Schultz to Texans for 1 year 9 million

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
They are plenty capable, and showed that multiple times last season. We will be fine at TE.
Although Ferguson and Hendershot showed potential the jury is still out on both. They combined for 30 catches for just under 300 yards and four TDs. They certainly showed potential, but both have a long way to go. Look at what Travis Kelce is doing in KC and Kittle in San Francisco. We need a big-time player at that position. The Cowboys have been blessed with great TE’s over the years. It would be a little risky going into next season with a couple of young unproven TE’s. I would cover ourselves with a veteran that way we can continue to work the young TE’s in. As the season progresses one of them might be able to take over.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
What a loser this guy is. Good riddance you punk.
Why? What did he do? He was a 4th round pick. He worked hard. Improved. Became a top 10 TE. Played under franchise tag.

Now he is a punk? What in the heck? I don't get the hate. He wanted too much money. We didn't offer. He moved on.

We drafted a replacement last year, let's hope he is better.

Praxit

Reaction score
..after Texans go 8-9. He'll miss the days of at least getting to playoffs.. lol..

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
He must have really wanted out of Dallas to settle on a one-year deal with the Texans for $9M and pass up a three-year deal $36M with the Cowboys.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
They never offered him a contract
Most of the NFL tight end "experts" here seem to have the opinion that he's not worth the $9 million, that his leaving is no big deal or that he's dumb for turning down (allegedly) more from Jerry.

But first of all there are several other NFL tight ends with similar or less stats that make like $7 or $8 mil, so $9 isn't that much more. Second, with his leaving Dallas has only unproven young guys to fill his spot, there is no guarantee Ferguson or Hendershot or some rookie or some FA can do as well as Schultz. Losing a veteran with no proven backup ready to step into his spot is always risky.
Third, as far as blocking goes, today's tight ends aren't asked to block as much as years ago, receiving is their value, and Schultz has some skill at that. The Texans may not even ask him to block very much, which makes his shortcoming in that area not as much a liability as it could be.

Will at least be interesting to see what happens to him in the next few years....

Wangchung83

Reaction score
Although Ferguson and Hendershot showed potential the jury is still out on both. They combined for 30 catches for just under 300 yards and four TDs. They certainly showed potential, but both have a long way to go. Look at what Travis Kelce is doing in KC and Kittle in San Francisco. We need a big-time player at that position. The Cowboys have been blessed with great TE’s over the years. It would be a little risky going into next season with a couple of young unproven TE’s. I would cover ourselves with a veteran that way we can continue to work the young TE’s in. As the season progresses, one of them might be able to take over.
Really doesn’t matter when you look at our QB, Kelsey has mahomes, kittle had garroppolo who by the way only cost the raiders 22.5/yr. Dak can’t have nice things bc he took a team strapped contract and needs to elevate what he get around him. Dak is the guy that has to pull his own weight and that means he needs to become something we all know he’s not. Regardless, Schultz isn’t in Kelce or Kittle territory, only bc dak can’t throw to anyone else and is dink and dunk so stats are inflated due to QB over targeting

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
He must have really wanted out of Dallas to settle on a one-year deal with the Texans for $9M and pass up a three-year deal $36M with the Cowboys.
If he did, I'd have to hear that from Schultz and the Cowboys directly, might just be a rumor. And we may never know for sure....

Walker

Texas Ranger
Reaction score
Not going to be easily replaced. Knows the system really well, and performs really well in it. However, he is not worth what he probably thinks. He should have taken the deal last year. Looks like TE is going to be a high priority this coming draft. I heard there will be some good ones, hopefully one falls to us.

conner01

Reaction score
Cause he refused sign fair contract all last year - guy thinks he’s top te
He wanted more money. When a team doesn’t offer a player it’s because it’s a business. We cut Zeke because it was smart business. It’s a business to players too. I don’t blame a guy for wanting all they can get on the first contract they get to negotiate
It’s a business

conner01

Reaction score
That was the offer last summer. Offer was pulled before training camp.
And the total money doesn’t mean much. How much was guaranteed is what matter
You can sign a guy to a two year 20 mil contract and he not get half of it if he’s cut after year one

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Really doesn’t matter when you look at our QB, Kelsey has mahomes, kittle had garroppolo who by the way only cost the raiders 22.5/yr. Dak can’t have nice things bc he took a team strapped contract and needs to elevate what he get around him. Dak is the guy that has to pull his own weight and that means he needs to become something we all know he’s not. Regardless, Schultz isn’t in Kelce or Kittle territory, only bc dak can’t throw to anyone else and is dink and dunk so stats are inflated due to QB over targeting
Our QB is better than most can’t understand why some of you can’t see that. You might want to look around the league. Everyone knows Schultz isn’t Kelce or Kittle but he was a solid, reliable TE which is why the Cowboys made him an offer.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
If he did, I'd have to hear that from Schultz and the Cowboys directly, might just be a rumor. And we may never know for sure....
It’s been reported everywhere that the Cowboys offered him $36 million over three years but he opted for a one year $9 million deal with the Texans. Either he wanted out of Dallas or he’s willing to bank on himself that he can get a lot more than what the Cowboys offered after next season. With their QB situation he’s taking a big gamble. He wasn’t producing at all when Cooper Rush was at QB. He was a security blanket for Dak, and they had chemistry.

ghst187

Reaction score
I'd really like to know what Dallas offered him.
Yeah, i ain’t mad at him. Dak will miss him, they had some chemistry. I don’t suspect he will do much elsewhere. I am surprised, not at the amount but the length of the contract. His market must’ve been sparse because one would assume he would be trying to get some longer term financial security. One year?!?
Isn’t 9m less than he made last year?

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Why? What did he do? He was a 4th round pick. He worked hard. Improved. Became a top 10 TE. Played under franchise tag.

Now he is a punk? What in the heck? I don't get the hate. He wanted too much money. We didn't offer. He moved on.

We drafted a replacement last year, let's hope he is better.

And there are a few more TEs that we can get this draft if we wanted to do so. Dalton Kincade or Kuntz would be two options.