Sell me on why we should/shouldn't draft Calvin Ridley in the first

DiResta

Reaction score
The interview would be critical St. Brown also. He appears intelligent but toughness and love of football might be a question.
i like E St Brown, could replace Butler and hopefully T Will eventually
best of all he fills the need and doesnt cost a 1st or 2nd pick

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Scroll up and read cnuball21 pros list. I am starting to lose interest talking about a player I don’t want. In short he’s the most nfl ready WR in terms of skill. Their are plenty more physically gifted WRs but are much more raw route runners and don’t have the best hands. Your letting combine numbers be your main deciding factor. Ridley is the only guaranteed 1st round WR in this draft Because he can come in and start as your #2 right away. I would still rather have Moore tho.
You are missing my point. I could care less about combine numbers or if he could be number 2 right away. I'm saying he will be 24 years old and won't have a long career in the NFL like you stated. You also stated all the other receivers have higher ceilings but would only play 5 years but somehow you think an old rookie will have twice as long a career when he isn't the best receiver in the draft anyways.

RandyOh

Reaction score
You are missing my point. I could care less about combine numbers or if he could be number 2 right away. I'm saying he will be 24 years old and won't have a long career in the NFL like you stated. You also stated all the other receivers have higher ceilings but would only play 5 years but somehow you think an old rookie will have twice as long a career when he isn't the best receiver in the draft anyways.
I didn’t say he is guaranteed to have the longest. He’s more likely (if I did say he is guaranteed then my bad) The others have a higher bust rate then him. WRs have the highest bust rate outside of QB right now. They are hardly developed anymore in route running. Ridleys is the best route runner tho with the best hands. He’s ready to contribute day one. GMs are going to take that in consideration. He is not the most talented but he at this moment is the most skilled. He is not a perfect prospect because if he was he would not be a consideration at the freaking 19th pick of the draft. His biggest flaw is he’s 24. Garrett Bolles was 25 by the start of training camp last year. Didn’t stop Denver from taking 20th overall and being the first OT taken in last years draft.

bayeslife

187beatdown
Reaction score
I didn’t say he is guaranteed to have the longest. He’s more likely (if I did say he is guaranteed then my bad) The others have a higher bust rate then him. WRs have the highest bust rate outside of QB right now. They are hardly developed anymore in route running. Ridleys is the best route runner tho with the best hands. He’s ready to contribute day one. GMs are going to take that in consideration. He is not the most talented but he at this moment is the most skilled. He is not a perfect prospect because if he was he would not be a consideration at the freaking 19th pick of the draft. His biggest flaw is he’s 24. Garrett Bolles was 25 by the start of training camp last year. Didn’t stop Denver from taking 20th overall and being the first OT taken in last years draft.

Right. If he was a perfect prospect he wouldn’t be at 19. I just think that I value route running and hands over verticals and bench press. But even still he has a very good 40 and cone time.

I’d like to make a move for Derwin James or Rowland Smith but I LOVE Ridley at 19

DFWJC

Reaction score
Seems to a very polarizing possibility for a player the Cowboys seem to have alot of interest.

I want to hear from you all why we should or shouldnt draft Ridley in the first
A lot of Marvin Harrison in his game

I'd prefer to not take a WR at 19 .
If I was forced to do so, however, he would be the guy.

RandyOh

Reaction score
Right. If he was a perfect prospect he wouldn’t be at 19. I just think that I value route running and hands over verticals and bench press. But even still he has a very good 40 and cone time.

I’d like to make a move for Derwin James or Rowland Smith but I LOVE Ridley at 19
I still like D.J. Moore then Ridley but I understand the appeal of the Cowboys wanting him. I want defense with our 1st round pick but if we are going offense, I want a WR over an OG.

DFWJC

Reaction score
i like E St Brown, could replace Butler and hopefully T Will eventually
best of all he fills the need and doesnt cost a 1st or 2nd pick
St Brown in the 3rd or later would be fine with me. yes
Probably won't last that long, but with about 10 pretty good WRs this year, you never know.

