Schefter: Zack Martin Unhappy with Contract; Considering Not Reporting to Camp

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Zak, I would prefer you retire or shut up and do your job, however, I understand your timing to make it known you want to renegotiate your contract is purely strategic. You are in a position of strength to get what you want. Good luck.
He’s only making 1.7 mil in 2023.

glimmerman

Reaction score
He wants to be restructured. Guessing extended. Get a little piece of what’s going on. They maybe strapped after the new money and new contracts come out. Big numbers are coming due. The Parsons contract will be a whopper.

Flamma

Reaction score
He’s only making 1.7 mil in 2023.
The dude was probably smiling when he signed that 6 year 84 million dollar contract. But I get it, he is underpaid right now. I just hope he's not strapped for cash when he should already be set for life.

He's one player I'd make an exception for since he probably has more pro bowls than holding calls. But it's not a precedent you want to set.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
He wants to be restructured. Guessing extended. Get a little piece of what’s going on. They maybe strapped after the new money and new contracts come out. Big numbers are coming due. The Parsons contract will be a whopper.
Yes.

I’d guess 4 years @ 60 million. 40 signing bonus.

So 5 base + 10 mil bonus = 15 cap hit per

His agent has probably been talking to them for a while,

This is just an escalation of the negotiating.

He’s UFA after 24. So get it done Jerry.

Note: he could be having $$$ problems. Who knows.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
The dude was probably smiling when he signed that 6 year 84 million dollar contract. But I get it, he is underpaid right now. I just hope he's not strapped for cash when he should already be set for life.

He's one player I'd make an exception for since he probably has more pro bowls than holding calls. But it's not a precedent you want to set.
He should have $$$ invested.

He’d be earning 5 percent just off basic interest.

He’s 33. Who wants to play OL forever. His knees have to be shot.

John813

Reaction score
You are arrogant.

Read it for yourself.

Spotrac Zack Salary

1.7 mil base.

Read more of the lines to the right.

He got a 11.8mil check in March for restructuring his base down to 1.7mil. He got paid up front. His yearly cash will be the highest since 2018 when he signed his new deal/got that 20mil signing bonus.

If anything, it's ideal to have a lower base and get a huge check in the offseason when you play in Texas/only have federal taxes. If his base was still at 13.5mil, each time he went out of state to a place that had more state/income taxes that would of been a higher amount of money lost.

Daks base salary is also 1.7mil this year due to restructuring. Yet, he's going to take home 31 mil this year

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Read more of the lines to the right.

He got a 11.8mil check in March for restructuring his base down to 1.7mil. He got paid up front. His yearly cash will be the highest since 2018 when he signed his new deal/got that 20mil signing bonus.

If anything, it's ideal to have a lower base and get a huge check in the offseason when you play in Texas/only have federal taxes. If his base was still at 13.5mil, each time he went out of state to a place that had more state/income taxes that would of been a higher amount of money lost.

Daks base salary is also 1.7mil this year due to restructuring. Yet, he's going to take home 31 mil this year
That’s mostly cap math.

He got his signing bonus years ago.

He wants a new deal.

I don’t blame him.

John813

Reaction score
That’s mostly cap math.

He got his signing bonus years ago.

He wants a new deal.

I don’t blame him.

You serious Clark? What's "cap math" in my post? Cap math is his cap hit, but that's not the topic here. You brought up his low base salary without realizing he already got paid 11.8mil. Unless you think base salaries should always match a players worth, which is silly when contracts get restructured.

If his deal had not been restructured he would of received $0.00 from the Cowboys for the 2023-24 season to date.

But, since his deal was restructured, he took home $11.8mil in real money in March for this season. And that's fully guaranteed money this year. If he gets cut, he keeps that money.
And since his deal was restructured it added more dead cap to this and future years(2 voids). Dallas would have more incentive to get a new deal done/or cut him early in 2024(23 cap hit-19mil dead).

I get players wanting more security/money/guarantees. But it's not like Dallas has done him dirty his entire time here.

phildadon86

Reaction score
I don't know why you are being so obtuse about this. If a player is dominant then why couldn't he be dominant with Tyron or Jason beside him? Oh, it's because he wasn't being so dominant to begin with.
Sure thing. Offensive line play has a lot to do with cohesion and playing together. When you’re shuffling the RT the RG is going to struggle regardless of who he is because now he’s not only doing his job, he’s cleaning up the mistakes of the guy next to him. I can explain more about offensive line play to you if you like. Martin is dominant and was dominant again last year. Regardless if you show me 30 plays where he wasn’t. He was elite on 740 of them. Tyler smith wasn’t. Let’s compare them as rookies. Or do you not want to do that?

Flamma

Reaction score
He should have $$$ invested.

He’d be earning 5 percent just off basic interest.

He’s 33. Who wants to play OL forever. His knees have to be shot.
Agreed 100%. In some cases a higher percent when you invest more money. Which is why I made that comment about being strapped for cash. But I realize his issue could be ego related. I just don't know.