CFZ Seems like a great year to be “all in”

ghst187

Reaction score
Rams had a cinderella season.

I also contend that if they have to play KC, they get blown out of the water. Everything went just right for them that season.
Or aaron Donald is one split second later on that last drive, Burrow takes them down for a gw TD.

btgboys41

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If taking a big swing or two to sure up weaknesses defines going all in, then it isn’t just this year thet they should pursue that strategy. I don’t see the NFC as ripe for the taking any more than in previous years.

The division will reset and probably be a dogfight. If any team manages to have the best O and D line in the division, they will be the front runner. I’d like that big swing to be at D tackle at least but they’ve let a couple go by already. Hope they find a great trade there.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Rams had a cinderella season.

I also contend that if they have to play KC, they get blown out of the water. Everything went just right for them that season.
By nature im a 'Stephen, CAP Cautious' kind of guy and could see the issues of the (2021-22) years.
This year's NFC is so mediocre, with every team having concerns, when compared to last year that the chance is too good to miss......especially when our weakness can (HOPEFULLY) be rectified with a WR than helps Dak overcome the mistrust with his secondary targets.
The AFL is going to be a colossal for many years ....the bright spot is that they beat up on each other (like the year when Mahomes played the SB without any Tackles).
There's never a PERFECT YEAR, but there's an opportunity in 2023.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If taking a big swing or two to sure up weaknesses defines going all in, then it isn’t just this year thet they should pursue that strategy. I don’t see the NFC as ripe for the taking any more than in previous years.

The division will reset and probably be a dogfight. If any team manages to have the best O and D line in the division, they will be the front runner. I’d like that big swing to be at D tackle at least but they’ve let a couple go by already. Hope they find a great trade there.
The trenches- the place where the fundamentals of football are really paramount. The teams that can be the best at blocking, tackling and controlling the line of scrimmage are the teams that win playoff games.

Wrs and RBs…Corners and Safeties….all are important. But they are ineffective if they don’t have beasts in the treanches.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Lots of talk about adding a WR, and I get it, but I'm not thrilled about the OL depth at all. We're going to need it, because we always do.

Sounds easy to put Tyron back at LT and slide Tyler inside, but do we really want to count on Tyron being healthy? I want a starting guard and leave Tyler at LT. Tyron may have to begin the year at RT with Steele coming off an ACL, and I'd prefer Tyron to be the swing guy at this point in his career. I don't want to hear about 41 year old Peters coming off a hip injury. Dude was great. Now he's old. Move on.
Sticking with the "it's starts up front" theory (which I subscribe to), what do we have now?

DL is pretty good, Lawrence, Armstrong, et al, no great DT but Hankins provides the beef if he's healthy and a strong DT rotation can be effective.

OL is fairly good, as long as Tyron stays healthy and Steele comes back 95% or bettter as before the injury, Martin always solid, Biadasz could be better but he's not terrible. Remember Martin was All Pro his first year, if the Cowboys could duplicate that or close to it via trade or moving up in the draft to fill the LG spot, could be one of the better OLs in the league.

With a top defense and even an average offense, as Jake noted no Brady or maybe Rodgers, the Eagles losng key pieces, Giants and Washington still needing major upgrades here and there, if Dallas can get home field (for what it's worth) then at least it's not looking bleak....

shabazz

Reaction score
the Niners and Eagles knew that last year was a good time to go all in and we see where both those teams finished…….our FO has to be hit in the head with an anvil to recognize what other teams knew all along.

90% of our fans knew that last season without Brady and a bad GB team was the time to go all in but we received 15-20 snaps a game Hankins and TY off the couch…….some big splash right there.

shabazz

Reaction score
Unfortunately Dak is still our QB so unless they find a way to make this the best defense ever we aren't getting to the Superbowl.
Yup….our defense held the Niners to 1 TD, 312 total yards and under 20 points but all the offense could muster was 1 TD and 12 points……oh and 2 interceptions

shabazz

Reaction score
The trenches- the place where the fundamentals of football are really paramount. The teams that can be the best at blocking, tackling and controlling the line of scrimmage are the teams that win playoff games.

Wrs and RBs…Corners and Safeties….all are important. But they are ineffective if they don’t have beasts in the treanches.
Since the trenches include defensive tackles I’m not sure the FO values their importance

it frustrating as hell

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Proof of that is in the Cowboys history and while the skill positions get all the love like Staubach, Dorsett, Pearson, Aikman, Smith and Irvin, look at the lines for those teams.....exceptional with backups starting for other teams once they moved on.

Booger has never understood, or maybe it's accepted, that the foundation, the lines on both sides of the ball, must be solid to excel. He's follow the ball and loves skill position players because they're more marketable.

Zack Martin has been the best player on the team since he joined them but he is not marketable.

