News: SDFW: Dallas Cowboys: WR Randall Cobb too costly to re-sign

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
$7M is costly, because we need to pay another player $40M .

Can't wait for Dak's holdout , Jerry will fold like a ...

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Dallas Cowboys: WR Randall Cobb too costly to re-sign

Given the depth of the WR position in the upcoming draft, re-signing veteran Randall Cobb may prove to be too costly for the Dallas Cowboys We've finally...

Read Full Story
And too old.
Trade him to the Jets!!!!

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Of course, Dez can be had for vet minimum plus incentives. That is the way Stephen rolls .
This was my thought as soon as I read the article.

Additionally, TE is due for an upgrade as well. There are a number of quality TE in the draft and and FA.

Both positions should be fixed while the players are available and not resigning Cobb is a big help here.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
I think $5 million is the upper limit. For his role and numbers, Dallas should try to get him down to $3 million.
Not going to happen.

Some team will pay him $7 mil.

Say your goodbyes. These guys do not play for a discount. Cobb had over 800+TDs and was #4 receiver.

If they had thrown more to him, easily another 1000 TDs WR.

We may never see receiver yardage like that again.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I suspect atleast 5 and some incentives
He had a couple of incentives last year and I think he hit one for 250k
Give him 5 with a few more incentives
I don’t think 7 mil is happening anywhere

I'm not against 5 since the cost of doing business goes up each year. I'd try to get him for less but it certainly might take that.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Not going to happen.

Say your goodbyes. These guys do not play for a discount. Cobb had over 800+TDs and was #4 receiver.

He also had a lot of big plays called back due to penalties.

conner01

Reaction score
I'm not against 5 since the cost of doing business goes up each year. I'd try to get him for less but it certainly might take that.
This may be a good draft to get a WR mid rnd or later to be his replacement in a year or two, ideally with some return skills
But I think play aside he can help the players learn the system

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Not going to happen.

agree.

he’s gone.

UFA

Hadenough

Reaction score
7 mil is not bad for Cobb. He was becoming the #2B WR in this offense. Heck they were giving Williams that much a few years ago. If your going to pay dak big money than he is going to have to make guys like Cedrick Wilson look like Cobb.

Carson

Reaction score
agree.

he’s gone.

UFA

Ehhhh. We will see. His market was pretty dry last offseason. He did however, perform well to get interest.

Cobb is happy in Dallas, his family is happy in Dallas. His former coach is now in Dallas.

Question becomes, does he want to take 1-2 million less to stay here? Or chase that extra 1-2 million and play elsewhere.

I still see him coming back to play under McCarthy

7 mil is not bad for Cobb. He was becoming the #2B WR in this offense. Heck they were giving Williams that much a few years ago. If your going to pay dak big money than he is going to have to make guys like Cedrick Wilson look like Cobb.

I agree with you. If I’m Dallas, I do the following

Resign Cooper, resign Cobb, draft WR in round 3/4.

Cooper, Gallup, Cobb, Smith, Rookie WR

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Cobb isn't going anywhere. He is committed to working with Mike McCarthy again. His representation will work out a deal with the Cowboys FO.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
He also had a lot of big plays called back due to penalties.
Yes he did.

He got what he was looking for with us.

Let him get something for his taking a chance with us in 2019 and get his pay raise elsewhere.

We probably can not replace his production with a rookie. What complicates things is losing Cobbs 800+ yds AND 600 yds from Witten leaving.

Together that is 2 main targets that have to be replaced to keep the chains moving with Dak.

Jarwin gets his shot at TE to see if he can be versatile enough to both block and catch.

Zeke has to shift his roll to catching alot more passes now to pickup some slack.

I still think Ebron is our best option at TE. He needs to be a 3 down TE becuz now..whenever Jarwin comes in the game, chances are there is a play coming his way.

That is not good. Under Garrett, player packages dominated our playcalling fooling nobody.

Now with this WCO, we need players who can stay in the game and not tip off where the ball is going.

Dak is not going to be running alot becuz of his shoulder now.

So how these issues get addressed is huge.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
This may be a good draft to get a WR mid rnd or later to be his replacement in a year or two, ideally with some return skills
But I think play aside he can help the players learn the system

I don't mind that, but I am opposed to spending any early draft picks on offense unless we address our defensive needs through free agency. The offense, minus tight end, has the pieces it needs to succeed (obviously, if we re-sign our own, which I think we will). The defense is still missing a few key ones, particularly at defensive tackle and safety.

If we let Prescott, Cooper or Jones walk, then those positions move up in priority, although we could try to mitigate the corner loss by re-signing Brown and making Lewis, Awuzie and Brown our top three. (I'm not 100 percent sold on that, but I could see it being an option.) I think if Quinn walks, it will mean Dallas is counting on Gregory to return and start, which I also am not 100 percent sold on.

USArmyVet

Reaction score
Dallas Cowboys: WR Randall Cobb too costly to re-sign

Given the depth of the WR position in the upcoming draft, re-signing veteran Randall Cobb may prove to be too costly for the Dallas Cowboys We've finally...

Read Full Story

While $7M/year, if accurate, is a bit high for Cobb as a potential 3rd WR option, think of it more in terms of this:

would you rather have Randall Cobb at $7M or DT/DE Tyrone Crawford?????

The reason I ask is because Crawford is set to count $9.1M against the 2020 salary cap and Dallas could save $8M by releasing him ($1.1M dead money).

So who is more valuable to Dallas in 2020: Cobb or Crawford??????

2019 Stats

Randall Cobb 15 games 55 catches 828 yards 15.1 ypc 3 TD's $4.56M cap hit 29 years old

Tyrone Crawford 4 games 3 tackles 1 sack $10.1M cap hit 30 years old

Praxit

Reaction score
..maybe Big Mike, will partake in the Cobb process. Get him to drop to 5-6 mill? Or rid of Coop and sign Cobb and 2 others for the price? I would go with the latter. Coop cant be trusted, the guy shows up only when the sun is out.