Should Dallas not extend Zeke?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
1st off Murray is not as good as Zeke and 2nd Murray went to a system in Philly that did not fit him, after being released he put up a very good season in Tenn. Murray also dealt with more injuries that Zeke has not had in his career. No way would I let Zeke go unless I was getting multi 1st rd picks and likely other selection within the draft

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Might not be a popular thing to talk about. But might be the smart thing to do. The Cowboys made that absolute right decision not to resign DeMarco Murray fresh off an 1800 yard season. He was the 4th best player in the league at the time, according to the top 100 players. He was also a 3rd round 71st player taken in the draft. Solid RB's can be found in the later rounds.

He also lasted only 3 years after the Cowboys wisely let him walk. They could have been on the hook with him like they were with Marion Barber. Paying for a player that wasn't even in the league anymore.

Murray 934 att 4526 yds 28 TDs 1200 receiving 1 TD (remember that TD? Skins?)
Elliott 868 att 4048 yds 28 TDs 1199 receiving 6 TDs

Similar Stats. Although Murray's are over 4 years, he wasn't used as much his rookie year and only had about 500 yards. They are doing the same thing with Zeke. Running him into the ground. He will blow by Murray's carry totals easily this coming year. They've been lucky he's been so durable. There is nobody behind him. The smart move may be franchising him for a year possibly, and then say adios.
Zeke does not to be extended until after 2021

He is under the 5th year option next year and then can be FT in 2021

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
The only concerns regarding signing Zeke to a large extension:

1. RBs have been shown through data to give the smallest impact in deciding games amongst positions in the NFL

2. Teams that have given big money to RBs on 2nd contracts in last ten years have all gone on to regret their decision

3. Zeke started showing signs of injury hobbling him the back half of last season

4. Zeke will have a ton of mileage on him when the extension comes up, and that has also shown to be a negative.

5. Despite how elite he is as a running back, it's had nearly not effect on the offensive performance comparing him when he's on and off the field.

6. Susceptable to suspension and has exhibited behavior that might lead to suspensions down the road. Ex. Saint Patty's day, which I'm shocked he didnt get punishment for.

7. You lose out on compensation for letting him leave, whether it be comp pick or trade value.

Other than that

LittleD

Reaction score
Zeke is good...real good but, no RB is worth a second contract. Just run that horse into the ground then get a new one.
RB's are dime a dozen and you can always find a good RB in the draft and not necessarily in the 1st round.

Common Sense

Reaction score
Zeke is good...real good but, no RB is worth a second contract. Just run that horse into the ground then get a new one.
RB's are dime a dozen and you can always find a good RB in the draft and not necessarily in the 1st round.

Smart teams know and take advantage of this fact, freeing up scarce resources elsewhere. Dumb teams do the same thing over and over promising that this time is different. It never is.

Verdict

Reaction score
That would be idiotic. More fear from the "men" these days.

Zeke is 23 years old. He's one of the greats the position has seen over the last 20 years. He's nothing like DeMarco Murray, who I campaigned for not bringing back.

Not only should they extend Elliott, they should do it this offseason. Give him a new deal that takes him to 30 years of age. It would be one of the safest contracts in the league as only an unforeseen injury would give you buyers remorse.

If you are going to let either Tank or Zeke walk you say bye to Tank right now. I have been saying this for a while.

We have several guys who are going to get big contracts coming up. Dak, Zeke, Amari, Tank, Byron, Jaylon. We CAN sign all of them but if we do we are going to be tight against the cap going forward. We may CHOOSE to retain some flexibility moving forward by not resigning all of them.

Tank may not the first guy on the list you would want to let walk, but on the other hand if his contract demands are too high, he makes it easy to move on from him.

Verdict

Reaction score
Smart teams know and take advantage of this fact, freeing up scarce resources elsewhere. Dumb teams do the same thing over and over promising that this time is different. It never is.

It depends on what his contract demands are and what your replacement options are. Tank gets 8 sacks per season. Elliott touches the ball 30 times per game. Tank doesn't have 20 percent of the impact on the team that Elliott does.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
Should the Cowboys not extend Zeke or should the Cowboys extend Zeke. Two different questions. If you're asking should they extend him this year I would say no. I'd give him the franchise tag in 2020. Depends on how he performs if he isn't extended in 2019 but thems the risks. Suppose he could hold out and walk away from $7 mill

Last edited:

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
If you are going to let either Tank or Zeke walk you say bye to Tank right now. I have been saying this for a while.

We have several guys who are going to get big contracts coming up. Dak, Zeke, Amari, Tank, Byron, Jaylon. We CAN sign all of them but if we do we are going to be tight against the cap going forward. We may CHOOSE to retain some flexibility moving forward by not resigning all of them.

Tank may not the first guy on the list you would want to let walk, but on the other hand if his contract demands are too high, he makes it easy to move on from him.

Meh, we got a Taco salad, let Tank walk

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Zeke does not to be extended until after 2021

He is under the 5th year option next year and then can be FT in 2021

tenor.gif

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Just look at the Rams and signing Gurley before they had to. Think they're not second-guessing that right now?
o_O

LittleD

Reaction score
I like how the majority of posters on this forum say "churn and burn the RBs", "RBs are a dime a dozen", then lose their poop when Rod Smith checks into the game.

Rod Smith and even Zeke can be replaced... Easy!

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
Pay Zeke now.

Don't give him a 3rd contract but make sure he's locked up for his prime years and lets get out of the deal when he is 28 or 29.

He can wait at least one more year but we have to pay him

mattjames2010

Reaction score
1st off Murray is not as good as Zeke and 2nd Murray went to a system in Philly that did not fit him, after being released he put up a very good season in Tenn. Murray also dealt with more injuries that Zeke has not had in his career. No way would I let Zeke go unless I was getting multi 1st rd picks and likely other selection within the draft

There's good reason why no team would give up multiple firsts for an RB at 23 in their absolute prime.