Serious Question: Is Dak better now than Romo in his prime?

Big D

Reaction score
HTML:
<PRE>                                                                                                                                                  
                                                                                                        Pass                Rush                 Rece
Rk         Player From   To AV  G   QBrec  Cmp  Att Cmp%   Yds  TD Rate Lng Int  Sk  Yds Y/A AY/A NY/A ANY/A Att  Yds TD Y/A Lng  Rec Yds TD  Y/R Lng
1    Dak Prescott 2016 2021 77 85 53-32-0 1924 2889 66.6 22083 143 98.7  90  50 176 1036 7.6 7.85 6.87  7.07 307 1460 25 4.8  42    1  11  1 11.0  11
2       Tony Romo 2006 2011 72 83 47-30-0 1672 2592 64.5 20834 149 96.9  80  72 142  887 8.0 7.94 7.30  7.20 156  461  4 3.0  17    0  11       0  11
</PRE>

Provided by <a href="https://www.sports-reference.com/sharing.html?utm_source=direct&utm_medium=Share&utm_campaign=ShareTool">Stathead.com</a>: <a href="https://stathead.com/football/pcm_finder.cgi?utm_source=direct&utm_medium=Share&utm_campaign=ShareTool">View Stathead Tool Used</a><br>Generated 6/9/2022.

Here is Dak's career vs the first 6 seasons that Romo actually played. So Romo has the advantage of having 2 years to sit and learn and work on his mechanics and learn the offense while Dak got thrown in.

Dak's numbers are all better.

Per Game Numbers
HTML:
<PRE>                                                                       
                                                        Pass          Rush
Rk         Player From   To  Cmp  Att   Yds  TD Int  Sk  Yds  Att  Yds  TD
1    Dak Prescott 2016 2021 22.6 34.0 259.8 1.7 0.6 2.1 12.2  3.6 17.2 0.3
2       Tony Romo 2006 2011 20.1 31.2 251.0 1.8 0.9 1.7 10.7  1.9  5.6 0.0
</PRE>

Provided by <a href="https://www.sports-reference.com/sharing.html?utm_source=direct&utm_medium=Share&utm_campaign=ShareTool">Stathead.com</a>: <a href="https://stathead.com/football/pcm_finder.cgi?utm_source=direct&utm_medium=Share&utm_campaign=ShareTool">View Stathead Tool Used</a><br>Generated 6/9/2022.

PLAYOFFS /Jim Mora voice

HTML:
<PRE>                                                                                                                  
                                                                                            Pass                Rush
Rk         Player From   To G QBrec Cmp Att Cmp%  Yds TD Rate Lng Int Sk Yds Y/A AY/A NY/A ANY/A  Att Yds TD Y/A Lng
1    Dak Prescott 2016 2021 4 1-3-0  89 146 61.0 1048  6 87.9  44   3  9  69 7.2 7.08 6.32  6.22   14  72  3 5.1  17
2       Tony Romo 2006 2009 4 1-3-0  80 135 59.3  832  4 80.8  36   2 12  98 6.2 6.09 4.99  4.93    7  21  0 3.0  11
</PRE>

Dak doesn't pass their 'eye test' :laugh:

Reactions: Ken

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Dak was 19th is passing yards (right behind Wentz), 16 in passing TDs (tied with Blake Bortles:lmao:), and 24th in yards per game (right behind Miami Dolphins version Ryan Tennenhill).....

Zeke was 1st in rushing yards (by over THREE HUNDRED YARD), 3rd in rushing TDs, and 1st in yards per game....

The Cowboys had THREE, yes THREE, 1st team all-pro linemen...

