CFZ Scouting the Commanders

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
In this crazy, roller coaster 2023 season, the Cowboys have the chance to sew up their 26th NFC East division crown and the #2 seed in the NFC Sunday in Washington.

While some fans are expecting a cake-walk, the Cowboys should prepare for this game as if the playoffs have begun. Not because I think this Wash team is a quiet juggernaut, but because the NFL has proven time and again that the least expected result can happen. This isn’t college football where the talent margins are huge.

With that said, the Cowboys are clearly the better team. But they have to prove it Sunday.
Here are some points about the Washington team.

GENERAL FACTS
  • They are 4-12 after starting 2-0.
  • Amazingly, the commanders are only 1-7 at home, 3-5 on the road.
  • The commanders rarely get blown out. Despite losing 12 games, in 9 of the commanders losses, it was a one score loss.
  • The commanders have had their share of injuries. They currently have 16 players on injured reserve (Dallas has 9). Seven commanders players have been placed on IR just in December.
  • The commanders only avg 20 points per game on offense, while averaging giving up 30 ppg. In 3 of their 12 losses, they got blown out.
  • Not surprisingly, the commanders are dead last in turnover differential at -12.
OFFENSE
  • Ron Rivera won’t say who will start Sun at QB. It will be either Sam Howell or Jacoby Brissett. I think it will be Howell because Brissett has been banged up lately.
  • QB Sam Howell has been Dr. Jeckel/Mr. Hyde. He threw for 300 yards against us on Thanksgiving but that included a Deron Bland pick 6 and no TDs. He can be a good passer at times. He has 20 TDs but also 19 pics. He’s a young QB who takes a lot of risks.
  • Wash averages only 321 yds per game on offense; 224 passing, 97 rushing.
  • RB Brian Robinson is their leading rusher with 706 yds and WR Terry McLaurin leads the team with 73 receptions for 946 yds and 4TDs. Neither are great but they are decent.
DEFENSE
  • The commanders actually have more talent on D, but it hasn’t translated yet to much success.
  • The commanders defense is the worst in the league in total yards given up at 386 ypg. They are especially vulnerable in the passing game, giving up 259 ypg.
  • Safety Kamren Curl has 115 tackles and can hit hard. But it can be bad when a S is your leading tackler.

KEYS TO THE GAME
  • Score FIRST! The Cowboys are 9-0 when they score first, and are 2-5 when the opponent scores first. Bad teams tend to quit early if you jump on them at the outset. An early Cowboys lead can deflate them in the first half.
  • Wash is a turnover machine, especially when behind. Get up early, get after them defensively, then get the ball.
  • The Wash secondary has been very vulnerable of late. I expect us to carve them up early.
Bottom Line- the numbers show the commanders are a bad team - on both sides of the ball. But they are young, and they do play hard for their coaches as evidenced by so many close games. Get up on these guys early and put the pressure on!

Let‘s go get the division and the #2 seed!

Last edited:

JayFord

Reaction score
I live in the area and know the team well

they're bad in just about every phase of the game....the beginning/middle of the year they were below average to average and at one time were 4-5 since then though make no mistake theyve been the worst team ive ever seen

theyre defense may actually be worst than our 2020 defense

not saying they cant win sunday because they can, but if dallas brings their best and washington brings their best this game is over by halftime

theyre bad, like really bad

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
Small correction: the Washington team is 4-12 on the road. They don’t really have a home field since the opposition fans normally outnumber their own.
Hey hey hey, I speak for everyone on here, don't EVER correct Haze, he's the top poster in Coog's eyes, he can do no wrong!!!!!! Watch it pal!!! :cool: , haze you're amazing!!!

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I live in the area and know the team well

they're bad in just about every phase of the game....the beginning/middle of the year they were below average to average and at one time were 4-5 since then though make no mistake theyve been the worst team ive ever seen

theyre defense may actually be worst than our 2020 defense

not saying they cant win sunday because they can, but if dallas brings their best and washington brings their best this game is over by halftime

theyre bad, like really bad
I see no scenario where they can win. I’d feel a little different if Sam Howell played because who knows what you could get from him. I don’t think they even have any intent on winning.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
In this crazy, roller coaster 2023 season, the Cowboys have the chance to sew up their 26th NFC East division crown and the #2 seed in the NFC Sunday in Washington.

While some fans are expecting a cake-walk, the Cowboys should prepare for this game as if the playoffs have begun. Not because I think this Wash team is a quiet juggernaut, but because the NFL has proven time and again that the least expected result can happen. This isn’t college football where the talent margins are huge.

