1. Read the latest Dallas Cowboys news ..

News: SDFW: Dallas Cowboys: Stephen Jones is ruthless and the real villain

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Reality, Jul 24, 2020.

1. Reality

Reality Admin

23,418 Messages
    42,529 Likes Received
    Dallas Cowboys: Stephen Jones is ruthless and the real villain

[​IMG]

The Dallas Cowboys did not sign Dak Prescott to a long-term contract because of Stephen Jones' stubbornness. As expected with the Dallas Cowboys, they made...

Read Full Story

DJordan23, Bobhaze, Jake and 10 others like this.
  2. morat1959

morat1959 Well-Known Member

3,514 Messages
    3,205 Likes Received
    This will go down as one of the few bright spots during his tenure. This has MM written all over it. A true football mind can see Dak for what he is ...average!

aikemirv, dguinta1, KD and 33 others like this.
  3. Seven

Seven Messenger to the football Gods

17,510 Messages
    7,770 Likes Received
    :popcorn:

HowardC, daboyzruleperiod and GenoT like this.
  4. csirl

csirl Well-Known Member

2,505 Messages
    2,600 Likes Received
    PR rubbish from Daks agency.

5. Whyjerry

Whyjerry Well-Known Member

7,861 Messages
    12,726 Likes Received
    Anyone that has been paying attention will know Stephen will be worse than Jerry. He has all of Jerry’s arrogance without any of his charm. Plus he is cheap.

6. windward

windward NFL Historian

17,568 Messages
    3,516 Likes Received
    Yawn. Fans were mad about Jerry being too reckless. Fans are mad about Stephen being too cautious.

All it boils down to is that fans won’t be happy until there is another Super Bowl title. At least until the first quarter of the next game.

DJordan23, calico, EJK24 and 31 others like this.
  7. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

64,754 Messages
    73,686 Likes Received
    I have no doubt whatsoever that Stephen has bungled the Dak negotiations. Not that it is solely his fault, but he's certainly a big reason in getting us to this point.

If anyone has doubts, just look at how the last three big-money deals were handled with Cooper, Elliott, and Lawrence:
    1. Cooper was paid at the top of the receiver market because the team had no choice at that point after investing a 1st round pick in the guy without an extension worked out.
    2. Elliott was overpaid - and two years before he was due. Setting the top of the market for the running back position, that few, if any successful teams pay.
    3. Lawrence was tagged when defensive end contracts were reasonable and they exploded in the meantime with the Mack and Donald deals, and then Lawrence got his deal, for much more money than if they had just done it in the first place!
    On any other team, the contract negotiator would have lost his job, but when your last name is Jones and you have a job for life, you can bungle things as badly as possible, with zero consequences.

JBond, IrishAnto, tm1119 and 13 others like this.
  8. John813

John813 Well-Known Member

14,525 Messages
    19,491 Likes Received
    Stephen you should have thought about that before paying Pro Bowl running back Ezekiel Elliott to a massive $90 million- six year contract extension last season.

Let’s be mindful that Zeke had two years remaining on his contract.

Although Zeke is one of the best running backs in the league, how do you give Zeke his money when he plays one of the most replaceable positions in football?

Ok.

It’s true Stephen offered Murray a low contract because they fed Murray twice as many carries as he had since he joined the league, but Murray was worth it and still had some gas in the tank at the age of 27. Stephen didn’t think he was worth his asking price and let him walk.

So, which is it?

And, by extending Zeke early, which they didn't care for but took advantage of, his cap hits would be not near 15mil a year until the very end when if his play dips he's an easy cut. People need to stop looking at total money cause very rarely will any player actually get all their salary from extensions.

Dallas signed him cause they found a way to make his contract flexible early and often-s long as he plays well. They also signed Smith to a team friendly team and struck early gold getting Collins locked up.

Blame goes on both sides, but there is no villain and victim among both sides.

INCowboysFan, HanD, GoJacks and 7 others like this.
  9. Jake

Jake Curmudgeon

20,410 Messages
    38,332 Likes Received
    Yeah, but it's hard to argue with the Cowboys on-field success during Stephen's tenure. :muttley:

It's almost as if he's never worked for an NFL team that wasn't owned by his father, or something.