Yeah, but rookie Dak, NOT rookie Zeke was the catalyst in 2016, right? :lmao::lmao::lmao:

I'm not going to bash Romo I like him but the fact is Dak was not handed a winning team, he was handed a team that went 4-12 that fact you don't have to like it but it is what it is. I agree it is a team effort that lead to the 13-3 but they were still 13-3 with Dak behind center.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
I’m sorry, but why? Why do we keep torturing ourselves and being more and more decisive with these Dak posts. This same question has been posted numerous times every year going back to 2016. Why? It doesn’t even matter. No offense to the original poster…this is more about the totality of years of the same arguments.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
iiuL40B.gif

blueblood70

Reaction score
Romo also walked into a situation with Terrell Owens, Terry Glenn, and Jason Witten to throw to, a strong line, and Marion Barber in the backfield. The talent around Romo didn't start to deteriorate until 2011.
he was also an UDFA form very small school not 4th rounder from the SEC. Romo had to learn and adjust from far lower point than dak.

its close

very close

almost a tie but ill take Romos ability pre-snap and making audibles plus a bit better as a pocket passer over Dak, barely. Romo ability to be more patient in the pocket ie climb the pocket, move within the pocket while looking downfield before feeling to need to bail is why i choose him..

John813

Reaction score
To me, they are roughly the same with different pros and cons.

Romo would blow games by trying too much and turning the ball over. Prescott at times would be too cautious/hesitant.

Neither has done much, yet. At least Prescott has multiple years left before his book is written and published.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
really because you and other blast Dak for any loss.
Even if we use a team stat like W/L as some kind of barometer to judge Romo and Dak...

According to PPR:

Romo's led the Cowboys to a 78-49 record. That's a 61% winning percentage.

Dak's led the Cowboys to a 53-32 record. That's a 62% winning percentage.

WOW. a whole 1% better. Dak is so much greater than Romo, huh?

Let's look at playoffs now:

Dak's led the Cowboys to a 1-3 record. That's a 25% winning percentage.

Romo led the Cowboys to a 2-4 record. That's a 33% winning percentage.

Romo led teams gave got him there....

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
This is bologna
I was a huge fan, but to chop one down to hoist the other in a different era is silly talk. There are multiple examples that prove my statement. All it takes is watching the games. That's what you get from a Gunslinger.
A fair fan would have the ability to examine games from the two and still be a fan of them both and the team, instead of providing countless excuses one way and not the other.
Which is par for the course here.

dacoming

Reaction score
Anyone with two active brain cells would say no. Simple question? Who would you build a team around?

Romo was by FAR the better quarterback. To think otherwise is complete lunacy and comical. The people who solely blame him for all the late game int would be your small brain posters. Simply look at the bigger picture and it's remarkable what he did with the teams he had bar a year or two

Romo picked up and made alot of average players look good. Many left Dallas to go on to do nothing else. He also practically ran his own offense per ex teammates. He got tons of hate for his picks at the end of the game however it's going to happen when you carry trash defenses for the majority of your career.

Romo had what 23 or 24 comeback victories between 2006 - 2015 leading the nfl. Lead ALL quarterbacks in the 4th quarter and overtime passer rating during that span. His cowboys defense from 2010 on gave up more 30+ games besides two other teams. Let's not forget quarterbacks such as Brady, Rivers and etc had more game ending plays then Romo from 2011 on. Romo also had overall good postseason stats.

In those 8-8 seasons the only reason we come close to .500 is because of Romo. Majority of other quarterbacks would of barely won 4-5 games with those trash teams. If Romo didn't waste his career in Dallas and played for an actual football organization no doubt in my mind he would be a superbowl champion easily.

Dak was handed a silver plater

Now I hate posting stats as the go to argument so I was posted during his era vs all quarterbacks. Dak is still young and can improve greatly. To early to tell but as of right now absolutely not.
100% agree, I've been saying this for years! Defense and coaching often held the team back. When you're forced to throw as much as Romo was the chances of a pick increase. I'd rather my QB go down trying to win than playing conservative to protect stats. Look at the no name receivers he got big contracts for. Rico Gathers would have one too if Romo would have got his job back. He gets so much grief because he was QB of the Cowboys.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
In the grand scheme, they’re about the same.

