CFZ Scouting the Commanders

Rowdy1

Reaction score
We have the opportunity to win the division. MM and DQ will have the team ready to roll.

Washington will come out swinging but when they fall behind, their minds will drift to vacations and visualizing their golf swings. The FO will want that #2 pick in April as well.

Dallas pulls away in the 3rd quarter and wins easy.

Dallas 30
Wash 13
After all the drama from Saturday I hope we beat them convincingly so we can quit hearing all this mess about 68 not reporting. Blah blah. Talk about beating a dead horse.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I really hate this team name and the new uniforms. It was such a storied franchise with great history and tradition. It’s no longer the cowboys - skins rivalry. They should have named the team the Hogs or maybe chosen a specific Indian tribe so they could continue the logo to have some connection to their past. They just nuked the whole franchise. I miss hating them.

blueblood70

Reaction score
In this crazy, roller coaster 2023 season, the Cowboys have the chance to sew up their 26th NFC East division crown and the #2 seed in the NFC Sunday in Washington.

While some fans are expecting a cake-walk, the Cowboys should prepare for this game as if the playoffs have begun. Not because I think this Wash team is a quiet juggernaut, but because the NFL has proven time and again that the least expected result can happen. This isn’t college football where the talent margins are huge.

With that said, the Cowboys are clearly the better team. But they have to prove it Sunday.
Here are some points about the Washington team.

GENERAL FACTS
  • They are 4-12 after starting 2-0.
  • Amazingly, the commanders are only 1-7 at home, 3-5 on the road.
  • The commanders rarely get blown out. Despite losing 12 games, in 9 of the commanders losses, it was a one score loss.
  • The commanders have had their share of injuries. They currently have 16 players on injured reserve (Dallas has 9). Seven commanders players have been placed on IR just in December.
  • The commanders only avg 20 points per game on offense, while averaging giving up 30 ppg. In 3 of their 12 losses, they got blown out.
  • Not surprisingly, the commanders are dead last in turnover differential at -12.
OFFENSE
  • Ron Rivera won’t say who will start Sun at QB. It will be either Sam Howell or Jacoby Brissett. I think it will be Howell because Brissett has been banged up lately.
  • QB Sam Howell has been Dr. Jeckel/Mr. Hyde. He threw for 300 yards against us on Thanksgiving but that included a Deron Bland pick 6 and no TDs. He can be a good passer at times. He has 20 TDs but also 19 pics. He’s a young QB who takes a lot of risks.
  • Wash averages only 321 yds per game on offense; 224 passing, 97 rushing.
  • RB Brian Robinson is their leading rusher with 706 yds and WR Terry McLaurin leads the team with 73 receptions for 946 yds and 4TDs. Neither are great but they are decent.
DEFENSE
  • The commanders actually have more talent on D, but it hasn’t translated yet to much success.
  • The commanders defense is the worst in the league in total yards given up at 386 ypg. They are especially vulnerable in the passing game, giving up 259 ypg.
  • Safety Kamren Curl has 115 tackles and can hit hard. But it can be bad when a S is your leading tackler.

KEYS TO THE GAME
  • Score FIRST! The Cowboys are 9-0 when they score first, and are 2-5 when the opponent scores first. Bad teams tend to quit early if you jump on them at the outset. An early Cowboys lead can deflate them in the first half.
  • Wash is a turnover machine, especially when behind. Get up early, get after them defensively, then get the ball.
  • The Wash secondary has been very vulnerable of late. I expect us to carve them up early.
Bottom Line- the numbers show the commanders are a bad team - on both sides of the ball. But they are young, and they do play hard for their coaches as evidenced by so many close games. Get up on these guys early and put the pressure on!

Let‘s go get the division and the #2 seed!
Oh, as always very good information,,

however from what I'm hearing is the Cowboys need this win more than Washington and in fact I'm not saying Washington's out to tank this game but it would be beneficial to them in the draft.

I mean big jump in draft spots if they lost this game as opposed to win, you get what I'm throwing down??

I mean it possibly will be a tank job ordered from above because this new regimes going to want the best draft pick they can get probably for a quarterback, so they're not playing to probably win this game after halftime if we're up. I don't think they're going to be fighting really hard. I'm not alleging you're gonna throw the game from the beginning but if it looks like we're already in the driver seat in the game they may fold up their tent and sit back and take it..lol

SlammedZero

Reaction score
I really hate this team name and the new uniforms. It was such a storied franchise with great history and tradition. It’s no longer the cowboys - skins rivalry. They should have named the team the Hogs or maybe chosen a specific Indian tribe so they could continue the logo to have some connection to their past. They just nuked the whole franchise. I miss hating them.
Agreed. Definitely doesn't feel the same, and, at very least get a decent name. The Commanders? That was your choice? lol

DCBoysfan

Hardwork and Dedication
Reaction score
I live in the area and know the team well

they're bad in just about every phase of the game....the beginning/middle of the year they were below average to average and at one time were 4-5 since then though make no mistake theyve been the worst team ive ever seen

theyre defense may actually be worst than our 2020 defense

not saying they cant win sunday because they can, but if dallas brings their best and washington brings their best this game is over by halftime

theyre bad, like really bad
I also stay in the DMV, and you are completely correct. It’s always any given Sun. but that is a bad team.

Dallas has to beat themselves to lose this game.

