Should Dak Reduce His Salary To Allow Team To Sign Free Agents

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
Cowboy fans have crapped all over Dak. If he questions it his agent will simply pull up some old tweets and ask why. He's not taking a discount, nor even considering one.
It hurts me how bad it has got for the Dakster. get that money boy.
"you don't question a mans money"

SackMaster

Reaction score
Dak's salary is impeding the Boys' ability to bringing in free agent impact starters.
I've got to ask ... What about when Dak was on his rookie contract and the Cowboys didn't sign any "impact starters" in Free Agency?

Or better yet, how about the 20+ years between the last Super Bowl appearance and Dak being drafted. How many "impact starters" did the Cowboys sign in Free Agency?

I mean, out of the group of Post Super Bowl era signings, TO would be by far the best the Cowboys have signed.

Then you have a huge drop off to the likes of:
  • Ken Hamlin
  • Leonard Davis
  • Kyle Kosier
  • La'Roi Glover
  • Darren McFadden
  • Keith Brooking
  • Zach Thomas
  • Anthony Henry
  • Brandon Carr
With the Top-Notch signing like those, all Pre-Dak BTW, how in the hell did we not get another Lombardi for the past 27+ years?
:huh:

kskboys

Reaction score
All these stars making enough money for 7 generations, they cannot even spend in a normal life all the money they make each year. Why make so much that their team cannot afford great players at other positions?

Dak's salary is impeding the Boys' ability to bringing in free agent impact starters. The draft alone has not brought the Boys to the big game. They must supplement their draft picks, undrafted free agents with impact players who are free agents who fill an immediate need for the team, or trades that are steals.

Lots of you will say Dak will never do it, reduce his salary, but my suggestion is the only possible way to improve the team.

Jimmy Johnson knew he needed more talent. He brought in Plan B free agents Jay Novacek and James Washington. He traded for guard John Gesek, DE Charles Haley, safety Thomas Everritt and DT Tony Casillas. He received a treasure of draft picks for Herschel Walker who had led the NFC in rushing in 1988. He knew the team's weaknesses and always made moves to improve.

Our 2023 team did not have enough talent to make it to the top. Porous run defense, not enough run stuffing LB's, average run blocking OL. We need more than a draft to get this team over the malaise of the past 28 or so years.
Absolutely. Unless he cares about nothing but himself.

Philmonroe

Reaction score
All these stars making enough money for 7 generations, they cannot even spend in a normal life all the money they make each year. Why make so much that their team cannot afford great players at other positions?

Dak's salary is impeding the Boys' ability to bringing in free agent impact starters. The draft alone has not brought the Boys to the big game. They must supplement their draft picks, undrafted free agents with impact players who are free agents who fill an immediate need for the team, or trades that are steals.

Lots of you will say Dak will never do it, reduce his salary, but my suggestion is the only possible way to improve the team.

Jimmy Johnson knew he needed more talent. He brought in Plan B free agents Jay Novacek and James Washington. He traded for guard John Gesek, DE Charles Haley, safety Thomas Everritt and DT Tony Casillas. He received a treasure of draft picks for Herschel Walker who had led the NFC in rushing in 1988. He knew the team's weaknesses and always made moves to improve.

Our 2023 team did not have enough talent to make it to the top. Porous run defense, not enough run stuffing LB's, average run blocking OL. We need more than a draft to get this team over the malaise of the past 28 or so years.
I don’t even like Dak as qb but think he should try to get as much as he can. I wouldn’t pay it but I don’t like this logic when the owners are making waaaaayyy more money and not a person says a thing about that. It reeks of hypocrisy and jealousy to me and I don’t agree with it.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Talking about his contract/salary has become extremely tiring. Fans have become overly consumed with it. :rolleyes:

Chasing6

Reaction score

No player sacrificed their paycheck in the 90's to help us win the SB. No reason to with no Salary cap.

Chasing6

Reaction score

Should Dak sacrifice millions of his $'s to help a billionaire owner, fix the the mistakes he has made with the roster?

Really???

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

Give him what he wants. Hell, give him the whole salary cap...it's not going to make a difference in the long run, and The Dak don't play that game.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Give him what he wants. Hell, give him the whole salary cap...it's not going to make a difference in the long run, and The Dak don't play that game.
Well he should have 100% of the salary, since he gets 100% of the blame for all the losses. Sounds fair to me.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Because it eats up a lot of CAP space
only a football fool would not be concerned about it
Only a football fool would want to move on from their franchise QB who was in the MVP race and led them to three straight 12-5 seasons with two division title’s because of cap space.

65fastback2plus2

Reaction score
Apparently some aren't aware, but Dak already restructured once to allow more cap space (he and Zach Martin both did a year ago). He clearly is willing to work with the team on that.

To be clear, it's not a pay cut, it's restructuring how the contract is paid. That's how it works with anyone, not just Dak. He still has one year left on that contract.
LOL. Thats literally getting MORE money. Not less.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Well he should have 100% of the salary, since he gets 100% of the blame for all the losses. Sounds fair to me.
Hell, yes! Give him the Stajum too! Dak has never been the player to lose a game for the Cowboys, it's all them other stupid guys around him.

Sounds fair to me, besides, he needs a new car or 12.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
NO! Troy or Romo didn't do it .......just me, it's not the player's job to manage to cap. Besides, you can argue Brady is the only QB to actually accept less than his value. Read a nugget from a well-known agent that there is no such thing as a discount but players will structure their guaranteed money or signing bonuses in a way to help teams but they rarely take less.

If you want me to defer some $$$ to sign other players,.....sure, but I still expect every dollar owed to me (LOL)

MikeT22

Reaction score
This is not based in reality.

Tom Brady, on his fourth contract and married to a billionaire, took a bit less than the highest contract in the league.

That’s the lone example.

No other QB has ever turned down the bag. Can they structure it in a friendly way? Sure. But the money is the money. Dak’s 12th highest paid now. Assuming they sign him, his avg annual will go up.

Goff is gonna get paid.
Purdy is gonna get paid.
And the world will keep on turning.
Goff has been to a SB and now a 2nd NFCCG. Purdy in year 2 is in his 2nd NFCCG and one of these will be in the SB.

Meanwhile in Dallas…

Chasing6

Reaction score
Goff has been to a SB and now a 2nd NFCCG. Purdy in year 2 is in his 2nd NFCCG and one of these will be in the SB.

Meanwhile in Dallas…
Meanwhile in Dallas is Jeruh's world. He is winning. #1 most valued franchise in the world.

dagreat1_87

Reaction score
Nope, he shouldn't. I'm not even a Dak fan but it's not his responsibility to do that. Not his fault that instead of providing him with quality free agents, they gave crazy contract extensions to players like Jaylon Smith.

The premise of that is crazy. You take less than market value so we can make another player from outside the team the highest paid at their position.

Kwyn

Reaction score

Meanwhile in Dallas…
You’re not arguing the same point

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
It's hard out here and rich people aren't looking to go back if they came from a bad place so no, no QB is taking a discount. As a matter of fact, quite the opposite. Owners thought they were slick, and I guess they were when they put the salary cap in. Now they can make so much more money not having to spend on salary's. Not only that, they can make excuses to their fans, we're up against the cap. The cap is the single most devastating thing that happened to the Cowboys in history.