Seahawks sign DT Hankins

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
This is not business as usual. Otherwise they keep at least a few of their own starters. This is the fukital strategy.
Their all-in is being willing to pay big money for their star players. I don't think they view who they've lost as must keeps.

Armstrong and Fowler were rotational ends. They've got Lawrence and Parsons as their primary pass rushers and have not gotten as much out of their second-round pick as they've probably wanted. Removing his competition means they get to see if he can live up to it.

Biadasz wasn't a star center worthy of a star contract, so they've gone with the young backup for the moment. (I'm absolutely sure we will draft a center; not sure when.)

Tyron was an aging star with injury issues. We drafted his eventual replacement a couple of years ago and saw promising play in limited roles from Bass and Richards.

Pollard didn't live up to his franchise tag. I think Dowdle is just a placeholder and running back will be high on our draft list.

This tweet says we tried to keep Hankins, but weren't willing to pay as much as Seattle. Our justification for that is likely that we spent a first-round pick on an NT last year.

If our strategy was to tank this season, like some believe it is, we definitely would not have signed Kendricks and we probably would not have re-signed Lewis.

rambo2

Reaction score
Lol this could get ugly fast this season. This is truly "all in" or "all out" by the looks of it.
I heard the ugly quote 2 years ago after the 1st game of the season from Norm Van Brocklin. The have won 25 games since then.

Blitzen

Reaction score
Their all-in is being willing to pay big money for their star players. I don't think they view who they've lost as must keeps.

Armstrong and Fowler were rotational ends. They've got Lawrence and Parsons as their primary pass rushers and have not gotten as much out of their second-round pick as they've probably wanted. Removing his competition means they get to see if he can live up to it.

Biadasz wasn't a star center worthy of a star contract, so they've gone with the young backup for the moment. (I'm absolutely sure we will draft a center; not sure when.)

Tyron was an aging star with injury issues. We drafted his eventual replacement a couple of years ago and saw promising play in limited roles from Bass and Richards.

Pollard didn't live up to his franchise tag. I think Dowdle is just a placeholder and running back will be high on our draft list.

This tweet says we tried to keep Hankins, but weren't willing to pay as much as Seattle. Our justification for that is likely that we spent a first-round pick on an NT last year.

If our strategy was to tank this season, like some believe it is, we definitely would not have signed Kendricks and we probably would not have re-signed Lewis.

They have to fill a roster. Tell yourself whatever you like. Tons of snaps lost. The team’s m.o. has been bring back valuable contributors (last year they did lots of midsized deals for their own players-who for sure were not stars ). They are going younger at virtually every position. Let’s hope they are thinking the same at QB-he isn’t going to age like a Brady or Rodgers-no matter what the fan club thinks.

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
Call Jim Harbaugh and tell him he can reunite with Mazi for a 2nd round pick...I'd even settle for a 3rd. Then go get T'Vondre Sweat in the draft!

MikeT22

Reaction score
lol How in the world did they talk Zimmer into taking this DC position? I know he didn't have lots of teams knocking his door down to hire him, but coming in on a 1 year contract with this bare defense seems like career suicide. lol
He's 67 and had no other offers. Went from HC to unemployed to DC with a one year deal and a lame duck HC.

So he'll either be the next HC or retire.

gimmesix

Reaction score
They have to fill a roster. Tell yourself whatever you like. Tons of snaps lost. The team’s m.o. has been bring back valuable contributors (last year they did lots of midsized deals for their own players-who for sure were not stars ). They are going younger at virtually every position. Let’s hope they are thinking the same at QB-he isn’t going to age like a Brady or Rodgers-no matter what the fan club thinks.
We've got a different defensive coordinator who wants his guys and has no ties to the players who left. He got what appears to be his main ask and the Joneses were willing to go against San Francisco for him, likely exceeding what they want to pay any outside free agent.