With that said, the Cowboys are clearly the better team. But they have to prove it Sunday.

GENERAL FACTS
  • The commanders rarely get blown out. Despite losing 12 games, in 9 of the commanders losses, it was a one score loss.
  • The commanders have had their share of injuries. They currently have 16 players on injured reserve (Dallas has 9). Seven commanders players have been placed on IR just in December.
  • The commanders only avg 20 points per game on offense, while averaging giving up 30 ppg. In 3 of their 12 losses, they got blown out.
  • Not surprisingly, the commanders are dead last in turnover differential at -12.
OFFENSE
  • Ron Rivera won’t say who will start Sun at QB. It will be either Sam Howell or Jacoby Brissett. I think it will be Howell because Brissett has been banged up lately.
  • QB Sam Howell has been Dr. Jeckel/Mr. Hyde. He threw for 300 yards against us on Thanksgiving but that included a Deron Bland pick 6 and no TDs. He can be a good passer at times. He has 20 TDs but also 19 pics. He’s a young QB who takes a lot of risks.
  • RB Brian Robinson is their leading rusher with 706 yds and WR Terry McLaurin leads the team with 73 receptions for 946 yds and 4TDs. Neither are great but they are decent.
DEFENSE
  • The commanders actually have more talent on D, but it hasn’t translated yet to much success.
  • The commanders defense is the worst in the league in total yards given up at 386 ypg. They are especially vulnerable in the passing game, giving up 259 ypg.
  • Safety Kamren Curl has 115 tackles and can hit hard. But it can be bad when a S is your leading tackler.

KEYS TO THE GAME
  • Score FIRST! The Cowboys are 9-0 when they score first, and are 2-5 when the opponent scores first. Bad teams tend to quit early if you jump on them at the outset. An early Cowboys lead can deflate them in the first half.
  • Wash is a turnover machine, especially when behind. Get up early, get after them defensively, then get the ball.
  • The Wash secondary has been very vulnerable of late. I expect us to carve them up early.
Bottom Line- the numbers show the commanders are a bad team - on both sides of the ball. But they are young, and they do play hard for their coaches as evidenced by so many close games. Get up on these guys early and put the pressure on!

I agree Haze, that this is NOT a college team, we're Bama, playing against coastal carolina or something, anything can happen. We need to play hard, and take this style of play that we KNOW we can play, into the playoffs, and go get what's ours!!!!!! TIred of the games, let's get this trophy!!!!

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score

GENERAL FACTS
OFFENSE
DEFENSE
  • DE Montez Sweat is talented and leads them in sacks, but with only 6.5.

KEYS TO THE GAME

Excellent analysis. I would add that the Commanders have nothing to lose. They're already out of the playoff hunt, so they might as well throw in everything but the kitchen sink to find an upset. They can afford to be aggressive and use trick plays because it's not like they're risking missing the playoffs. They might as well go all out. For them a victory over the Cowboys would be a sweet end to an otherwise terrible season.
But the Cowboys are a better team. They just need to take the Commanders as seriously as anyone and show up with a great game plan.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
It was a dumb mistake from me Coogs. I had forgotten that Sweat was traded. I always appreciate the corrections!
Sorry about that haze, but I get a little protective when it comes to you, my apologies!!!

JayFord

Reaction score
I see no scenario where they can win. I’d feel a little different if Sam Howell played because who knows what you could get from him. I don’t think they even have any intent on winning.
I think they'll want to win simply because "its dallas and atleast we beat them"

but then again Ron Knows hes fired and players know they wont come back next year so they may not try

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
Excellent analysis. I would add that the Commanders have nothing to lose. They're already out of the playoff hunt, so they might as well throw in everything but the kitchen sink to find an upset. They can afford to be aggressive and use trick plays because it's not like they're risking missing the playoffs. They might as well go all out. For them a victory over the Cowboys would be a sweet end to an otherwise terrible season.
But the Cowboys are a better team. They just need to take the Commanders as seriously as anyone and show up with a great game plan.
Run trick plays all game, please!!! It encourages us to think and stop them, which we need!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
He threw for 300 last game right? Hell he might do it again in a win

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I think they'll want to win simply because "its dallas and atleast we beat them"

but then again Ron Knows hes fired and players know they wont come back next year so they may not try
It’s possible but how stupid can they be to lose the 2nd overall pick? Especially when Bears are thinking of trading down? I’m not a fan of tanking and Ron is old school he’d never tank but I don’t see them playing guys high snap counts.