BBGTYCOON, IrishAnto, BAT and 5 others like this.
  10. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Backwoods Sexy Admin

73,669 Messages
    29,092 Likes Received
    His villain name is....Evil Jowls.

11. Zekeats

Zekeats theranchsucks

7,395 Messages
    7,955 Likes Received
    Good. The only thing he shoulda gotten done sooner was firing Garrett 5 yrs ago

Boom, BBGTYCOON, DJordan23 and 6 others like this.
  12. rags747

rags747 Well-Known Member

4,773 Messages
    4,373 Likes Received
    I’m thinking that writer still lives in his parents basement, pretty embarrassing. So much outrage at Ruthless Stephen Jones. This is what our colleges are turning out boys and girls, real soy boys.

13. ninja

ninja Numbnuts

9,125 Messages
    4,048 Likes Received
    Murray was not worth what the Eagles paid.
    Byron Jones was not worth what the Dolphins paid.
    Dak is not worth more than $30M/year in my opinion.

Stephen was right on Murray. We will soon learn on Jones and Dak if there is a season.

14. quickccc

quickccc Well-Known Member

4,571 Messages
    3,746 Likes Received
    Surprisingly what many in Cowboys Nation still do not realize is that the face and direction of the Cowboys organization
    is changing and its' really a new sheriff is in town.
    In terms of how Team (and NFL league) is being marketed, advertising, plans and events, invested and building structures,
    Television negotiations and revue is concern, Jerry is still da the leading man, ..there has never been a bigger marketeer, contributor
    or business innovator than Jerry in the history of the NFL, imo.

In terms of how the cowboys nowadays is being structured in direction of coaching,..player personnel, trades, free agency, draft, cap structure
    Stephen is now leading the charge. ,, not Jerry.
    Oh don't get me wrong, Jerry is still involved, but all points to Jerry surprisingly allowing his son to lead the direction at this point,..vs the days where Jerry was taking us.

stasheroo likes this.
  15. stasheroo

64,754 Messages
    73,686 Likes Received
    How about Lawrence and Elliott?

16. Clove

Clove Shrinkage

54,282 Messages
    18,493 Likes Received
    I don't mind ruthlessness or hard-nosed negotiations, but it's the lack of intellectual moves I'm concerned with. If you're going to be tough, at least be smart.

IrishAnto, KeepinTime, BAT and 7 others like this.
  17. stasheroo

64,754 Messages
    73,686 Likes Received
    I agree.

I'm just not sure that I like everywhere that the son is 'leading' us.

Some things I like, as in not growing too attached to people not earning their money. Jerry would often be overly loyal where Stephen appears less so.

But in terms of negotiating some of these contracts? He looks just as bad as Jerry did on some of 'em.

It's a mixed bag for me.

Rogerthat12 and BAT like this.
  18. starfan1

starfan1 Well-Known Member

2,796 Messages
    2,506 Likes Received
    Too bad he didn’t do the same with zeke and DLaw

aria and stasheroo like this.
  19. Bullflop

Bullflop Well-Known Member

17,311 Messages
    21,152 Likes Received
    I really hope the Cowboys FO realizes that it's up to them to make their relations with their QBs is one that listens and understands just what it takes to negotiate in good faith. Of course, the same holds true for the players.

I don't know, firsthand, who's to blame for their failure, but as a fan, I'd like nothing better than to see a deal being made that offers a likelihood for having a successful team. Too much to ask? Certainly not. I think Jerry, Stephen and Todd France all need to get a handle on sound negotiating, in general.

The hardball approach isn't one that, obviously, has appealed to either side. That's perfectly clear by now. More willingness to compromise would likely be advisable in the future, by the looks of things.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2020
    IrishAnto, Fastpitch Dad and VACowboy like this.
  20. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

35,613 Messages
    7,234 Likes Received
    He's not perfect, but he's also probably the only reason the Redheaded Boat Anchor isn't still here.

Let's give his personnel a chance with a real coach -- who he probably had the biggest hand in hiring -- before we judge him too much.