Last edited:

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
“We” should do a lot of things but we never do. Jerry still believes in building for the future, that was the right idea in the non-salary cap era and in a sense it is still true to a degree, but Jerry never adapted properly once the caps were implemented. Prior to the cap, Jerry could buy his way to the top. When he has to use his brain in the cap era, he is completely ineffective as our record in the last 25 years shows.

khiladi

Reaction score
Didn't he put up like 38 on the #1 D? It's like when Dak has a bad drive and everyone says he's sucks. He might be the best QB in the entire NFC and was the MVP runner up but you're trying to tell us he's not that good.
Dak has 8 years of sucking.. and is a waking pick 6.. facts are the NFC was wide open this year and Hurts beat a 49ers team with ref help and like 12th stringers at QB.

kskboys

Reaction score
By nature im a 'Stephen, CAP Cautious' kind of guy and could see the issues of the (2021-22) years.
This year's NFC is so mediocre, with every team having concerns, when compared to last year that the chance is too good to miss......especially when our weakness can (HOPEFULLY) be rectified with a WR than helps Dak overcome the mistrust with his secondary targets.
The AFL is going to be a colossal for many years ....the bright spot is that they beat up on each other (like the year when Mahomes played the SB without any Tackles).
There's never a PERFECT YEAR, but there's an opportunity in 2023.
Except that Philly is stacked. First step to beating them is to stymie them at the point of attack, up the middle. W/o better DT's, Philly wins. And then, we needs some OLB's who can fly. 4.4/4.5 type guys.

If we keep on basing our philosophy on acquiring CBs and WRs, Philly wins. I'm hoping that MM knows this and acquires players accordingly.

kskboys

Reaction score
Yup….our defense held the Niners to 1 TD, 312 total yards and under 20 points but all the offense could muster was 1 TD and 12 points……oh and 2 interceptions
Only way is to build a better team.

kskboys

Reaction score
Sticking with the "it's starts up front" theory (which I subscribe to), what do we have now?

DL is pretty good, Lawrence, Armstrong, et al, no great DT but Hankins provides the beef if he's healthy and a strong DT rotation can be effective.

OL is fairly good, as long as Tyron stays healthy and Steele comes back 95% or bettter as before the injury, Martin always solid, Biadasz could be better but he's not terrible. Remember Martin was All Pro his first year, if the Cowboys could duplicate that or close to it via trade or moving up in the draft to fill the LG spot, could be one of the better OLs in the league.

With a top defense and even an average offense, as Jake noted no Brady or maybe Rodgers, the Eagles losng key pieces, Giants and Washington still needing major upgrades here and there, if Dallas can get home field (for what it's worth) then at least it's not looking bleak....
The DL is NOT pretty good. JAGs. Filled w/ JAGs. We do not have a starting quality DT on the roster. Unless Hankins resigned.

Yes, our DEs are good, but they are continuously derailed by bad DT play.

rambo2

Reaction score
With the retirement (at least as of this moment) of Tom Brady and the move of Aaron Rodgers to the jets, going into 2023 the NFC is more wide open than any season in recent memory. In my opinion, however anyone ranks the remaining QBs in the NFC, it’s fairly clear that the Cowboys have a wider lane to at least go further than they’ve gone in the last 27 seasons. This team is closer to competing for a championship than in recent years.

Seems like a great year to go “all in”, right?

So far this off-season, the Cowboys FO has done a much better job of being active. The trade for Stephon Gilmore, the restructuring of multiple big contracts to clear space, the release of Zeke, the tag being placed on Tony Pollard are all good moves IMO. It’s been good to see some of these moves happen this off-season.

Now in the rest of the off-season, we have the opportunity to see what “going for it“ can really mean. We still need major upgrades to interior DL, probably another LB, a WR, drafted RBs, and some additional help in the OL.

This off-season is off to a better start than any in recent years. But much work remains. Time to GO FOR IT! Time to make even more bold moves to get better!
I'm confident.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
It does make you think where was this front office for an All Pro QB like Romo.
DALLAS FO is a learn on the job FO ! lol they have been learning since jimmys team fell apart.
They are still learning, it is a process!!!!!
They helped tony by hiring bad coaches, and FA deals like roy williams lol.

btgboys41

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Totally agree and if they maxed out the trenches, the Dak conversations would be rendered almost moot because with great lines, he’d be at his best. The O line to give him time + down and distance, and the D line to give him more possessions.

kskboys

Reaction score
DALLAS FO is a learn on the job FO ! lol they have been learning since jimmys team fell apart.
They are still learning, it is a process!!!!!
They helped tony by hiring bad coaches, and FA deals like roy williams lol.
And they're like Kelly Bundy. As soon as a new fact is introduced, their other learnings are lost.

kskboys

Reaction score
Totally agree and if they maxed out the trenches, the Dak conversations would be rendered almost moot because with great lines, he’d be at his best. The O line to give him time + down and distance, and the D line to give him more possessions.
It's just so frickin' obvious.

However, Jerry completely does not understand what topnotch DTs do for a team.

You know that outside run that DLaw didn't contain? Why didn't he contain it? Because he was forced to collapse inside to guard the middle. THINK people, THINK.