Should Dak Reduce His Salary To Allow Team To Sign Free Agents

fivetwos

Reaction score
Much of it will have to do with how the contact is structured.
Say a 4 year extension, so is it best to front load it this time. Still a bit more of a cap hit than we would all want. However, the last 2 or 3 years it would be easier to move on from it with less of a hit. As it is this year.

He can be here for 2 years then move on, as opposed to 5 years.
So 2 more years of 1 and done, or 5 years of 1 and done?
Yes most prefer 1 or even zero years, but that is not going to happen.

I say if they can swing it, put off future contacts if they can. Because if he is going to get $60 million may as well let him get it this year then go from there.
At this point the amount of years, dead money, void years, cap space, etc…is beyond what I can reasonably comprehend.

Doesn’t much matter since they are going to do whatever they are going to do.

I don’t blame fans for wanting to move on. I also don’t blame management for not wanting to fully tear it down at the moment.

No man’s land is a lot of fun.

Cmac

Reaction score
Not a problem.

I would take less in a heartbeat if it meant being a super bowl contender. Now, here's the caveat. I'd sign a contract for less w/ the phrase that Jerry has to pay me 200 million if we don't make a super bowl in 5 years.
Can Dak do caveats since you got 'em? Really? C'mon back the lifeguard is blowing the whistle on that one. Out there too far.

kskboys

Reaction score
Can Dak do caveats since you got 'em? Really? C'mon back the lifeguard is blowing the whistle on that one. Out there too far.
Sure, but do you understand exaggeration to make a point? If I'm Dak, I wouldn't mind giving Jerry a discount, but only if I'm assured we become super bowl contenders. I'm not giving a discount for us to sign more CB's and WR's and TE's. The D absolutely has to be better, and JAGs are not going to make it better.

What's your idea to MAKE Jerry give the team what it needs? Tony Romo would not renegotiate w/ Jerry until Jerry agreed on a 1st round C. That brought us Fredsy. Romo was tired of the middle of the DLine getting pushed back into his lap at the snap.

JustChip

Reaction score
This is not based in reality.

Tom Brady, on his fourth contract and married to a billionaire, took a bit less than the highest contract in the league.

That’s the lone example.

No other QB has ever turned down the bag. Can they structure it in a friendly way? Sure. But the money is the money. Dak’s 12th highest paid now. Assuming they sign him, his avg annual will go up.

Goff is gonna get paid.
Purdy is gonna get paid.
And the world will keep on turning.
Honestly, why should they? There’s no guarantee a team will use the money intelligently, or at all.

There’s also the “a rising tide lifts all boats” pressure. An escalated QB contract lifts all subsequent QB contracts.

Havic

Reaction score
Restructure or ride the bench into your final season.

Brooksey

Reaction score
This is not based in reality.

Tom Brady, on his fourth contract and married to a billionaire, took a bit less than the highest contract in the league.

That’s the lone example.

No other QB has ever turned down the bag. Can they structure it in a friendly way? Sure. But the money is the money. Dak’s 12th highest paid now. Assuming they sign him, his avg annual will go up.

Goff is gonna get paid.
Purdy is gonna get paid.
And the world will keep on turning.
Goff and Purdy are advancing in the playoffs. Dak was doing some weird freeze up, panic choke job act.

Keep acting like it didn't happen.

Kwyn

Reaction score
Goff and Purdy are advancing in the playoffs. Dak was doing some weird freeze up, panic choke job act.

Keep acting like it didn't happen.
What are you talking about?

Goff and Purdy have nothing to do with this except people (you) keep bringing them up.

This is about the cap and how QBs are paid.

Both of those dudes are gonna get paid and their teams will have to manage huge contracts that challenge their cap for years. Neither will do anything but take the biggest bag they can get.

Dak choking has little to do with his contract. If he extends it’s gonna be huge. If he doesn’t, the cap hit will be huge.

You can complain about what we’re getting for the money but that’s not about QBs taking below market deals. It’s never in the players interest to do so. Players influence their cap impact by being willing to renegotiate every few years, not by taking big pay cuts.

Brooksey

Reaction score
What are you talking about?

Goff and Purdy have nothing to do with this except people (you) keep bringing them up.

This is about the cap and how QBs are paid.

Both of those dudes are gonna get paid and their teams will have to manage huge contracts that challenge their cap for years. Neither will do anything but take the biggest bag they can get.

Dak choking has little to do with his contract. If he extends it’s gonna be huge. If he doesn’t, the cap hit will be huge.

You can complain about what we’re getting for the money but that’s not about QBs taking below market deals. It’s never in the players interest to do so. Players influence their cap impact by being willing to renegotiate every few years, not by taking big pay cuts.
I know post season performance doesn't matter. Keep telling yourself that.
Dak's cap hit in 2024 is 59k, if we cut him it's 25k, a 35k savings.

