Should Dallas just go ahead and tank?

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The OP avatar is still confusing. Cap did not quit against Red Skull, Hydra, the Avengers, Loki, Ultron and even Thanos. Cap doesn't quit.

Maybe it's Prescott's head...

ajk23az

Through Pain Comes Clarity
Reaction score
This may be a hot take, but I'm being dead serious. Look at the way we have played against real contending teams. If we even do sniff the playoffs, who's to say we won't slip up and shoot ourselves in the foot again? This Dallas team has already been exposed through the defense (Teams that actually scheme, aka Playoff teams, know that all they have to do is run their RB through the middle or around our line). Playoff teams will pick us apart in the matter of seconds. Garrett will not scheme or game plan for any of these games. So what would be the point of it all? To go to the playoffs just to get blown out and exposed for the 20 gabillionth year in a row that we can't even make it to the NFC Championship with talented rosters throughout the years? Why get such a low first pick knowing darn well this team isn't capable of a Super Bowl? Why not just tank? JG will get fired and we get a higher draft pick. It's a win win situation. Thoughts?

What a pathetic thought process you have.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
It's too late to tank this year. after five games there are still multiple teams without a win those guys are going to take all the good spots.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Every year we get these goofy threads from loser mentality fans.
But going this early is even worse than normal.

Your talking to a fan base that was raised up by parents who thought it was a good idea to give children footlong Metal tipped Darts. The idea was to throw them up in the air and land them in a small circle............

I mean, I get what you are saying but it's kinda hard for me to find them 100% culpable for this type of questionable decision making process BP.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
So you think it's stupid for a barely above average team to try and go up against half the NFC that is better than them, just to get a (possible) 20th+ draft pick and for Garrett to stay on the Cowboys?

I do think that Garrett will be gone if we can't manage to get past the NFC Division round. Jerry's got to know he hasn't got much time left. Last year, Houston's owner died. Just recently, Bidwell (Cards owner) died. He's got to realise this. I don't think tanking will do the trick, especially as the Phins, Broncos, Skins, Steelers, Bengals, Falcons, and Jets are far ahead of us on that front. Plus, we are still tied for first in the division. So, I'd like to see how this season plays out. If we manage to turn it around like we did last year, and really improve, we could be pleasantly surprised. What I want this team to do is see if the Bengals will take a 3rd round pick for Geno Adkins (their DT). If we manage to pluck him away, we'll significantly improve our run stopping ability and have a very solid 1T. This will improve our defence. I think the problem is that everyone knows we struggle against the run, so this is the best way to fix our defence in the mean time.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
No.

First thing you try to do is get out of this slump.

If that doesn't work very soon, you then start to seriously consider letting the HC go, but you need to have ideas ready to be put into place if you decide to go that route. You don't just fire the HC without half a clue about what your going to do next.

Losing time and or just throwing time away is not a good idea.

Tanking might be ok when you are 2-12 and you want the 1st pick and you need to finish 2-14 to get it.

Exactly right. The first thing we have to do is figure out a way to put a stop to the losing and turn the season around. I think the problem with our defence is that we can't stop the run, so, by the time our defence does ultimately stop the other team, our offence usually is facing a 60-80 possibly 90+ yard drive. This makes it harder for any offence to successfully drive in the NFL time and time again. Usually, the defence is going to catch on to the offence and sort out a way to stop the offence on long drives. And, when your offence is consistently doing that, eventually, you're going to run out of ideas and load up on tired players. Plus, it tires out the defence making them susceptible to giving up big plays later. In essence, teams are giving our defence a taste of its own medicine with what we are supposed to do to teams, and it's working. So, to fix it, I think we should try to trade for a very good 1T DT such as Geno Atkins (Bengals DT) for a 3, Josh Tupou (Bengals DT) for a 5, or Kyle Peko of the Bills for a 5. This would allow us a better ability to stop the run, thus, giving our defence a better ability to clamp down and stop opposing teams. Also, a really good 1T can push the pocket meaning the QB won't be able to escape up the middle. Therefore, Quinn and Tank should be able to track down the QB who will be helpless to escape.

