Sean Peyton v. JG - The Grass Is Always Greener

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Talk about reviving an obscure comment in a trivial game thread. Lol. Yes. His route running ability reminds me more of Jerry Rice, and no that's not a direct comparison. Sue me.

Lol? I wasn’t taking a shot at you.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
He won a SB.

That trumps anything Garrett has done. Ever.

No one is saying Payton is Belichick here. But trying to argue Garrett is the same or better is insane.

Show me where I argued Garrett is the same or better.

Payton has had the NFL's all time leading passer his entire time in New Orleans, and he's reached one SB? Brian Billick won a SB. Don McCaffrey won a SB.

Like I said, "he's better than Garrett" isn't much of a response. That's a far cry from being a "great" coach.

nobody

Reaction score
It doesn't 'spoil my narrative'. It further supports my narrative. I think Peyton is a great coach, but I think it's incredibly difficult to get to the conference championship game, much less the SB. After all, if he did it in year 4, why hasn't he repeated (often?)? He only won 3 division titles over the next ten years and only got a bye once (this year).

The point is simple: Great coach + HoF QB does NOT equal playoff success. By design. parity rules the NFL. Except for the most dysfunctional franchises (and Dallas is not one of them), the margin between making the playoffs and then advancing is very, very small.

He made it to the conference championship this year. Garrett didn't. Who the hell cares about regular season wins? It's about getting further in the playoffs.

Mannix

Reaction score
-----And yes I'd take Payton over Garrett any day

I'd take McCarthy over Garrett any day of the week!!!

Colombiacowboy

Reaction score
Food for thought......

There are many JG detractors here and throughout Cowboys fandom, and I've heard rumblings and musings about what life as a Cowboy fan would have been like with Sean Peyton at the helm, so I decided to do a little comparison.

Let's talk about won/loss records first. I'll use SP's record since 2012, Garrett's first full year as HC:

JG: Regular Season: 77-59 - 3 Playoff Appearances, 2-3 - No NFCCG - 3 Divisional Titles

SP: (Last 8 years) Regular Season - 76-60 - 4 Playoff Appearances - 4-3 - 1 NFCCG (today) - 1 Divisional Title

The nod goes to Garrett by just one game in the regular season. The Saints have been to the playoffs once more than the Cowboys, and they've won their first round game each time. We'll see today if the trend of losing their second playoff game continues when they face the Rams later today.

Garrett has had 1 losing season during his tenure, while Peyton has had 4 during the same time period. We had cries of mediocrity after three 8-8 seasons, with 3 'win and in' losses 2011-2013. I wonder what we would have heard about Peyton after he went 7-9 for 4 out of 5 seasons.

Numbers don't lie. SP has one extra playoff appearance and two additional wins. Is SP a 'better' coach? I'm betting the Garrett haters will be unequivocal with their answer, though unless one places ridiculously heavy weight on playoff appearances, they've had almost identical records.

It's worth noting that Peyton has had a HoF QB during his entire tenure, while Garrett has had Romo (possibly costing us 3 playoff appearances with his 'win and in' losses. One can choose to say that we wouldn't have had those opportunities if Romo hadn't 'carried the team' during those 8-8 seasons, but then what does that say about Brees during his 7-9 seasons?

Pete Carmichael has been the Saints OC since 2009. Using Cowboys fans logic, he should have been placed on the trash heap long ago. On the defensive side of the ball, there are some familiar names for the Saints: Rob Ryan, Steve Spagnuolo, and Dennis Allen, two of which have been head coaches in the NFL. We have Marinelli, also a former head coach. Take from that what you will.

Is Sean Peyton a better coach? Over the same time period, his regular season record says no (by a hair) and his playoff record says yes (by the same hair).

What about the Super Bowl ring that Peyton has? That pretty much seals the deal on this comparison.

The only way JG gets a lombardy trophy in his hands is if he breaks into the trophy case to touch one of Landry's or Johnson's.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
I will dig up the posters responses. this has been a long running argument around here with some staunch haters.