We need a team friendly deal

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
All these stars making enough money for 7 generations, they cannot even spend in a normal life all the money they make each year. Why make so much that their team cannot afford great players at other positions?

Dak's salary is impeding the Boys' ability to bringing in free agent impact starters. The draft alone has not brought the Boys to the big game. They must supplement their draft picks, undrafted free agents with impact players who are free agents who fill an immediate need for the team, or trades that are steals.

Lots of you will say Dak will never do it, reduce his salary, but my suggestion is the only possible way to improve the team.

Jimmy Johnson knew he needed more talent. He brought in Plan B free agents Jay Novacek and James Washington. He traded for guard John Gesek, DE Charles Haley, safety Thomas Everritt and DT Tony Casillas. He received a treasure of draft picks for Herschel Walker who had led the NFC in rushing in 1988. He knew the team's weaknesses and always made moves to improve.

Our 2023 team did not have enough talent to make it to the top. Porous run defense, not enough run stuffing LB's, average run blocking OL. We need more than a draft to get this team over the malaise of the past 28 or so years.
Daks hit this year was less than $15 mil. Please tell me how that restricted Jerry from signing starter free agents when other Cowboys players hit was higher.

Folks, don’t take what anyone says here as gospel. Do your own research.

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
He's looking for his second and likely final bag, which has an LV on it. He's not taking a paycut, he wants a great big fat raise. People thinking he's taking some team friendly deal are tapped in the head. It ain't happnin. Wants Mahomes' 6 AFCCG appearances money for a 2-5 playoff record.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Such a BS idea that comes up all the time.
Would you volunteer to take a big pay cut for the good of a company that is poorly run in the name of winning? This is Jerry Jones’s company, one that could have won big more than a few times with Romo and with Dak if he just would have spent on receivers or OL or defense or made sure he had quality RBs.
So now an employee should take a hit in the name of winning? I don’t care what you think of Dak, you have to be a Jerry Jones butt kissing company man to think any player should do that.

MikeyJones214

Reaction score
People are looking at this from the perspective of being a "lover" or a "hater" of Dak Prescott but if you remove Dak from this scenario and replace him with Brock Purdy, how many of us would want the Dallas Cowboys to pay Brock Purdy (at his current level) 60$M a year knowing that we have to go cheap at other positions on the roster?

Probably very few ...

This isn't calculus here, if you pay a QB like Brock Purdy top Dollar, your team will suck.

The only reason teams like the 2000s bucaneers and the legion of Boom were successful with middling to good QB play was because the overall roster was Legendary thanks to having resources (salary cap) to spend.

Having said all that, the Cowboys will pay Dak. Not because they want to succeed but because the average Cowboys fan doesn't post on this board and are casuals that are are satisfied with stats and relevance...

From a business or entertainment pov, I can understand the Cowboys paying Dak but history has shown he will never win anything here

Cmac

Reaction score
Sure, but do you understand exaggeration to make a point? If I'm Dak, I wouldn't mind giving Jerry a discount, but only if I'm assured we become super bowl contenders. I'm not giving a discount for us to sign more CB's and WR's and TE's. The D absolutely has to be better, and JAGs are not going to make it better.

What's your idea to MAKE Jerry give the team what it needs? Tony Romo would not renegotiate w/ Jerry until Jerry agreed on a 1st round C. That brought us Fredsy. Romo was tired of the middle of the DLine getting pushed back into his lap at the snap.
I think I need to fact check about Romo doing such for the center. Never heard that ever. But I'll fact check......hope it's true.... or it will get shoved into the Romo folklore on here. As for Dak, he simply needs to restructure and that can be worked during the extension......butt discount will not be the language used......restructure will.

Kwyn

Reaction score
I know post season performance doesn't matter. Keep telling yourself that.
Dak's cap hit in 2024 is 59k, if we cut him it's 25k, a 35k savings.

We need a team friendly deal
Cut him, extend him, trade him, whatever, but expecting QBs to take “team friendly deals” is fantasy.

kskboys

Reaction score
Such a BS idea that comes up all the time.
Would you volunteer to take a big pay cut for the good of a company that is poorly run in the name of winning? This is Jerry Jones’s company, one that could have won big more than a few times with Romo and with Dak if he just would have spent on receivers or OL or defense or made sure he had quality RBs.
So now an employee should take a hit in the name of winning? I don’t care what you think of Dak, you have to be a Jerry Jones butt kissing company man to think any player should do that.
Yes, I would. If it was going to make the poorly run company better.

Not everything is about money. I'd have to be happy working there first.

kskboys

Reaction score
I think I need to fact check about Romo doing such for the center. Never heard that ever. But I'll fact check......hope it's true.... or it will get shoved into the Romo folklore on here. As for Dak, he simply needs to restructure and that can be worked during the extension......butt discount will not be the language used......restructure will.
It was big news at the time. No idea if it's recorded anywhere, I don't watch the idiots on the tube much, and you can find anything on the internet.