The players we lost on offense were either underperforming or age/injury risks with younger players waiting in the wings. We have cut ties with players before under this philosophy who did not live up to their contracts. I think there will be a little bit more movement by the team to fill out the roster, but they also could wait until after the draft to see what they get first. After all, when you are paying bottom dollar, you really don't have to hurry.

I think they got placeholders in place at every starting position. I'm not happy about who they've chosen, but for what they are willing to pay, it's pretty much all they could get.

QB Prescott, Lance, Rush (don't expect that to change in draft)
FB Luepke (don't expect that to change in draft)
RB Dowdle, Vaughn, Davis (expect RB to be drafted to contend for starting job)
TE Ferguson, Schoonmaker, Hendershot (don't expect that to change in draft)
WR Lamb, Cooks, Tolbert, Turpin, Brooks, Bryant (not sure if that will change in draft)
OL Tyler, Bass, Hoffman, Martin, Steele, Richards, Ball, Waletzko (expect C to be drafted at the least)

DE Lawrence, Parsons, Williams, Fehoko, Golston (not sure if that will change in draft)
DT Mazi, Odighizuwa, Golston, Davis (expect at least one DT to be drafted)
LB Kendricks, Parsons, Clark, Overshown (expect at least one LB to be drafted)
CB Diggs, Bland, Lewis, Scott (expect CB to be drafted)
S Wilson, Hooker, Bell, Thomas, Mukuamu (don't expect that to change in draft)

That's five positions where there is definitely a draft need, but only RB and C absolutely need a starter upgrade. That's not saying we can't use or don't need several upgrades, but I'm trying to look at it like this front office does. Their strategy each year is to make sure they have placeholders at every position heading into the draft. For example, last year they resigned Hankins to be the placeholder at NT because they didn't know they were going to get Mazi in the draft. This year, re-signing Hankins wasn't considered an absolute because they have Mazi. A few years back, they let Byron Jones go in free agency despite the fact they pay their own. They did that because they knew he would be overvalued but because they also had two starters and a nickel in place and could afford to move on. It may be a poor strategy overall, but it's their strategy ... bring in cheap free agents to fill out the roster where needed ahead of the draft, sign your own unless you've got players to take their roles.

I am interested to see if a change in their strategy this year is to trade some picks after the draft if they don't get what they want in the draft since they know they will have a bunch of comp picks next year. But I'm giving them far too much credit for being forward thinking instead of reactionary.

chuck520

Reaction score

Mazi is a bust

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
They don’t have to say it aloud. Actions tell the story. The pending Dak mega extension makes sense to anyone? He’s in his “prime,” but the squad is going to replace lots of starters and key backups this year with lame duck coaches (several just signed).
I know that but stop the “we are going for it talk” it’s ridiculous because as you said actions >>>words

gimmesix

Reaction score
Mazi is a bust
Just going by his rookie year, he looks like he might be, but that doesn't mean the Joneses look at him that way. They look at him as a first-round investment and will give him every opportunity to succeed, even relying on him to be before he shows it, which is part of the problem with this front office.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
Dak running everyone off
Dak just might be willing to forfeit his no trade clause just to help escape from this "all in" suicide pact.
Apparently Jerry's "all in" claim was not referring to a mere 1 year arrangement.
I'm starting to think we're actually tanking the season and this is more than just a 1 year "all in". We're losing a lot of players
with no serious signs of replacing them with quality FAs. Looking more and more like a tank.
It'll be interesting to see how serious Dak is about remaining a Cowboy if the team is going to fall apart in front of him.

Motorola

Reaction score
It's not his last season of his rookie contract. Lance still has the option 5th year. Plus, any team who were willing to trade for him would obviously offer him a long-term contract after this year.
Cowboys decidedl not to take on Lance's fifth year option already.
So 2024 is his final year of his rookie contract.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
It says in the tweet we wanted to keep him but Seahawks paid more.

Nothing new for the Cowboys, just being cheap.
I'm sure the resident homers will be coming around soon to tell us how Hankins was just a scrub and we will be better off without him.

You know its coming:thumbup: