Sean Payton To Sign With Broncos

Jayinem

Reaction score
Local reports are saying that's BS and they wanted Payton all along.
Who knows but it could be damage control because they don't want Payton or Bronco fans thinking he was 2nd choice especially when they had to give up draft compensation. I trust Rapaport.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
Interested to see the compensation for Payton. Do the Broncos still have many picks to give up after the Russell Wilson trade? Could NO have lowered their demands to do right by Payton?
They got a first from Miami for Chubb

Flamma

Reaction score
I don't believe Denver was his first choice. I believe Denver was one of the few teams willing to give up picks to get him. He's now hoping Wilson is salvageable. The Chargers GM probably told him to go pound salt.

jgboys1

Reaction score
Denver doesn't have a #1 this years so I guess they will be giving up at least their #1 for next year too, if not more.

quickccc

Reaction score
I hope we can sign away Dalton Risner from them and really solidify our OL. He’s gonna get about 5/$45M, but we could swing it if we don’t sign Pollard.
A high priced OG in FA, whose not even an Pro bowler ? Nope ... that's not Stephen...

Tyler will either be the LG or OG will come by NFL draft .. and Stephen will seek out bargain based minimal vets for backup spots.

And i'm not banking on a Risner or one fo the most explosive RBs in the NFL

kskboys

Reaction score
I don't believe Denver was his first choice. I believe Denver was one of the few teams willing to give up picks to get him. He's now hoping Wilson is salvageable. The Chargers GM probably told him to go pound salt.
I have serious doubts as to whether Sean is as highly regarded around the NFL as he is on this site.

Proof

Reaction score
I said that people were really selling Denver for short as a potential Payton destination….the owners are willing to spend and they have talent on defense and offense.

Low on picks but the talent to be able to trade players for assets if things get ugly. Also if anyone can fix Wilson it could be Payton.

But historically a well run franchise with good fans and deep pocket owners who wanna make a splash
only a destination because they got spurned by every other coach and are desperate. and every franchise in the nfl has deep pockets lol. they also don’t have any assets to move outside of maybe jeudy

sideon

Reaction score
Exactly. With the Saints having said they want at least a 1st round draft pick for Sean's rights I am not sure what Denver will give up but at this point (they have the 29th pick in this year's draft but is that enough???), as you stated, they have an overpaid crap QB and no legitimate draft picks for years.

Talk about a bad move for Payton.
Yes poor millionaire Payton:laugh:

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
only a destination because they got spurned by every other coach and are desperate. and every franchise in the nfl has deep pockets lol. they also don’t have any assets to move outside of maybe jeudy

It’s one thing to have deep pockets and be willing to spend it….they said they wanna make a splash and they did. And please if you are desperate you don’t get Sean Payton….every single other team hiring a coach wanted him first.

Flamma

Reaction score
Denver is like a gambler that bet half their life savings on one spin of the wheel and lost. And now they're putting up the other half in an attempt to win it back.

Proof

Reaction score
It’s one thing to have deep pockets and be willing to spend it….they said they wanna make a splash and they did. And please if you are desperate you don’t get Sean Payton….every single other team hiring a coach wanted him first.
desperation = willing to give up draft compensation. there’s a reason he said he was going to take another year off

btgboys41

Reaction score
Good for Denver. His resume aside, it’s highly likely they have a fate determined by their coach and mainly his decisions and execution and not his ownership. That to me is the first step of many where I’d predict success. They obviously need many other things but to me, it’s the right start. Sure feels like the most recent Super Bowl teams all are driven by the head coach and not the owners seeking credit and attention.