Romo did some things better, Dak others. But when you zoom out, everything ends up looking eerily similar.
This is pretty accurate, they're different types of QBs, but very close in ability and performance.
What some fans fail to do is admit it's a 53 man roster and a bazillion factors involved with winning games. It's not one on one.

blueblood70

Reaction score
To me, they are roughly the same with different pros and cons.

Romo would blow games by trying too much and turning the ball over. Prescott at times would be too cautious/hesitant.

Neither has done much, yet. At least Prescott has multiple years left before his book is written and published.
I agree, thats fair.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
100% agree, I've been saying this for years! Defense and coaching often held the team back. When you're forced to throw as much as Romo was the chances of a pick increase. I'd rather my QB go down trying to win than playing conservative to protect stats. Look at the no name receivers he got big contracts for. Rico Gathers would have one too if Romo would have got his job back. He gets so much grief because he was QB of the Cowboys.
We had the #1 offense last season, what was our defense ranked? Special teams? You think our coaching is better currently?

Big D

Reaction score
NFCE wasn't the worst division, we just piss pounded the East more than the rest of the NFL.
How is that some kind of point to trash the current, No. 1 ranked offense?

Guess who had more passing yards last season: Dallas or LA Rams?
Guess who had more TDs?
Who had Aaron Donald?

Reactions: G2

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
BS you go after Dak on a daily basis so save the fair and balance non sense.
Would you prefer me to go after the QB that hasn't played a snap in 6 years? Would that make you feel better?

When Dak is gone I'll do the same to the next QB if he plays bad, puts up empty numbers, and leads us to nothing. In fact, I'll probably wind up defending Dak when "fans" like you start acting like the new QB is SOOOOO MUCH better than Dak when you compare his empty stats to Daks.

That's what ya'll do, it's the flavor of the week type of thing for ya'll, you hop on whoever the current QB is bandwagon and anyone is fair game as long as you defend the new flavor of the week.

And you guys have nerve to act all high and mighty like your better fans for it.

Ken

Reaction score
Dak couldn’t carry Romo’s jock strap. Romo was better in his first year stating than Dak has ever been at his peak. Romo was better in E. Illinois, and I didn’t even watch him play, than peak Dak.

Did you actually not witness Jason Garrett as the play-caller in NY? Since she did Dak ever play with Jason Garrett calling plays, let alone with garbage blocking, Dak would last about 1 game in that world. Dak running 2 WRs sets as their base offense. Are you kidding me?

A QB that took 1 week to throw a TD in training camp in year 3, in year 7 of an offense streamlined to his mediocre skill-set that required WRs open on their 1 or 2 read, a guy who was setting QC records in futility here when he had average WRs, was a complete joke when Zeke was suspended and so on…
There he is, Mr. Alternate Reality himself.

Unbelievable. :facepalm:

Reactions: G2

Ken

Reaction score
With the year Zeke had yes I believe they go farther and have better record. SB who knows TR would of been better but his track record in playoffs was not good either. Be honest Dak was the ultimate bus driver that year and a rookie who rode Zeke and a very good O. Zeke should have been ROY in 2016. Would it have been different with TR nobody knows but Jerry made his call and went cheap but that’s a discussion for another day.
Romo didn't take us anywhere in 2014 with Offensive Player of the Year Demarco Murray?

Ken

Reaction score
he was also an UDFA form very small school not 4th rounder from the SEC. Romo had to learn and adjust from far lower point than dak.

its close

very close

almost a tie but ill take Romos ability pre-snap and making audibles plus a bit better as a pocket passer over Dak, barely. Romo ability to be more patient in the pocket ie climb the pocket, move within the pocket while looking downfield before feeling to need to bail is why i choose him..
I don't agree with this.

Yes, Dak played a much higher level of comp but he also didn't take any snaps from under center and was raw.

Romo had inferior comp but played in a pro style offense.