Should Dallas just go ahead and tank?

foofighters

Reaction score
This may be a hot take, but I'm being dead serious. Look at the way we have played against real contending teams. If we even do sniff the playoffs, who's to say we won't slip up and shoot ourselves in the foot again? This Dallas team has already been exposed through the defense (Teams that actually scheme, aka Playoff teams, know that all they have to do is run their RB through the middle or around our line). Playoff teams will pick us apart in the matter of seconds. Garrett will not scheme or game plan for any of these games. So what would be the point of it all? To go to the playoffs just to get blown out and exposed for the 20 gabillionth year in a row that we can't even make it to the NFC Championship with talented rosters throughout the years? Why get such a low first pick knowing darn well this team isn't capable of a Super Bowl? Why not just tank? JG will get fired and we get a higher draft pick. It's a win win situation. Thoughts?
You do realize that Jerry is our GM and Garrett is our HC, right? Nothing will change no matter who our draft picks are.

Bleedblue1111

Reaction score
This may be a hot take, but I'm being dead serious. Look at the way we have played against real contending teams. If we even do sniff the playoffs, who's to say we won't slip up and shoot ourselves in the foot again? This Dallas team has already been exposed through the defense (Teams that actually scheme, aka Playoff teams, know that all they have to do is run their RB through the middle or around our line). Playoff teams will pick us apart in the matter of seconds. Garrett will not scheme or game plan for any of these games. So what would be the point of it all? To go to the playoffs just to get blown out and exposed for the 20 gabillionth year in a row that we can't even make it to the NFC Championship with talented rosters throughout the years? Why get such a low first pick knowing darn well this team isn't capable of a Super Bowl? Why not just tank? JG will get fired and we get a higher draft pick. It's a win win situation. Thoughts?
giphy.gif

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nearly a quarter century of postseason/Super Bowl competing futility is increasingly converting certain Dallas Cowboys fans' mindset into that shared by the Miami Dolphins.

Thanks Jerry Jones.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
wow 20 plus years and still fans have a problem.

ok, listen, Dallas doesnt do tanking, it does mediocrity. which means you dont tank for a high pick, we shoot for middle of the road and hope for a "meh" player.

if we do have a low pick in the first round, we tend to pick players that give us a good year or a few good games and we anoint them to the HoF immediately.

we wont tank for the sake of it nor will we strive, we ll just be middle of the pack and the fans will do the rest.

Fans: anyone who says anything bad based on fact is a hater. Its not JGs fault, that ref hates Dallas, he said so long before he was born. its not JG, its the talent on the field now. 8-8 is better than 5-11. Whats so special about the playoffs , you re stupid. Dak doesnt have to be better, he just needs to keep it even. You dont play to your heights you play down to your opponent.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
wow 20 plus years and still fans have a problem.

ok, listen, Dallas doesnt do tanking, it does mediocrity. which means you dont tank for a high pick, we shoot for middle of the road and hope for a "meh" player.

if we do have a low pick in the first round, we tend to pick players that give us a good year or a few good games and we anoint them to the HoF immediately.

we wont tank for the sake of it nor will we strive, we ll just be middle of the pack and the fans will do the rest.

Fans: anyone who says anything bad based on fact is a hater. Its not JGs fault, that ref hates Dallas, he said so long before he was born. its not JG, its the talent on the field now. 8-8 is better than 5-11. Whats so special about the playoffs , you re stupid. Dak doesnt have to be better, he just needs to keep it even. You dont play to your heights you play down to your opponent.
One thing I know. Every time I give up and want the team to tank they go on a mini-winning streak. That's JG's Cowboys. lol

the_h0wey

Reaction score

This is probably the dumbest opinion I have ever read during the 15 years I have been on this forum. Congratulations

coult44

Reaction score

Is this “Phillyfanatic” This is one of the reasons Dallas fans get such bad reps..

coult44

Reaction score

If I were a Mod, this thread might create a new banning rule

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score

Please, enlighten us as to how this tanking would be executed.

Bench as many starters as possible? That'll go over well in the locker room and media.
Stop game planning for opponents? That'll sit well with the coaching staff.
I know! Trade as many starters as possible!

People talk about "tanking" like the owner is going to call a meeting with coaches and players and tell them to stop trying. :muttley:

Coaches and players don't spend all week wondering what their draft pick will be next April if they lose - only fans do that. The Cowboys are too good to tank barring something ridiculous like the three examples listed, and no one from the owner on down shares your sense of hopelessness, especially not after 5 games. So yes, as some have already expressed, this thread seems rather silly.

MysteryIceGuro

Reaction score
Please, enlighten us as to how this tanking would be executed.

Bench as many starters as possible? That'll go over well in the locker room and media.
Stop game planning for opponents? That'll sit well with the coaching staff.
I know! Trade as many starters as possible!

People talk about "tanking" like the owner is going to call a meeting with coaches and players and tell them to stop trying. :muttley:

Coaches and players don't spend all week wondering what their draft pick will be next April if they lose - only fans do that. The Cowboys are too good to tank barring something ridiculous like the three examples listed, and no one from the owner on down shares your sense of hopelessness, especially not after 5 games. So yes, as some have already expressed, this thread seems rather silly.

This team never game planned for opponents in the first place, so we got the first step down it appears.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Only reason you do this is if you believe that you need to go get a QB. If you believe Dak is our future, then there is no reason, at all, to do this. However, gotta be mindful that we are already behind the Jets, Fins and Bengals on the tanking strategy.

75boyz

Reaction score

My response to the Why don’t we just trade Zeke at deadline was a reassurance to the OP that I had even more extreme hypothetical thoughts than he in that I was already in “Tank for Tua” mode.

Even at 3-2. With 11 games to play. Still leading the division.

Honestly, would rather a fast forward to the regular season and see this team against the best 6 NFC representatives in a win or go home scenario then all the “enjoy the regular season journey” stuff.

No big suspensions to start(Quinn if you want to count him but did not affect W-L)

No Linehan, supposedly a plus

Full offseason with Coop

An obvious upgrade in complimentary RB2 to spell Zeke

Start seasons 3-0 like gangbusters and stars realign again schedule wise..,No Brees...
Then a banged up Pack without their WR1

And here we are
Teams, QBs and coaches left to be played slightly challenging to my amateur eyes all things considered that I know of this team and it’s recent history

My Hope strategy still flickers

NeathBlue

Reaction score
The fact you’re saying you’re being dead serious about this thread, leads me to think you’re in need of some sort of professional help... and I’m being dead serious.

LittleD

Reaction score
We won't have to try and tank...The schedule we have left will naturally force us to the bottom of the pickle barrel.
Our defense stinks and the offense reeks. Oh, and the coaches are jags.