Seems like it'll be Ceedee, Micah, then Dak to get signed?

ICP

Reaction score
If we extend CeeDee and Dak walks and we don’t find a viable QB, CeeDee will never live up to his contract. Fans will start complaining he’s yet another bad contract. He and Dak have developed some great chemistry and CeeDee’s numbers are bound to drop with a lesser QB. It would be a huge waste of money extending CeeDee and not have a QB that can maximize his skills.
I do see your point, so are you saying it's impossible to move on from Dak at this time?

SinceDayOne

Reaction score
The minimum, the bare minimum, amount of guaranteed money Todd France will consider for Dak is $180 million. That’s just a bit more than Goff and Hurts. By March of next year, as the top free agent quarterback available, since the team signing him won’t have to give up player and/or draft capital, the guaranteed money amount will be every bit of $200 million. That will be the cost of waiting. That’s still well behind Watson’s guaranteed amount. What is “FAIR” is what the 32 NFL ownership groups collectively decide.
Another

The answers
The minimum, the bare minimum, amount of guaranteed money Todd France will consider for Dak is $180 million. That’s just a bit more than Goff and Hurts. By March of next year, as the top free agent quarterback available, since the team signing him won’t have to give up player and/or draft capital, the guaranteed money amount will be every bit of $200 million. That will be the cost of waiting. That’s still well behind Watson’s guaranteed amount. What is “FAIR” is what the 32 NFL ownership groups collectively decide is fair.
There are other big considerations when negotiating a second veteran QB contract: Is the player worth what he is making now? Has he been consistent in the big games and in the big moments? Should the management team be confident in the players ability to take them all the way to the top?

The answers in this case are marginally yes. Iffy type answers. Jones and Son are committed to a big extension. I certainly would not be. Prescott has not done enough to deserve it. I would make a team friendly offer. Considering the results of his career to this point that is what the player deserves.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I do see your point, so are you saying it's impossible to move on from Dak at this time?
At this very time with the season coming up it would be beyond insane to move on from him. He would count at least $40M against the cap. Why would we do that? If you’re talking about moving on from him after the 2024 season, we just let him walk but we’ll be stuck without a viable QB. We would very likely have the worst QB situation in the division and would very likely have to overdraft a QB with our first pick next April who doesn’t deserve to go as high as we’re taking them. That would almost certainly lead to a huge mistake. The bottom line is unless Trey Lance proves he can play at a much higher level than he he did with SF, we could be screwed at QB for a number of years. That would result in an even more disgruntled fan base than we’re currently seeing. A lot more disgruntled!

Reactions: ICP

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
Another

The answers

There are other big considerations when negotiating a second veteran QB contract: Is the player worth what he is making now? Has he been consistent in the big games and in the big moments? Should the management team be confident in the players ability to take them all the way to the top?

The answers in this case are marginally yes. Iffy type answers. Jones and Son are committed to a big extension. I certainly would not be. Prescott has not done enough to deserve it. I would make a team friendly offer. Considering the results of his career to this point that is what the player deserves.
“deserve” has nothing to with it. Should It? I’d say “yes, it should”. But it doesn’t. I think the Cowboys should move on from Dak and get started on a future, now, without Dak as quarterback. I don’t believe Jerry Jones shares my sentiment.

SinceDayOne

Reaction score
“deserve” has nothing to with it. Should It? I’d say “yes, it should”. But it doesn’t. I think the Cowboys should move on from Dak and get started on a future, now, without Dak as quarterback. I don’t believe Jerry Jones shares my sentiment.
I think we are agreeing here. No big extension. Only a team friendly deal if anything. We agree that Jones and Son are going to do the big deal.

I think these three contracts (Prescott, Lamb and Parsons) are a watershed moment for the teams future for the next five years or so. I fear these players and their agents are going to take Jerry and Stevie Jones to the woodshed.

Nemesis4u

Reaction score
I doubt it. They would probably want the new QB to have a target like Lamb. I think Parsons is the most likely trade piece.
2 reasons they wont 1 is they will want to rebuild if dak is gone wouldnt even be suprised if parsons goes as well as you said. 2 Ceedee will not want to stay around with a new qb and he can get us too much in return in draft picks to build around said QB.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
I think we are agreeing here. No big extension. Only a team friendly deal if anything. We agree that Jones and Son are going to do the big deal.

I think these three contracts (Prescott, Lamb and Parsons) are a watershed moment for the teams future for the next five years or so. I fear these players and their agents are going to take Jerry and Stevie Jones to the woodshed.
Great players cost a great deal of money. You need some to realistically compete for a Super Bowl. Obviously the challenge is identifying great players, acquiring them, and putting together a coaching staff that can get the most out of them. The Cowboys are not unwilling to pay the going rate for great players. Identifying them and putting together a quality coaching staff to utilize them is proving too much of a challenge for Jerry and Stephen. This is not going to be a fun season for Cowboys fans. This off season has not been much fun, either.

Chasing6

Reaction score
You're talking actual dollars as opposed to cap management. Extending him now drops his cap hit for this year, then gradually rises as the cap goes up. Allowing him to play at an 18M cap hit this year, and a 23M cap hit next year on the tag makes no sense from a cap management POV.

Making players play on their tag year is usually what you do when you plan to let them walk. It's bad for 2 reasons. First, the player is on a higher cap hit than need be playing on his 5th year. Secondly, you have 1 less year to spread out that new contract.

That why we see teams giving out extensions after 3 years for some first round picks. It gives you 6 years to spread out a 4 year extension.
GM Jethro obviously does not care about this years salary cap or he would have extended CD and Dak a long time ago.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Real competition. In the past, not really needed. But now is the time it is needed. Especially after the past few years in the playoffs. Where he did not play well at all.
Do you see anything that shows he will do better next time?
Hahaha. Dak does not play in free season. Especially after the last few season going 12-5.

Trance is a joke!!'

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hahaha. Dak does not play in free season. Especially after the last few season going 12-5.

Trance is a joke!!'
He is only a joke to Dak fans.
They are in fear of him. :lmao:

And I do like Dak to a degree. Just not 100% sold on him. Nor am I sold on Lance as his replacement. As we have know idea about him yet.

Chasing6

Reaction score

And I do like Dak to a degree. Just not 100% sold on him. Nor am I sold on Lance as his replacement. As we have know idea about him yet.
We have a very good idea about who he is. He is a great athlete with basically ZERO QB experience.

Chasing6

Reaction score

We have a very good idea about who he is. He is a great athlete with basically ZERO QB

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
CeeDee, Micah, then Dak? I agree with the first two. I however see Dak being allowed to walk. He won't have the playoff success commenserate with the price tag he is asking for.

Chasing6

Reaction score
CeeDee, Micah, then Dak? I agree with the first two. I however see Dak being allowed to walk. He won't have the playoff success commenserate with the price tag he is asking for.
You have no idea what he is asking.