Schools may ban chocolate milk

MetalHead

Benched
Reaction score
Joshmvii;3950392 said:
I hope you actually realize that there is nothing in most people's genetics that makes them fat. Nearly every person in my family is overweight or obese. I was overweight myself once. I stopped eating too much and started working out and now I'm magically lean. OMG genetics! The tiniest fraction of the world's population actually have thyroid disorders and things that cause them issues with being overweight. Everybody else is just making excuses. Come let me put you on a strict diet and exercise regimen and we'll see if your genetics magically cause you to remain fat.

Admittedly, I was being hyperbolic about the 12%. A man can get up to around 15 to 18% without being extremely unhealthy for the most part, as long as they're still getting some exercise, but that still doesn't change the fact that being overweight is detrimental to our health.

The people in this thread asking for links to research about obesity causing illnesses are hilarious too. It's like asking somebody to link you to research showing that smoking causes cancer. It's basic, accepted, and understood by now.

So genetics don't matter.
Some people who I know can eat a truck load full of food and gain nothing,while others,barely breathe and put on weight.
Is that magic?...and don't try to clean up your 12% mess.You meant it.
It is understood that diet and working out help lose weight.
Subjecting oneself to a strict diet and excercise regime is not really living.
To impress who?
To lower insurance costs?
You call that life?....no man,that's no way to live.
I would buy the argument that you don't wanna be fat,but your reasons for personal fitness do not come from your inner being.They come from your wallet.

MetalHead

Benched
Reaction score
theogt;3950393 said:
Holy cripes you're about as ignorant as it gets. Dumb statement after dumb statement just comes spewing from your mouth breathing head.

Funny part Theo,is that this is a football fan board.
He watches football and football has tons of "fat lazy slobs".
I'm sure genetics had nothing to do with some players being 6'5'' 325 lbs and some 6'1' 200 lbs.
None.

MetalHead

Benched
Reaction score
Incoming!!!!!

Scientists have found that a gene linked to diabetes and cholesterol is a "master switch" that controls other genes found in fat in the body, and say it should help in the search for treatments for obesity-related diseases.
In a study published in the journal Nature Genetics, the British researchers said that since fat plays an important role in peoples' susceptibility to metabolic diseases like obesity, heart disease and diabetes, the regulating gene could be target for drugs to treat such illnesses.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20110515/lf_nm_life/us_obesity_genes

/thread

Reaction score
Your fancy Yahoo science article doesn't say anything about genetics making people fat, it's just talking about how a gene can be linked to obesity related illnesses. The fact remains that 99% of people who are overweight are overweight because they eat too much or don't exercise enough.

If you have friends who seem to be able to eat more and not gain weight, they're probably just either more active on a daily basis than you, or they have more muscle mass and thus a higher BMR. If you really think that an average man could eat like 1500 calories a day and still be fat over the long term, you're just plain ignorant.

I always tell people, come get locked in a room where you can't eat and have to exercise and eat what a scientist tells you to, and we'll see how much your genetics hold you back. :laugh2:

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Joshmvii;3950562 said:
Your fancy Yahoo science article doesn't say anything about genetics making people fat, it's just talking about how a gene can be linked to obesity related illnesses. The fact remains that 99% of people who are overweight are overweight because they eat too much or don't exercise enough.
O RLY?

In a report of their study, the researchers explained that other genes found to be controlled by KLF14 are linked to a range of metabolic traits, including body mass index, obesity, cholesterol, insulin and glucose levels.
Learn to read.

If you have friends who seem to be able to eat more and not gain weight, they're probably just either more active on a daily basis than you, or they have more muscle mass and thus a higher BMR. If you really think that an average man could eat like 1500 calories a day and still be fat over the long term, you're just plain ignorant.
With statements like this, you've completely discredited yourself in this entire discussion. Congratulations.

MetalHead

Benched
Reaction score
Joshmvii;3950562 said:

If
you have friends who seem to be able to eat more and not gain weight, they're probably just either more active on a daily basis than you, or they have more muscle mass and thus a higher BMR. If you really think that an average man could eat like 1500 calories a day and still be fat over the long term, you're just plain ignorant.

I always tell people, come get locked in a room where you can't eat and have to exercise and eat what a scientist tells you to, and we'll see how much your genetics hold you back. :laugh2:

Bolded is the single word that torpedoes your whole argument.

locked&loaded

Reaction score
MetalHead;3950491 said:
So genetics don't matter.
Some people who I know can eat a truck load full of food and gain nothing,while others,barely breathe and put on weight.
Is that magic?...and don't try to clean up your 12% mess.You meant it.
It is understood that diet and working out help lose weight.
Subjecting oneself to a strict diet and excercise regime is not really living.
To impress who?
To lower insurance costs?
You call that life?....no man,that's no way to live.
I would buy the argument that you don't wanna be fat,but your reasons for personal fitness do not come from your inner being.They come from your wallet.

You know youre fat if you need to eat a ton of greasy foods to have a "life," or to live "life."

It is like people in this thread honestly dont believe that eating less, and better will help them lose weight.

MetalHead

Benched
Reaction score
locked&loaded;3950578 said:
You know youre fat if you need to eat a ton of greasy foods to have a "life," or to live "life."

It is like people in this thread honestly dont believe that eating less, and better will help them lose weight.

Wrong on that account.
This whole thing is not about fat,nor chocolate milk.
It is about freedom of choice.

locked&loaded

Reaction score
MetalHead;3950585 said:
Wrong on that account.
This whole thing is not about fat,nor chocolate milk.
It is about freedom of choice.

If they choose to be fat, the rest of our country affected by it should be able to choose to apply a fat tax.

MetalHead

Benched
Reaction score
locked&loaded;3950594 said:
If they choose to be fat, the rest of our country affected by it should be able to choose to apply a fat tax.

Spoken like a true herd mentality member.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
locked&loaded;3950594 said:
That's the most ridiculous thing I've heard today. I don't even know where to begin.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
peplaw06;3950660 said:
That's the most ridiculous thing I've heard today. I don't even know where to begin.

It's a common talking point nowadays.

locked&loaded

Reaction score
peplaw06;3950660 said:

Do you think its right for companies to do health tests on employees and give them walking odometers

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
I want to impose a tax on all the people that choose to drive like idiots.

locked&loaded

Reaction score
theogt;3950685 said:
I want to impose a tax on all the people that choose to drive like idiots.

Wouldn't you say their insurance goes up, if they drive like idiots?

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
locked&loaded;3950684 said:
Do you think its right for companies to do health tests on employees and give them walking odometers
If the insurance company wants to do those things, more power to em. You have the right to seek another insurance carrier if you don't like it.

But this "tax everything" mentality is just crazy. You can hardly walk out the door without being taxed for something. Now you want to tax people for sitting on their couch and doing nothing?

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
peplaw06;3950897 said:
If the insurance company wants to do those things, more power to em. You have the right to seek another insurance carrier if you don't like it.

But this "tax everything" mentality is just crazy. You can hardly walk out the door without being taxed for something. Now you want to tax people for sitting on their couch and doing nothing?

They are going to tax complaining about tax. :muttley:

MetalHead

Benched
Reaction score
locked&loaded;3950689 said:
Speaking of herds, that was spoken like a true fat person

Is that something I should be ashamed of?
Should Larry Allen be ashamed too?

Get a clue.