Schultz has earned TE1

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I would rather then trade down and get more picks....my question is if we add Pitts, how many more points does that translate to on offense? vs. having two defensive players added.

Adding 2 defensive players vs drafting Pitts isn’t going to do any good if the 2 players end up being average players. Any player we can add that will translate into points on offense will help some in overcoming our defense. Drafting Lamb not only equated into points but at least two wins last season. No way do we beat Atlanta without his catch and run in the closing minutes. Most of the great players we’ve drafted under Jerry we either stood pat to get them or we traded up. Trading down hasn’t worked well for us. You’re just reducing your odds on ending up with a good player.

Higher picks improve your odds which is why Philly chose to lose on Sunday night for a higher pick. Washington made the playoffs because of their defense, primarily their two defensive studs on the DL. We desperately need good players on defense but we can’t force picks defensively to try and fill needs or we’ll continue drafting average players on that side of the ball.

starman22

Reaction score
Yep and I don't really want targets taken away from Gallop, Lamb or Cooper.

Jarwin can be a deeper threat and that is fine to mix it up sometimes.

I don't know what kind of consistency Shultz has as a blocker but he did screw up the block on one of CeeDees bubble screens however - that could improve.

The defender made a very nice play on that one. If Shultz makes that block when he could he most likely gets called for a pick, or blocking before the ball was caught.

CWR

Reaction score
Him and Jarwin can get the job done. Use your resources where they are more badly needed

Batman1980

Reaction score
Schultz is the TE1 who can catch and block. Jarwin is the TE2 who's shaky at blocking but better at getting down the field. I think we need to rework Jarwin's contract because I'm not taking our top 3 receivers or Schultz off the field for him on most plays.

DCreppinBoysfan

Reaction score
Blake jarwin has never produced a season as productive as Schultz did this year. That’s telling. IMO he should have to compete for the top spot but he’s definitely in the driver seat. I just believe in competition

8FOR!3

Reaction score
Meh, bring in competition and let him earn it again. No freebies based on this season.....

He's got all the competition he needs in Jarwin. Add to the fact that Blake Bell has been productive in limited opportunities and I think the TE position is set. It'd be a plus if McKeon can play.

Batman1980

Reaction score
Blake jarwin has never produced a season as productive as Schultz did this year. That’s telling. IMO he should have to compete for the top spot but he’s definitely in the driver seat. I just believe in competition

I mean there's a reason Schultz was a 4th round pick and Jarwin was undrafted. Jarwin has nice athleticism but Schultz is the bettter all-around player.

Kwyn

Reaction score
One of the biggest bright spots this season was the emergence of Dalton Schultz, who has proven to be a formidable TE and of starter quality. No reason to waste a top draft pick on a TE, give Schultz the offseason to improve even further and we got ourselves a reliable TE.
He’s just a guy. Middle of the road tight end.
You have to have one. He is one. Guess it worked out ok

nothing to get excited about

Loso86

Reaction score
One of the biggest bright spots this season was the emergence of Dalton Schultz, who has proven to be a formidable TE and of starter quality. No reason to waste a top draft pick on a TE, give Schultz the offseason to improve even further and we got ourselves a reliable TE.
Umm

kskboys

Reaction score
Adding 2 defensive players vs drafting Pitts isn’t going to do any good if the 2 players end up being average players. Any player we can add that will translate into points on offense will help some in overcoming our defense. Drafting Lamb not only equated into points but at least two wins last season. No way do we beat Atlanta without his catch and run in the closing minutes. Most of the great players we’ve drafted under Jerry we either stood pat to get them or we traded up. Trading down hasn’t worked well for us. You’re just reducing your odds on ending up with a good player.

Higher picks improve your odds which is why Philly chose to lose on Sunday night for a higher pick. Washington made the playoffs because of their defense, primarily their two defensive studs on the DL. We desperately need good players on defense but we can’t force picks defensively to try and fill needs or we’ll continue drafting average players on that side of the ball.
It really won't.

stiletto

Reaction score
Schultz was def a bright spot and anyone thinking we should take Pitts with our pick is a nutjob. Better to trade it for more picks or down to fix our future defense reformation which is unbelievably needed. Pitts would be a luxury that would win us exactly NOTHING..

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
Schultz is better than Jarwin and it's not close.
Finally, one of the few talking straight sense.

No fancy highlight reel plays? Who cares. Schultz has done the job and done it well. Now waste the #10 pick on a TE?

That is as insane as the people who wanted to trade Romo for Brady Quinn.

We have needs at nearly every position besides WR, TE, RB. Only someone playing Madden would pick one of the three at #10.

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
You can let them compete, but *on the field*, Jarwin has just been better. And it's not close.

Jarwin 2019 - QB rating 126.6, YPT 8.5
Schultz 2020 - QB rating 95.5, YPT 6.9

Schultz really hasn't been that great. He's been ok. 6.9 YPT is pretty meh.
Jarwin has been *good*.

And Jarwin with teams having to worry about Lamb? That's one easy row to hoe for Jarwin.
How many catches? How many downs played?

Those are cherry-picked stats.

95.5 is great for a TE in his first year starting. Natural progression puts him at 105 - 110, and top 5 in the league....

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
Either take a cornerstone player at 10 or drop further in the round and gather more picks.
I like the trade down strategy from #10 depending who is on the board and what we can get, but we should easily pick up a 2nd if we drop to 20 or so.

We have about 15 holes on this roster. WR, TE, RB are the only spots we don't have holes.

QB still needs to be signed.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
How many catches? How many downs played?

Those are cherry-picked stats.

95.5 is great for a TE in his first year starting. Natural progression puts him at 105 - 110, and top 5 in the league....

Both of their last full season stats can hardly be called "cherry picked".

Schultz started 7 games in 2018. 89.3. 2 years later, his "natural progression" upped that to 95.5.

Jarwin was 104.7 in his first year with starts in 2018.

Apples to Apples, both guys on the same team, getting their first starts in 2018. Schultz 89.3, Jarwin 104.7.

That's why they went with Jarwin over Schultz in 2019.

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
Both of their last full season stats can hardly be called "cherry picked".

Schultz started 7 games in 2018. 89.3. 2 years later, his "natural progression" upped that to 95.5.

Jarwin was 104.7 in his first year with starts in 2018.

Apples to Apples, both guys on the same team, getting their first starts in 2018. Schultz 89.3, Jarwin 104.7.

That's why they went with Jarwin over Schultz in 2019.
and Jarwin's career stats = Schultz in 1 season.

We have both. Schultz is a legit player and drafting Pitts is a clown move. Though I'd bet you Schultz outperforms Jarwin next season.

kskboys

Reaction score
schultz is a better blocker....and he is a better route runner. Jarwin is defintley more athletic and faster....Schultz is a chain mover, gets you those underneath stuff, make the tough catch and gets some YAC and gets first downs...a security blanket of sorts...Jarwin is more of a down field threat specially up the middle, as he is not really that good on the sidelines....these two complement each other specially for 2 TE sets.
Kids today have no comprehension of what a chain mover is and what value he has to an O.