Sell me on why we should/shouldn't draft Calvin Ridley in the first

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
-Old (24) and physically maxed out.
-Tested as a really poor athlete with some very pedestrian explosiveness scores.
-Doesn't go up and get 50-50 balls.
-I'm not as sold on his route running as some are.

He's still fast, quick in and out of breaks, and pretty technically polished, so I could see how he could succeed as an underneath receiver in the pros. But I'm not using the #19 pick on him. I think he's more of a second rounder.
Who do you like better?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
For me...

Dallas offense let's WR's disappear. It's not a WR problem it's a coaching problem and with Dak instead of Romo it's even worse then it was before.

Now T. Will, who was productive with Romo, is just a nobody now.

Dez is viewed as garbage when in reality if he goes to GB, New Orleans, or New England he would destroy everything in his path there.

So my problem isn't so much with the player it's how involved this player would actually be.

Give me O-line or a Tight End for our offense way before a WR because we will actually use those positions.

waving monkey

Reaction score
gs
I’m setting myself up for disappointment because I believe he the Cowboys’ top target, but I really, really hope we don’t draft him.

Philosophically, I would have a lot of issues with it. Here’s a post of mine from another thread.

“I don’t want a 24 year old rookie in the 1st round because he’s missing around three years off his physical prime. It would be easier to accept if he were a 6’5”, 215 lb athletic freak, but he isn’t. We’re talking about a 6’0”, 189 lb one-dimensional athlete. A 24 year old rookie is already less than ideal, but a 24 year old rookie who only maxes out as a great #2 WR would be an extremely disappointing pick. I don’t want to spend a 1st round pick on a player who’s already scratching his low ceiling.”

I also have some criticisms regarding his game. He’s a terrible run blocker. On a run first team, that’s a recipe for disaster. He also had 20 drops in three season at Alabama and he body catches far more than I would like. His catch radius isn’t all that great in general, being a shorter guy with very little leaping ability.

It’s getting old having to keep saying it, but D.J. Moore is not only a better receiver, but also a better fit for this team. Both are great route runners, both create separation, but D.J. Moore is bigger, stronger, faster, has better hands, he’s a better run blocker and he’s far better after the catch. I don’t think this team would draft him, but I would take Courtland Sutton over him as well.

It just doesn’t make any sense to me to draft Calvin Ridley, who’s been the top receiver only by default.

Finally, I would despise the pick mainly because there’s a lot of other players I would rather have and I don’t care if we have to trade up to get one of them. Derwin James being the top of that list.
:clap:

Carter

Reaction score
Hes old and short. I dont draft an almost 24 yr old 6'0 Receiver in the Top 20. Heck most guys are at the end of their Rookie Contracts when he joins the League. Zeke is 1,5 years younger and has been in the League for two years.

There is no clear cut 1st Round WR Talent in that class. Its deep but lacks high Quality.

Get me one of Chark, Miller or Washington in the 2nd.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
He's 24 years old
The amount of talent in the 3rd-4th round for WRs presents excellent value
Use high draft picks on the trenches
We already are paying big money to three of our WRs
WRs dont win you championships
He tested poorly at the combine

Sydla

Reaction score
I think he's a limited WR that is overvalued because this draft is void of any real upper echelon WRs.

I would be indifferent if we took him at 19.

Also, even if he were a top WR talent, I am not sure this staff would even use him to his fullest.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Out of all the WRs in this years class, Ridley has the best chance of having a long successful career but i don't think he will be a #1 receiver on any team (expect maybe the Patriots but they are on a whole nother level compared to the rest of league). He will be a top level #2 at best. I just think that DJ Moore and maybe even Courtland Sutton have the potential to be a teams star WR on the outside for 10+ years. Its either take the potential or the lesser but guaranteed success. I think we will take the safe route if Ridley last to our pick but i would rather roll the dice on Moore who has the potential to be a much better player in the long run. This is of course if we are set on taking a WR at 19.
Long career..... He will be 24 as a rookie

RandyOh

Reaction score
I don't think he has 10 years. That would put him at 34-35 years old. Unless he is an elite receiver..... Not likely.... Then that's a fantasy
Didn’t say he would be elite. I don’t even think he will be elite in his prime. High end #2 is what I think he will be at his best. I do think that he has the best chance of still being some teams starting WR 7 or 8 years from now tho.

