SDogo Draft and FA Prep Thread V 1.0

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
Dyluke;4421984 said:
What is the deal with Vontaze? Outside of the personal foul penalties, this guy is beast. Recent Mocks I've seen, including Kiper, have Vontaze slipping out of the first round entirely. If he was available come round 2, I would think the Cowboys would be all over him. Anyone have insight?

SDogo can correct me if I'm wrong, but this past year wasn't very good for him. He was out of position, got beat, and just wasn't as solid as he was the year before.

Shadowy329

Reaction score
RS12;4421966 said:
This is why I have no faith in Jerry or Garrett. It obvious to anybody with one working eye and an IQ in the 3 digit range that this guy was toast two years ago. Another wasted roster spot just like Beuhler.

With no upgrade to his position there is no reason to not bring him back and have him play while doing some on field coaching work.

I personally like the idea of having him as a position coach or at the least an assistant position coach.

BIGDen

Dr. Freakasaurus
Reaction score
Thanks SDogo. I always look forward to your posts in the offseason. Unfortunately, the Cowboys info was somewhat disappointing/discouraging. The McNabb to Dallas rumor caused me to vomit in my mouth a little (although I know it's just a rumor). I like Brooking, but he should not be on a football field next year - at least not in Dallas. I REALLY hope they see the major issues we have on the OL and don't keep scraping by with below average players. The LR to Jax stuff is annoying. The guy is far from a big name FA WR this offseason. There are so many WRs that are significantly more accomplished than LR and I hope Jax isn't in love with him because a bidding war would be terrible. Pretty sure Jax has quite a bit of cap room (if I remember correctly). LR was one of the few true bright spots on this team last year and Romo would definitely miss him. The guy had an instant connection with Romo and was clutch. We NEED all the clutch players we can get on this team. I think we would definitely regret not re-signing him.

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
GroundUp;4421898 said:
I'm specifically interested in th CB and LB interest the team has in this years draft. Dre K being viewed as a safety doesn't surprise me one bit. Would that take him off of our first round draft board?

There was a limited mention about the Nevada duo but my next update will have more specific player information as far as the Cowboys are concerned.

SDogo

Reaction score
dantheman41;4421899 said:
Have you heard anything about cowboys interest in other free agent corners, Carr, Finnegan or Grimes? What do you forsee cowboys doing with their 1st round pick?

It appears as of right now there is no interest or the Cowboys are keeping quiet about it. It's still early and the talks will heat up more in the coming weeks but all 3 names you mentioned were players I acquired about when I was asking around and the feeling I got is that only if the market settles will you see the Cowboys bring in any of those 3.

Finnegan is looking for a major pay day right now in what will be probably his final contract.

Carr and Grimes has inflated value and will probably be over paid.

SDogo

Reaction score
RS12;4421908 said:
What about Akiem Hicks, Sdogo?

Nothing new in this update but I have mentioned before that Hicks is a player the Cowboys like very much at this stage.

SDogo

Reaction score
Picksix;4421910 said:
So, if say, Kirkpatrick, Hightower, Still, and Jenkins are all on the board at 14, which way do you see them going right now?

That's a great question and list. I would eliminate Kirkpatrick, I just get the feeling he's not the type of CB Dallas is looking for despite his size.

Still is a interesting name that should be mentioned more. For the last 5 years the Cowboy shave toyed with drafting a DE in round 1 and no more so then the last 2 years. It's obvious they want to upgrade the DL and are not afraid to invest a high pick in doing it. To be honest, I have no idea where the Cowboys stand in regard to Still.

Jenkins is the one player out of this list I see the Cowboys being most interested in IF THEY STAY AT 14. Every time I poke around I get more and more comfortable in saying that he will be on a short list of possibilities at 14.

Hightower is sleeper pick. I can honestly see the Cowboys pulling the trigger at 14 but if a trde card is turned in the odds of him being taken sky rocket. Jerry has pulled no punches when talking about our LB's and his desire for a bigger, stronger and faster bunch. The lack of depth is obvious and what 3-4 team does not invest in a LB each draft?

Picksix;4421910 said:
And, do you have any idea what they're thinking regarding McClellin?

No but with all my heart I want to tell you they are on him like white on rice.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
Bowdown27;4421975 said:
Great info sdogo as always!! I am kinda shocked about the info with kirkpatrick truthfully. if he wants to be a first rounder he better work his tail off at the combine next weekend.

Brooking I'm not happy about the whole him coming back but I like the idea of him being a coach. I think he would be great.
I agree that he may have some coaching skills that can be helped with working as an asst so why not make him an asst LB coach, it would cost less than paying him the vet min as well as open up a roster spot

SDogo

Reaction score
41gy#;4421935 said:
Do you think Dallas would go for Silatolu in round 2 or 3? Do you think they would take him over Osemele in round 2? Mayock has moved Silatolu ahead of Osemele. Bunting really likes Silatolu, too.

I don't believe Silatolu will last much past the early part of Round 2 from what I'm gathering. It seems to be the prime range if Dallas is looking to add OL help early in the draft.

41gy#;4421935 said:
Let us know what you are hearing about Josh Norman (CB Coastal Carolina). Right now, I'm seeing 3rd round, but if he could turn into a Cory Webster type player, you would have a solid CB. I'd have no problem if Dallas went Janoris Jenkins at 14 and Norman in round 3. I just really want a guard in round 2.