I'd also look at trying to pluck some players from other team's PS that are 1T if we don't want to give up draft picks. Examples would be Bills DT Vincent Taylor, Ufomba Kamalu (Pats DT on their PS), or John Atkins (Lions DT). Thus, they could do a similar job without using up a draft pick. This would help turn around the slump and team and turn a weakness into a stable position for now/a band-aid until the draft.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
nope....literally 5 games into the season, have a winning record and people talking tanking? This is why other fans hate dallas fans...

Yup

18b.jpg

Sarek

Povar
Reaction score
Exactly right. The first thing we have to do is figure out a way to put a stop to the losing and turn the season around. I think the problem with our defence is that we can't stop the run, so, by the time our defence does ultimately stop the other team, our offence usually is facing a 60-80 possibly 90+ yard drive. This makes it harder for any offence to successfully drive in the NFL time and time again. Usually, the defence is going to catch on to the offence and sort out a way to stop the offence on long drives. And, when your offence is consistently doing that, eventually, you're going to run out of ideas and load up on tired players. Plus, it tires out the defence making them susceptible to giving up big plays later. In essence, teams are giving our defence a taste of its own medicine with what we are supposed to do to teams, and it's working. So, to fix it, I think we should try to trade for a very good 1T DT such as Geno Atkins (Bengals DT) for a 3, Josh Tupou (Bengals DT) for a 5, or Kyle Peko of the Bills for a 5. This would allow us a better ability to stop the run, thus, giving our defence a better ability to clamp down and stop opposing teams. Also, a really good 1T can push the pocket meaning the QB won't be able to escape up the middle. Therefore, Quinn and Tank should be able to track down the QB who will be helpless to escape.

I'd also look at trying to pluck some players from other team's PS that are 1T if we don't want to give up draft picks. Examples would be Bills DT Vincent Taylor, Ufomba Kamalu (Pats DT on their PS), or John Atkins (Lions DT). Thus, they could do a similar job without using up a draft pick. This would help turn around the slump and team and turn a weakness into a stable position for now/a band-aid until the draft.
They should be thinking about doing whatever it takes to turn this back around right now. Some sack and TFL production would go a long way to getting momentum back on this team's side. I always felt Garret's job was safe in the past, times have changed and i think he's very close to getting the boot. If the Cowboys lose 2 out of the next 3, or if they lose to the Jets, i think Garrett might be gone soon afterwards. Like Garrett or not it would be better if they start winning again and Garret finishes out the year with a playoff loss. A coaching change is needed regardless, but it would be better to do it after the season if they can ride out this storm with a playoff appearance/loss.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
They should be thinking about doing whatever it takes to turn this back around right now. Some sack and TFL production would go a long way to getting momentum back on this team's side. I always felt Garret's job was safe in the past, times have changed and i think he's very close to getting the boot. If the Cowboys lose 2 out of the next 3, or if they lose to the Jets, i think Garrett might be gone soon afterwards. Like Garrett or not it would be better if they start winning again and Garret finishes out the year with a playoff loss. A coaching change is needed regardless, but it would be better to do it after the season if they can ride out this storm with a playoff appearance/loss.

I think a coaching change is needed as well. However, tanking isn't the answer, and were far too ahead in the win column at the moment to do anything useful with it. Might as well try to see what we can do to fix our problems. I think a DT, like the ones I've mentioned, and a kicker, like the one I keep on about, would be the easiest fixes we can do now. If we can fix those two, it'll go a long way for us improving our season and giving us a little never stay in the playoffs.

75boyz

Reaction score
What a dumb thread.......if you give up that easy stay out of the military.

Strange...

Over 20 yrs active service
Retired disabled vet

Over half of my time spent in a part of the world where the culture is brainwashed to hate everything and even kill everything American if able

Not to go too Colonel Jessup on ya and I mean I wouldn’t order the Code Red on Private Santiago but maybe I have an opinion that’s a little different that could be just as deserving of respect as any other opinion

Kinda thought that’s why I served...

To fight for ALL the different freedoms we enjoy, especially speech and regardless of the opinion

Hmmmm