuses for his interceptions. And then go as far as to say he doesn’t have a lot of penalties because the refs don’t call him for them… it’s insane