Yeah, I’d be interested in hearing who said that because we’ve had an entire thread claiming the same thing and it turned out it was just one big strawman.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Or Romo might have won a Super Bowl had he executed during any one of his 'win and in' games instead of laying and egg. Pretty sure the coach didn't say, 'Okay, on this play, I want you to throw an interception.'

How many Super Bowls wins would Tom Brady have if Garrett had been his HC and the OC had been Garrett or Linehan?

dfense

Reaction score
Why exactly is Brees this "future hall of famer" you keep mentioning? He sure wasn't in San Diego. He was an injured, 62% completion quarterback who anyone could have signed. And Saban, Garrett, and Linehan passed on signing him in Miami. Does Payton get no credit for that?
Not really. He wanted Romo first, settled for Brees.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Now compare it the right way, First 8 seasons to First 8 seasons. Oh wait, that means one made it to and coached a team to a win in the SB, thus spoiling your narrative. Far better to pick and choose.

Yep, I am glad I am not the only one that noticed the OP cherry picking dates.

Of course the OP conveniently left out the fact that SP has a SB ring on his finger.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Food for thought......

There are many JG detractors here and throughout Cowboys fandom, and I've heard rumblings and musings about what life as a Cowboy fan would have been like with Sean Peyton at the helm, so I decided to do a little comparison.

Let's talk about won/loss records first. I'll use SP's record since 2012, Garrett's first full year as HC:

JG: Regular Season: 77-59 - 3 Playoff Appearances, 2-3 - No NFCCG - 3 Divisional Titles

SP: (Last 8 years) Regular Season - 76-60 - 4 Playoff Appearances - 4-3 - 1 NFCCG (today) - 1 Divisional Title

The nod goes to Garrett by just one game in the regular season. The Saints have been to the playoffs once more than the Cowboys, and they've won their first round game each time. We'll see today if the trend of losing their second playoff game continues when they face the Rams later today.

Garrett has had 1 losing season during his tenure, while Peyton has had 4 during the same time period. We had cries of mediocrity after three 8-8 seasons, with 3 'win and in' losses 2011-2013. I wonder what we would have heard about Peyton after he went 7-9 for 4 out of 5 seasons.

Numbers don't lie. SP has one extra playoff appearance and two additional wins. Is SP a 'better' coach? I'm betting the Garrett haters will be unequivocal with their answer, though unless one places ridiculously heavy weight on playoff appearances, they've had almost identical records.

It's worth noting that Peyton has had a HoF QB during his entire tenure, while Garrett has had Romo (possibly costing us 3 playoff appearances with his 'win and in' losses. One can choose to say that we wouldn't have had those opportunities if Romo hadn't 'carried the team' during those 8-8 seasons, but then what does that say about Brees during his 7-9 seasons?

Pete Carmichael has been the Saints OC since 2009. Using Cowboys fans logic, he should have been placed on the trash heap long ago. On the defensive side of the ball, there are some familiar names for the Saints: Rob Ryan, Steve Spagnuolo, and Dennis Allen, two of which have been head coaches in the NFL. We have Marinelli, also a former head coach. Take from that what you will.

Is Sean Peyton a better coach? Over the same time period, his regular season record says no (by a hair) and his playoff record says yes (by the same hair).

Cherry picking dates……………how bout we compare Payton's first 9 years as head coach vs Garrett's first 9 years as head coach.

Of course that would spoil the narrative because Payton has a ring.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Sean Payton has won 8 playoff games, played in 3 NFC Championship Games, and won a SB trophy. If not for the most blatant missed call in NFL history, he would be going back to his 2nd SB.

Meanwhile, Clappy has a pair of Wildcard wins after almost a decade on the job.

Man, which one is better? This is just so tuff, I just cant decide on which head coach is better. They look pretty equal to me:rolleyes:

CWR

Reaction score
Man I dont LOVE Garrett but is it really that unreasonable to use the last SEVEN years for both coaches in order to compare them?

Theres not a single swinging Richard in here that doesn't know Payton won a CHAMPIONSHIP and Garrett hasnt come close.

That being said its still interesting to see what both coaches have done since then.