Schoonmaker out of OTAs with hamstring injury

MikeT22

Reaction score
It's mind boggling unbearable.,
What’s more mind-boggling is using a 2nd on a TE when we already had Witten in his prime. If you want a blocking TE or #2 TE you can find them in the 4th or later.

But we took Fasano with a 2nd then a couple years later traded him, only to draft another TE in the 2nd.

Now we have Jake, but we then take Schoon in the 2nd. So not only can we not properly evaluate college prospects but we couldn’t even properly evaluate a guy who was already on our roster.

The only time it was justified trying to find a starting TE that early was when we took Escobar, but we whiffed on him too.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So many couch GM's on here. We would be 0-17 every year under them. But hey, at least the get the top pick every year. For them not to keep them.

I wonder if they made the draft pick, what would they do when they get criticized. Same for FA players.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
I am not sticking up for the front office here at all.

But to be 100 percent fair, when they drafted Schoonmaker they had no idea Jake Ferguson would be Jake Ferguson. He was coming off a 17 catch rookie season. A year ago at this time nobody knew he would flip that number to 71.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What’s more mind-boggling is using a 2nd on a TE when we already had Witten in his prime. If you want a blocking TE or #2 TE you can find them in the 4th or later.

But we took Fasano with a 2nd then a couple years later traded him, only to draft another TE in the 2nd.

Now we have Jake, but we then take Schoon in the 2nd. So not only can we not properly evaluate college prospects but we couldn’t even properly evaluate a guy who was already on our roster.

The only time it was justified trying to find a starting TE that early was when we took Escobar, but we whiffed on him too.
Thank you for making it worse than i thought. :)

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

But to be 100 percent fair, when they drafted Schoonmaker they had no idea Jake Ferguson would be Jake Ferguson. He was coming off a 17 catch rookie season. A year ago at this time nobody knew he would flip that number to 71.
Its not just that pick but sevral before it. Crazy m.o.

CashMan

Reaction score

I see drafting TEs in the 2nd round starting to become a fetish... The bigger issue seems to be, drafting BLOCKING TEs in the 2nd. Who does that?!? Such a waste of resources.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Vastly but next to the two idiots he looks like a guru.

How embarrassing is it that in the post draft press conference our GM or his director of player personnel can't break down the players selected? They need their chief assistant to do it for them.
^ This

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I see drafting TEs in the 2nd round starting to become a fetish... The bigger issue seems to be, drafting BLOCKING TEs in the 2nd. Who does that?!? Such a waste of resources.
I think you are implying that Schoon is just a blocking TE and that is far from the truth.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score

It’s the “they had no idea” part I think concerns fans.

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
So many couch GM's on here. We would be 0-17 every year under them. But hey, at least the get the top pick every year. For them not to keep them.

I wonder if they made the draft pick, what would they do when they get criticized. Same for FA players.
Hindsight is 20/20 and whiners are going to whine but, to be fair, there are a few keen football minds on this sight.

Like every team, the Cowboys have had their share of head-scratching FA and draft moves.

IceStar-D7

Reaction score
Schoon gonna have a hard time making the team in my opinion. At best I have him as the 4th best tightend on the team. Maybe 5th.....

krs1bro

Reaction score
Ahh....the vaunted 2nd round draft pick that we absolutely didn't need. Thx JJ's!

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Could you flesh that out a little?

Was it the 8 catches?

The 50% catch rate?
Oh so his very late 2nd round rookie season coming out of a non-pro offense in college and he was so hurt that he shouldn't have been on the field but fought through it anyway didn't live up to JWit's TE standard means he is a blocking TE? Gotcha.

Even in the best case scenario, he was far enough down the food chain that there were only going to be limited targets coming his way.