Verdict

Reaction score
If Washington wins this game they are monumentally stupid. Dropping from #2 pick down to #7 is a massive drop in draft capital (and it’s true in every other round as well).

Even if Washington doesn’t like a QB they could trade down for a King’s ransom in round one and still get a blue chip player in the process.

If they do that in 7 rounds they could really load up on picks and change the makeup of that team overnight.

Creeper

Reaction score
Since there is a strong rumor this will be Ron Rivera's last game coaching the Commanders, we should expect them to come out playing physically and emotionally to start the game. They beat us last year week 18 playing like that.

I will be shocked if they come out flat like they are playing for nothing.

The Cowboys better be ready for a buzz saw early. The Commanders are going to try to run the football at us. I also think they will pick on our secondary, particularly Bland. I think teams have figured him out now. There are certain routes he jumps and others where he gets burned.

This is really a no win situation for Dallas, in a way. They will be expected to win easily. If they don't you can only imagine what the naysayers will be doing tomorrow.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Since there is a strong rumor this will be Ron Rivera's last game coaching the Commanders, we should expect them to come out playing physically and emotionally to start the game. They beat us last year week 18 playing like that.

The Cowboys better be ready for a buzz saw early. The Commanders are going to try to run the football at us. I also think they will pick on our secondary, particularly Bland. I think teams have figured him out now. There are certain routes he jumps and others where he gets burned.

This is really a no win situation for Dallas, in a way. They will be expected to win easily. If they don't you can only imagine what the naysayers will be doing tomorrow.
I feel the same way. The Cowboys must match and exceed the commanders energy and fight to start the game. If we get up early they will probably fold early.

Last week against the niners they stayed very competitive until the 4th qtr.

32BellyOption

Reaction score

I would hope the Cowboys come out playing physically and emotionally since so much is on the line. The Cowboys can accomplish one of their goals today by winning the division. No excuses, time to show up and show out!

Blackrain

Reaction score
I don't want it easy, just for Dallas to play it's own game.
And what game is that

The one we play when we're home when we get up on opponents and unleash our pass rush create turnovers and blow them out.

Or the one we play on the road in bad weather when we can't run the ball we can't stop their running game get called for all kind of stupid pre-snap penalties and other stuff that isn't called all year along with sit and watch our premier pass rusher held all game.

Blackrain

Reaction score
I'm not counting my chickens and I hope the Cowboys haven't started counting there's either listening to all the talk that there's no reason why Washington would want to win because it affects their draft status.

I don't think the players care about their draft status they may not be on the team next year as they showed when they traded their two best pass rushers who knows the atmosphere in the locker room and how they feel about their coach and what they might want to do in his behalf in this game

What used to seem logical in the NFL has gone right out the window lately look no further than last week the coach let his emotions get away from him and lost the game for the Lions.

I mean do we think the front office told Ron Rivera to lose this game purposely and if he's going to lose his job anyway what does he care what they told him.

They're at home I see them coming out and trying to punch Us in the mouth we better learn how to counter punch because without home field advantage we're in a world of spit

CCBoy

Reaction score
And what game is that

The one we play when we're home when we get up on opponents and unleash our pass rush create turnovers and blow them out.

Or the one we play on the road in bad weather when we can't run the ball we can't stop their running game get called for all kind of stupid pre-snap penalties and other stuff that isn't called all year along with sit and watch our premier pass rusher held all game.
Pay attention some...their defense is very limited and without sacks. Dallas is a highly productive offensive with Daq and CJ probably walking off with NFC high production marks.

Blackrain

Reaction score
Pay attention some...their defense is very limited and without sacks. Dallas is a highly productive offensive with Daq and CJ probably walking off with NFC high production marks.
You may want to pay attention to how we play at home versus how we play on the road.

I would hope with Washington having nothing to play for and actually hurting their franchise draft wise if they win this game that we would run away with this but there are no guarantees.

You would think that all our skilled players could pile up a bunch of stats on this team whose coach will probably be fired after this game and need a loss to draft more talent since they traded away their best pass rushers.

That said we don't know what the atmosphere of their locker room is and how their players feel about rolling over and letting the Cowboys just stomp them for 3 hours they may want to play hard for their coach.
But it's a proven fact this season we have struggled on the road and we need this game to guarantee we have some home games and don't have to play all our games on the road

CCBoy

Reaction score
You may want to pay attention to how we play at home versus how we play on the road.

I would hope with Washington having nothing to play for and actually hurting their franchise draft wise if they win this game that we would run away with this but there are no guarantees.

You would think that all our skilled players could pile up a bunch of stats on this team whose coach will probably be fired after this game and need a loss to draft more talent since they traded away their best pass rushers.

That said we don't know what the atmosphere of their locker room is and how their players feel about rolling over and letting the Cowboys just stomp them for 3 hours they may want to play hard for their coach.
But it's a proven fact this season we have struggled on the road and we need this game to guarantee we have some home games and don't have to play all our games on the road
The field is in fine shape...no problem today but missing two guards.

Blackrain

Reaction score
The Commanders are a mess. Their roster is a shambles.
All true brother but our special teams has shot Us in the foot on the road already and now we've given up a touchdown and the score is tied

Just goes to show you it's still an NFL football team and even though they are a total mess if you're sloppy with the fundamentals of basic football and make stupid mistakes you're going to pay for it even to a far inferior team that has nothing to lose or play for.