He is an extremely hot name right now and as the draft process winds up and he gets to work out for teams it's only going to rise. He's a very athletic corner but at the same time is very raw.

41gy#;4421935 said:
Forgot:

Let us know about Janzen Jackson. I'm seeing 4th round, and the guy has top 20 talent. I watched him play at Tennessee, and he is exactly the type of safety that you want in the NFL. Dallas has been so starved for a S. Having Berry and Jackson on the field at the same time was freakish. Obviously, he carries big risk.

Jackson is going to be extremely over drafted because this is a very weak S class. I have heard people mention mid to late round 2 when talking about him.

SDogo

Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;4421941 said:
That falls in line with the whole franchise-tag talk with Spencer.

The Cowboys apparently do not see anyone out there who's going to come in and do as good a job.

They may very well be right and I was all for letting Spencer walk before I really started to break down this FA and draft class.

Simply there is not a obvious upgrade out there.

SDogo

Reaction score
rash;4421957 said:
SDogo,
I literally rise to the edge of my seat whenever I see the name SDogo underneath a new thread topic. I am grateful for all your contributions to this message board.

Since you mentioned that the defense might incorporate more 43 formations, do you think that eliminates the need for a prototypical nose tackle? Have any sources given you any insight on what this team thinks of Lissemore and what he can bring to the table at the nose? I'm sure there is a correlation between addressing the D-line & the team's confidence in Lissemore (or any of our other d-linemen for that matter)

The Cowboys are VERY high on Lissemore and Brent. I was told with in the team it did not go unnoticed that the run defense improved this year with Lissemore in the lineup and it showed in his increased playing time. I'm sure a move to a 4-3 would do nothing but be beneficial for Sean. If the switch happened now I have no doubt Dallas would plug him in a starting DT and not think twice.

SDogo

Reaction score
burmafrd;4421963 said:
As regards pass rushers, everything I have heard except for individual player homers is that no one really looks like a double digit sack guy in this entire draft.

In that case I guess it makes a sick kind of sense to stick with Spencer for one more year.

I don't see one that can do it consistently. Ingram may be the best of the bunch but you need 2 or 3 years of patience before you will see the return in your investment.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
SDogo;4422067 said:
They may very well be right and I was all for letting Spencer walk before I really started to break down this FA and draft class.

Simply there is not a obvious upgrade out there.

I think a lot of the problem is that Spencer is obviously not as good as Ware, and therefore he cannot compensate for lackluster defensive line play like Ware can.

I think if we upgrade the DL and get an elite DE, Spencer would be more than adequate at the SOLB spot.

Thoughts, SDogo?

SDogo

Reaction score
Bowdown27;4421975 said:
Great info sdogo as always!! I am kinda shocked about the info with kirkpatrick truthfully. if he wants to be a first rounder he better work his tail off at the combine next weekend.

He does not only need to run well but scouts are going to want to see him tested. If he can show the foot work, flexibility and fluidity people say he lacks I could see him going top 10. If not he may drop to the 20's. We all know he's physical and pound for pound the best tackler in this draft but those just add to the safety talk when combined with quickness and recovery questions.

SDogo

Reaction score
tm1119;4421982 said:
So there's a good chance DeCastro won't be there and Kirkpatrick isn't being considered at 14? That kinda scares me, especially if they deduct a lot of points from Jenkins on character and drop him way down the board. That leaves who? Ingram and Glenn for positions of need for us? Possibly Kronz if he's cleared medically. Really doesnt make me feel all that great.

It's a hard trap not to fall into but with every draft players fall and get over drafted. I think it's too early to be drawing verdicts and limiting our options to a handful of players.

SDogo

Reaction score
Dyluke;4421984 said:
What is the deal with Vontaze? Outside of the personal foul penalties, this guy is beast. Recent Mocks I've seen, including Kiper, have Vontaze slipping out of the first round entirely. If he was available come round 2, I would think the Cowboys would be all over him. Anyone have insight?

He's a mental case and his play this year was severely lacking. If not for the prior year no one would be associating his name with the first 3 rounds. I don't think there is a bigger boom or bust type player in this entire draft.

SDogo

Reaction score
casmith07;4421997 said:
SDogo can correct me if I'm wrong, but this past year wasn't very good for him. He was out of position, got beat, and just wasn't as solid as he was the year before.

See post above, I would of just dished the credit to you if I would of scene this post first. lol

SDogo

Reaction score
BIGDen;4422000 said:
Thanks SDogo. I always look forward to your posts in the offseason. Unfortunately, the Cowboys info was somewhat disappointing/discouraging. The McNabb to Dallas rumor caused me to vomit in my mouth a little (although I know it's just a rumor). I like Brooking, but he should not be on a football field next year - at least not in Dallas. I REALLY hope they see the major issues we have on the OL and don't keep scraping by with below average players. The LR to Jax stuff is annoying. The guy is far from a big name FA WR this offseason. There are so many WRs that are significantly more accomplished than LR and I hope Jax isn't in love with him because a bidding war would be terrible. Pretty sure Jax has quite a bit of cap room (if I remember correctly). LR was one of the few true bright spots on this team last year and Romo would definitely miss him. The guy had an instant connection with Romo and was clutch. We NEED all the clutch players we can get on this team. I think we would definitely regret not re-signing him.

We simply can't get in a bidding war with Jacksonville or for any player. The Jags do have the ability to make him forgot all he said about staying in Dallas if they are that high on him.