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
Too much talent available through the first 3-4 rounds to burn a pick on a WR that high. DL and LB depth is also good, but LB is a bit more frontloaded so you may have to pull the trigger on one at 19 if you want one of the top five guys.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Didn’t say he would be elite. I don’t even think he will be elite in his prime. High end #2 is what I think he will be at his best. I do think that he has the best chance of still being some teams starting WR 7 or 8 years from now tho.
You don't take that type of receiver in high first round. Being 24 and not a physical beast, on top of that being a number 2 receiver, is not a good recipe for drafting at 19. Much rather draft Moore or Sutton who have the ability to be a number 1 and are much younger.

If you draft Ridley in the first round he will be almost 30 when his rookie deal is up.

RandyOh

Reaction score
You don't take that type of receiver in high first round. Being 24 and not a physical beast, on top of that being a number 2 receiver, is not a good recipe for drafting at 19. Much rather draft Moore or Sutton who have the ability to be a number 1 and are much younger.

If you draft Ridley in the first round he will be almost 30 when his rookie deal is up.
I know. I don’t want him. I want Moore if we are going WR at 19...why are we having this discussion? I even said in my op that I would rather have Moore or Sutton

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
I know. I don’t want him. I want Moore if we are going WR at 19...why are we having this discussion? I even said in my op that I would rather have Moore or Sutton
Cause you said Ridley will have a long career. I replied saying he will be 24 as a rookie and won't have a long career

RandyOh

Reaction score
Cause you said Ridley will have a long career. I replied saying he will be 24 as a rookie and won't have a long career
If he has a 10 or 11 year career then he would which he does have the best chance in this years WR class. He’s the safe option but I don’t want the safe option. Most of these WRs are way more likely to bust and be out the league in 4 or 5 years but they have a higher ceiling of becoming a star.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Pros:

- Best route runner in the draft
- Good top end speed and quickness, and good at getting open
- Great compliment to Dez

Cons:

- 24 year old rookie
- we're a run first team, and we'd be spending a premium pick on a #2 WR
- slight frame, good at run blocking?

For me the 2nd bullet point in the Cons is my biggest issue and why we shouldn't take him at 19.

bayeslife

187beatdown
Reaction score
To anyone saying Ridley would be a bad pick because he’s 24:

We get him on a 5 year contract, if he turns out to be a productive starter and makes the team better in those 5 years then he would already have been worth the ROI picking him at #19. Better value than Elliot at #4 in my opinion.

He will also have less NFL tread and can possibly continue to play in his 30s just like Newman did.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
If he has a 10 or 11 year career then he would which he does have the best chance in this years WR class. He’s the safe option but I don’t want the safe option. Most of these WRs are way more likely to bust and be out the league in 4 or 5 years but they have a higher ceiling of becoming a star.
Ridley is the oldest of the receivers but somehow you think he will have twice as long as a career as the other receivers. He isn't physically the best or most talented of the receivers. Please explain

RandyOh

Reaction score
Ridley is the oldest of the receivers but somehow you think he will have twice as long as a career as the other receivers. He isn't physically the best or most talented of the receivers. Please explain
Scroll up and read cnuball21 pros list. I am starting to lose interest talking about a player I don’t want. In short he’s the most nfl ready WR in terms of skill. Their are plenty more physically gifted WRs but are much more raw route runners and don’t have the best hands. Your letting combine numbers be your main deciding factor. Ridley is the only guaranteed 1st round WR in this draft Because he can come in and start as your #2 right away. I would still rather have Moore tho.