Sell me on why we should/shouldn't draft Calvin Ridley in the first

DFWJC

Reaction score
because one several mocks at bloggingtheboys (https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/201...ombination-of-players-should-the-cowboys-take) say we can get this guy in the second:

Now I wouldn't be against Ridley in first, but you have to consider the possibilities if above guy is there in second and whether you believe he will be there in 2nd round.

MANY think he is not 2nd round worthy.
Doesn't mean he isn't, but just pointing it out.
Some here love him, and he is intriguing.

DFWJC

Reaction score
For:
  • He's only WR that I can give a round 1 grade on.
  • I believe he is capable of beating defenses, thereby keeping them honest & making life easier on rest of offense.
  • He has played at the highest level so he should transition pretty smoothly.
  • It seems clear that the team plans to move on from Dez & remake the receiving core before the 2019 season. Getting a year under his belt would be a good thing.
Against:
  • Not our greatest need, nor most immediate impact
  • Number of receivers who look to be upgrades should be available in later rounds.
  • WR's are difficult to grade & project.
  • Can understand that he is not viewed by many as such an elite talent (ie, Julio) that you can't pass on him

My View: (Assumes Dez is still on team)
  • I would probably pass unless he was clearly BPA when we pick &\or trade down isn't available.
  • I don't believe that will be the case. I think one or more of the Defensive prizes may be there plus I have to put Wynn in the mix if we don't get some ugrades on the Oline prior to draft. (heck, even if we do)
  • I don't have a lot of first round grades this year but i think the frenzy for QB's & maybe one or two other players is going to push value our way.
well said

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
same thing you are pounding the table on Ridley, was being said about Bolles last year. Too old, too old, too old. Its not a good comparison for you is what you mean, I get it you don't want the older rookie. Neither do I. Cowboys FO may feel different.
That's false. Age for OL typical is way longer then receivers. To argue that fact is foolish. By the way I never said anything about Bolles age last year because he was an OL. You can throw crap on the wall but it doesn't work with me pal. You can keep dancing around but I'm done trying to explain a clear and basic concept to you when you either can't or won't understand. Good day to you

RandyOh

Reaction score
That's false. Age for OL typical is way longer then receivers. To argue that fact is foolish. By the way I never said anything about Bolles age last year because he was an OL. You can throw crap on the wall but it doesn't work with me pal. You can keep dancing around but I'm done trying to explain a clear and basic concept to you when you either can't or won't understand. Good day to you
lmao weirdest convo I’ve had on here to date. I think you was fighting with me in your head cause your responses seemed hostile for no reason. Thanks for the entertaining day and be ready for when Ridleys name is called at 19.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
I have no problem with Ridley except for the fact that he is 24 already,we are not going to resign a almost 30 year WR after his rookie contract expires.
Why is that even important at this time? Worrying about second contacts when we all miss projecting what a player will be from last college game to their rookie year seems like an unnecessary concern. If we get the first part right, worry about the second contact later.

jay94

Reaction score
For those wanting elite talent, we need to not be mediocre, we have to flat out suck, THIS JUST IN were not drafting in the TOP TEN.

As for age I think it even means less for a guy like Ridley because how clean he can run routes, look at how long Anquon made it in the league and Fitzgerald and they both ran much slower. He's not a one trick pony like Dez jump ball 50 50 receiver and a few injuries and lost a few steps and now gets next to no separation.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Musts: OL and LB
Needs: S and DL and X/Z WR
Wishes: Hybrid TE and cover CB

OL: G and Swing T; backup C; easiest of draft to obtain say a G and leave Collins there; train a backup G to play C
LB: one Vet FA thumper and two drafted cover LBs; two top LBs then roll the dice
S: FS with range, ball hawker, and tackler; one of top three of draft or vet FA Thomas
D: Edge rusher then 1/3 DT; haven't studied this one
WR: X and/or Y with SL a huge plus. Tall, big, fast,quick, large catch radius, runs good routes, gets separation, scores TDs: 4/7 at least; good luck with that. That's the top WR in the draft and maybe #2-5; top two high picks others roll of dice. hhh They'll find a Vet FA between now and season if they want. Takes up a roster spot though.
TE: About 5 of those all with questions some less than others. Put your dollar down and takes your chance.

Late rounds: trade up bait and an occasional player who needs all the right pieces to fall into place. Here's your chance to get a player cheap with odds about 15% overall R5-7 of contributing some year one.

Loss of Hitchens pushed LB to a must. We have three LB who can start: Lee, Wilson, and Smiths

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
Too much talent available through the first 3-4 rounds to burn a pick on a WR that high. DL and LB depth is also good, but LB is a bit more frontloaded so you may have to pull the trigger on one at 19 if you want one of the top five guys.
O.K.! ,,,I'd be all in on seeing Rd.1 play out in laying down a center / middle pillar support in our defensive foundation at the LB position ,how large of a disparity or drop in talent is there?( in you're opinion) between the #1 & #5 rated LB's in this draft,( I've not took it upon myself to research that,as then I'm not disappointed when my 'guy' falls to a division rival, only after the rodeo,when the fresh draft herd is corralled & branded AT&T stadium stock ,will I look up there ol' address,,, so to speako_O

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
because one several mocks at bloggingtheboys (https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/201...ombination-of-players-should-the-cowboys-take) say we can get this guy in the second:

Now I wouldn't be against Ridley in first, but you have to consider the possibilities if above guy is there in second and whether you believe he will be there in 2nd round.

Oh,man ! I'm in the OG camp in the opening of Rd. #2, (or#3 ) but that's the extent of draft pick capital
( pick= singular) I'm wanting to see in the first 4 RDS funneled offensively

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
All things considered, I would prefer to draft DJ Moore over Ridley. I personally see him as a better fit for Dak Prescott and this team. Steve Smith type of receiver.

Carter

Reaction score
DJ Chark will be the best Receiver of that Class. Mark my words. If he would have had a halfway decent offense that doesnt run the Ball 10000 times a game and an atleast average QB he would be the clear cut #1 Receiver in that Class.

6'3 200 lbs 4,34 40yd 40 Inch vertical. Blew away the Senior Bowl and Combine.

phildadon86

Reaction score
DJ Chark will be the best Receiver of that Class. Mark my words. If he would have had a halfway decent offense that doesnt run the Ball 10000 times a game and an atleast average QB he would be the clear cut #1 Receiver in that Class.

No. No and no.

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Seems to a very polarizing possibility for a player the Cowboys seem to have alot of interest.

I want to hear from you all why we should or shouldnt draft Ridley in the first
sir--- pros and cons...con--might have to trade up to get him...con---not a big receiver...pro-- the guy is most pro-ready receiver in draft maybe...so if you want immediate return on investment he is a good one...i would take either DJ's...Moore or Clark....but the most under radar star in the making is James Washington...dude ran poor 40 in combine..4.54...he usually runs low 4.44 or 4.43....he can jump through the roof...weighs almost 220 so he outmuscles everyone...his catch radius is one of the best...he is very humble too...his work ethic is great and he never gets injured...3 seasons of 1300 + yards and 39 TD's....total...so he is all around receiver threat

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

yes the dude is a stud-freak

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Dane Brugler has me sold on the whole "Perfect Z Receiver for Dak" argument, a WR that runs great routes, gets open and should be a deep threat? yes please......of course the whole slight build and drops thing is a downer but Ill take the chance.....

That said, Id be cool with D.J. Moore....or if we can get Roquan Smith or Derwin James somehow.....
I love Dane but the issue I have with this take is... Dez probably has 2-3 years left in Dallas.
I'm not committing R1 resources to a guy who can play off Dez but can't be a WR1.