DiResta

Reaction score
the Cowboys have plenty of ammo to move up in the 2nd or early 3rd whichever
they probably wont of course
but they could

DiResta

Reaction score
so if Dallas picks a wr maybe in the 2nd or later this year
picking another early next year would leave them pretty young at the position
say a #1 next year this years pick plus Switzer and hopefully Noah
i would say FA next year but i know better and besides the cost is just crazy

McKDaddy

Reaction score
For:
  • He's only WR that I can give a round 1 grade on.
  • I believe he is capable of beating defenses, thereby keeping them honest & making life easier on rest of offense.
  • He has played at the highest level so he should transition pretty smoothly.
  • It seems clear that the team plans to move on from Dez & remake the receiving core before the 2019 season. Getting a year under his belt would be a good thing.
Against:
  • Not our greatest need, nor most immediate impact
  • Number of receivers who look to be upgrades should be available in later rounds.
  • WR's are difficult to grade & project.
  • Can understand that he is not viewed by many as such an elite talent (ie, Julio) that you can't pass on him

My View: (Assumes Dez is still on team)
  • I would probably pass unless he was clearly BPA when we pick &\or trade down isn't available.
  • I don't believe that will be the case. I think one or more of the Defensive prizes may be there plus I have to put Wynn in the mix if we don't get some ugrades on the Oline prior to draft. (heck, even if we do)
  • I don't have a lot of first round grades this year but i think the frenzy for QB's & maybe one or two other players is going to push value our way.

Reaction score
He's not D.J. Chark. Chark is 6-3, 200, 4.34, 40" vertical, etc. The dude averaged close to 22 yards per catch at LSU last season with a run-first offense, & an average QB. He blew away the Senior Bowl & Combine, & will be the best WR to come out of this draft. Not only is he fast, but he's smooth, has great start-stop ability, & runs crisp routes. I hope the Browns take him at 33, since no one has the sense to project him in the 1st round. He would be a steal there.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
OL is much different then receiver when it comes to age so that's not really a good pick to compare

garyv

Reaction score
My Main Reason to not Draft Ridley is very simple. We have Major needs at DT, LB and Safety. Pick 19 should be used
on major need even if I didn't go one of these 3 I might go OG with Hernandez who might be better than any Defensive
Player for Pound and Ground and Run Clock keep Def on Sideline.In my opinion WR can be had at Pick #50.

reddyuta

Reaction score
I have no problem with Ridley except for the fact that he is 24 already,we are not going to resign a almost 30 year WR after his rookie contract expires.

RandyOh

Reaction score
OL is much different then receiver when it comes to age so that's not really a good pick to compare
same thing you are pounding the table on Ridley, was being said about Bolles last year. Too old, too old, too old. Its not a good comparison for you is what you mean, I get it you don't want the older rookie. Neither do I. Cowboys FO may feel different.

jay94

Reaction score
For me...

Dallas offense let's WR's disappear. It's not a WR problem it's a coaching problem and with Dak instead of Romo it's even worse then it was before.

Now T. Will, who was productive with Romo, is just a nobody now.

Dez is viewed as garbage when in reality if he goes to GB, New Orleans, or New England he would destroy everything in his path there.

So my problem isn't so much with the player it's how involved this player would actually be.

Give me O-line or a Tight End for our offense way before a WR because we will actually use those positions.

Twills stats besides touchdowns have stayed pretty much the same.

jay94

Reaction score
You guys put to much value into second contract, that's when players get paid the most, but if we could have 5 very productive years on the cheap, why not? The first round isn't that great this year and because where we are at I'm perfectly fine with drafting Ridley. Someone mentioned finding receivers in round 4 or later good luck, now other positions yes, but majority of top receivers come from round 1 and 2, now other positions sure, like rb, guard and nt. I would rather have a nose tackle, but since we won't draft one, and the other players I would rather have will be long gone by 19, Ridley is a fine choice.

We should honestly let Zeke go at the end of his contract, look at all the late rounders owning the league on the cheap.

Pants

Reaction score
Alabama players are traditionally WAY less productive in the NFL, don't want ANY alabama players (my personal feeling is that they have a different set of rules and in the NFL, you actually have, you know, rules so they can't enhance their performances as much on a level playing field)....don't want him, nope, nada, nut-uh....